Bye bye Claire

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm glad to see the back of her!

In the middle of the Covid crisis when hundreds were dying every day she suggested that viewers bought an EEK ring as a keepsake and reminder so in years to come you could say 'that is my lockdown ring'

I know presenters say daft things sometimes, (well most of the time) but that was beyond thoughtless and she should have been sacked that day!

If the pandemic has done any good, it has helped people realise what is important in their lives. Don't take loved ones for granted, and treasure your time with them. Prioritise what matters most to you.

If Claire is in the fortunate position where she doesn't have to work, for a time at least, then good luck to her.

I found 'lockdown' quite relaxing actually. No commitments to 'stress' over, in fact not having to bother about anything at all was quite lovely. The only decisions were what to have to eat, and what tv programmes to watch or book to read. And not being of the Zoom generation, and no close family, I was spared the stuttering breakdowns of communication that this technology is hampered with.

I appreciate living cooped up in tower blocks with family for weeks would drive most people nuts, but I've been reading about celebrities being 'depressed' about their situation. Well having worked in a psychiatric unit for many years, being sad/unhappy for a couple of weeks is not depression.

lockdown is stressful for the younger generation with young children and huge bills. My neighbour lockdown nearly killed him with the loneliness he suffered. Living on his own now working from home the depression really hit him hard. He relies on his local for meals and a pint and a chat all that was gone for him. Domestic violence in overdrive and mental health where people are living in constant fear of dying or their families dying. Lockdown for me is some of the darkest days I have ever witnessed!

Rather than being finished by Q I get the impression it’s more about moving forward with Tom’s future in whatever that maybe........

Many Downs adults live independently and have jobs. There is a young woman in my local Sainsbury she lives in a house renting a room the house is large and quite a few live there I see her walking to works and she gets on the bus into the city centre and shops. There is a young man with Downs has worked in my local M&S for years. A young woman from Belfast is actually a model and has even walked in Belfast Fashion Week and modelled clothes in magazines not local ones.

This lockdown has been a big shock to many people. For some its been a positive thing but for others it`s been a nightmare. I know people who normally spend very little time in their own home, they drop their kids off at childminders then commute to work, long drives and long days and then another long commute home, see their youngsters for maybe an hour before bedtime and then it`s the same routine every day and then try to cram everything ie family time, grocery shopping, household chores etc into an all too short weekend.
Being furloughed or working from home has enabled a lot of families to have far more time together and enjoy it. My son`s friend is a prime example, she`s a single Mum, a civilian manager for GMP and has a 7 year old son who under normal circumstances she only sees him for a couple of hours a day.
Of course there are many people who hate the lockdown. They hate being isolated, fear for their jobs or are a people person and love being around others all the time. My husband`s niece is one of those and she`s actually suffered severe anxiety and been on medication for it during lockdown and simply can`t cope being at home 24/7 and away from her friends and colleagues. Her kids are grown and away in their own homes, she`s been unable to see her grandkids because her hubby has a heart condition so he`s been shielding and she`s actually begun drinking a lot because she relied so heavily on her colleagues and friends for company other than her husband and she`s also the main bread winner because he doesn`t work. She says she feels trapped.
One of my own sons is utterly exhausted because he`s working such long long hours and more shifts than usual, many of them 24 hour shifts involving sleep overs. He works with children in care, the kids have lots of issues both behavioural and psychological and many have come from abusive backgrounds. Two staff members have been shielding because they are pregnant, other staff have had to self isolate because either they or a family member have shown signs of Covid and the home where my son works has to be staffed 24/7 so he has been under tremendous stress and his partner is a nurse so they`ve been like ships passing in the night for months.
And so it goes on, peoples lives turned upside down, domestic violence increasing, addictive gambling increasing, alcohol abuse increasing, relationships being tested like never before, mental health deteriorating and peoples livelihoods at risk. Is this the new normal ?

They are predicting a baby boom around New Year but I think that parents who rarely have to cope with their own children who now have them all day it might prove a great contraceptive.

i know in firms where furlough has been given to mothers only has caused problems as non mothers feel that it is just a paid holiday. Where I work mothers got furlough, vunerable were put on sick and non mothers had to work through it. I was off (age group) for a while but mothers are still off and will be until August. I can hear and see mumblings and can see where they are coming from especially if both parents were furloughed.

