Burmese Ruby

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

cleopatra

Registered Shopper
I see they have a burmese ruby pendant in the new items thread, I though I read somewhere it was Gems TV policy not to buy from myanamar?

Cleopatra

Last edited:
tut tut tut BAD GEMS,!!!!!!

Nothing shocks me anymore with the shambles that gems has turned into.I still love my fave presenters but as for the channel itself? well .... This just takes the biscuit.!!!!!

They had one on TV a couple of weeks ago and when they said it was Burmese Ruby I thought I'd misheard them! Didn't want to open another can of worms by mentioning it on here though!

I've e-mailed them about this and have had a standard sort of replying saying it has been passed on and I should hear back within 5 days.

Reply from
Tony Hillyer<o></o>
Group Chief Operating Officer | GemsTV

"Basically this question has arisen because some people ‘look-up’ stock on the website by putting in sequential codes

In this instance we were sent a Burmese ruby product from Thailand in error – it is not and has not been for sale, and has been returned to Thailand."

They have not replied to my e-mail yet. :rolleyes:

If they received them in error and they have sent them back they should not have listed the items on the website at all and should remove them now.

I thought it was because the gems are filtered and exported via Thailand, they cease to have "Burmese" credentials on a technicality. Profit will always find a logistical way around such a roadblock.

The Thais routinely deal with Burmese gemstones as you will see from items listed in ebay.

However, good on GTV for returning the rogue item to Thailand. No doubt it will pass on to other hands.

Maybe he means that they don't sell Burmese rubies in the UK. Plasmanoodle has seen some on their US branch. I'm very pleased that they don't plan to sell them here, but that must mean that they still stock them. On a different note, I've watched a bit of Gems today and am a bit shocked by the prices - is it just me or have they gone up a lot recently?

Not nice to see "cruelty" gems being traded anywhere, especially here in the UK. TJC sell them, so I won't but any of their stones, rubies or otherwise. I vote with my feet and TJC are boycotted by me!

Gems usually state the origins of their stones but their diamonds are usually just "African". That covers a multitude of sins and Africa is not cruelty free. They don't manufacture all their own pieces anymore, this allows more scope for error and rogue stones creeping into the UK.

Anyway folks, well done for complaining to them, keep up the good work and don't lower standards! :)

They had one on TV a couple of weeks ago and when they said it was Burmese Ruby I thought I'd misheard them! Didn't want to open another can of worms by mentioning it on here though!

If it was in any way not 'really' a Burmese ruby, why did they describe it as such on air?

I think Gems are pulling our plonkers..

Gems usually state the origins of their stones but their diamonds are usually just "African". That covers a multitude of sins and Africa is not cruelty free.

I think their diamonds are non-conflict - do I remember that being said somewhere or am I imagining it?

Last edited:
Reply from
Tony Hillyer<o></o>
Group Chief Operating Officer | GemsTV

"Basically this question has arisen because some people ‘look-up’ stock on the website by putting in sequential codes

In this instance we were sent a Burmese ruby product from Thailand in error – it is not and has not been for sale, and has been returned to Thailand."

Hmmm. Doesn't explain that the one that was on air though, does it? They might just as well admit that they have - inadvertently or otherwise - offered them for sale in the UK.

Not watched for ages, but have previously heard them say on numerous occasions that their diamonds are conflict free

Latest posts

Back