Last edited:
I know a lot of parents have struggled with childcare during lock down. Childminders stopped minding children, before and after school clubs were closed, only key worker children or high risk children were accepted in nurseries and schools and many grandparents couldn`t childcare either.
My DIL works in a nursery and at one time they had only 4 key worker children going in and we live directly opposite a nursery adjoined to a primary school and I`ve only ever seen a handful of children during lockdown. My youngest grandchild is at Primary school but its a very old building with small classrooms and they are really struggling to comply with social distancing especially now more children are due to return and the whole school will be expected to return come September.
In 2 parent families I daresay both parents can try to work childcare between them but single parents will obviously find it harder especially if their usual childcare facility such as a childminder or school club isn`t available.
My oldest son is in the Army so he usually lives in barracks Monday to Friday and his wife and children live a 4 hour drive away and he comes home at weekends. Luckily my DIL who works in a nursery has had her hours cut back by the nursery itself so she`s been able to look after the girls with little or no problem. Many soldiers wives aren`t that lucky and they`re frequently long distances away from their families.

Lockdown has affected us all in different ways. I know someone who is absolutely thriving - he's perfectly happy with his own company, doesn't need much social contact, shares his hobby both online and over the phone with a friend every day and is generally very self-sufficient, even though he hasn't been through his front door in weeks. Others have made it work for them or are JAMs (just about managing), while others still as someone said are people persons and are suffering through lack of social contact. There are no rights or wrongs any more - but love, respect and tolerance have come to the fore. I know someone who lost her husband just before lockdown and has had real grief and anger issues. All anyone can do from a distance is to listen and support. Thankfully I sense she's gradually losing the anger and coming to terms with her new life, very slowly. We're all different - we can't control how we will react to extreme stress, which this situation is, but everyone should know where to get help and not feel ashamed to ask.
The little-girl voice wasn't natural so Claire may have had to put on a different persona for the job, which meant it wasn't really for her. It may be that lockdown has helped her re-evaluate her life and if so, she's making the right choice because it's right at the time - or it may just be that her contract wasn't renewed - but I wish her and her family well whatever.

The little-girl voice wasn't natural so Claire may have had to put on a different persona for the job, which meant it wasn't really for her. It may be that lockdown has helped her re-evaluate her life and if so, she's making the right choice because it's right at the time - or it may just be that her contract wasn't renewed - but I wish her and her family well whatever.
You know, I never thought of that and I do it a lot. Putting on a front or a face just to get out there and do it. If you're pretending to be someone else then it's not actually you that's having to deal with the shoo shoo or whatever else. Sorry if I was mean about Claire sometimes (and I have been) and I wish her all the best for whatever comes next.

CC

I get down as I am missing meeting family and friends for lunch or coffee or just to give a hug and kiss. We have self isolated since the beginning of March. We have started to take our thermal jugs with coffee and go out in the car a couple of times a week. No way will we be going into shops, cafes or restaurants anytime soon. I am not convinced it will be over for months,unfortunately.

I’ve never seen Claire Sutton act any different off screen than when she’s on it and I expect that’s when most of us see her who aren’t her friends and family. I’ve not, as far as I’m concerned, been mean about Claire Sutton I’ve just stated what I’ve seen before my eyes. I think the only face, and voice, she was putting on was one to attract buyers because I doubt she’d be able to put a face on like that for 22 years consistently the same never changing. I’m sure she’s a lovely woman and I’ve never once said that she isn’t, my comments were purely on that baby voice that didn’t suit a mature woman of that age and I stand by it. Adding to that though I wouldn’t wish illness on anyone.

LATI....... " but I think that parents who rarely have to cope with their own children who now have them all day it might prove a great contraceptive. "

That's a very telling sentence - rarely having to cope with their own children and now have them all day. Two things spring to mind, a) why have them in the first place if they're know they will be out at work all day and put them in the care of others ? - I hadn't realised there was a category called evening and weekend children, and b) isn't it surprising that somehow since Adam and Eve, women had children and managed to be with them all day ? it was called rearing and nurturing.

We are all different! Never has a simply statement meant so much.I am single, without family now but suffered a close friend bereavement just weeks before lockdown.I am coming through because I sought and paid for counselling and have wonderful neighbours, but thankfully have my own inner strength and a strong survival instinct.Some are not as fortunate as me .When I hear grandparents going into a deep depression because they cannot hug their little ones,I think ,wait it is only a matter of time! Some suffer depression and that is serious but if you can help yourself and have a positive attitude then you have a quality that is truly worth so much.It is a hard slog but we have it within ourselves to make it, or seriously acknowledge if you need help, go for it, their is no failure in asking for support.I did!

Latest posts

Back