Cake pops advice

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
I absolutely love cake pops, but they're just so expensive to buy for what they are. I tried to make my own, and they were reasonably successful, but nowhere near as nice as the ones you buy in the shops. I thought of buying one of the machines, but it soon dawned on me that they don't actually make cake pops, just little balls of sponge cake, by the time you've bought the sticks, the decorating stands etc, you may have well have made a decent size batch of cupcakes. Cake pops are not just decorated balls of sponge cake on a stick. They're rich inside like truffles, this is because you need to mix icing into crumbled up sponge cake, shape them, chill them, then cover in choc etc.

Does anyone have a good recipe to make them the old fashioned way? Like I said I half guessed a recipe, and it turned out Ok, but it's FAB i'm after!!!

I really do wish someone could invent a machine that produced proper cake pops, but somehow, I can't see how that would be possible...Oh well!

I haven't a clue how to make them, but they are yummy, so declicious. One of the nurses in work made them, and

she got the recipe from one of the magazines you buy, and covered them with different tops :)

I haven't a clue how to make them, but they are yummy, so declicious. One of the nurses in work made them, and

she got the recipe from one of the magazines you buy, and covered them with different tops :)

Hello Barbs, glad to see you

Thanks...At least that kit recognises that cake pops aren't just bits of sponge cake on a stick!...sadly too expensive for what it is. It only makes 15 and by the time you've added the butter it would work out far cheaper to by shop bought ready made ones! Pity the kit didn't come with a special mould.

Last edited:
This is an interesting thread - I had never hear of cake pops until I saw a "tin thing" in lakeland a couple of weeks ago. I am looking for different things to do for a wedding party later in the year and this has sparked my interest. They sound yummy too. Thanks folks!

Qvc sell a kit to make the kind of cake pops u are after, however its almost £20 and on waitlist but they do have a video of the presentation online , it may give u a few hints and tips heres the link

http://www.qvcuk.com/Cake-Pop-Heave...c=801552-SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-2-_-801552

Watched the QVC video and as they had sold out I had a look aroud and have just bought the same kit on ebay this morning for £12.95 with free p&p! Cant wait to get it - really excited about having a go. Although ! dont think i will be eating many as I am attending Slimming World at the moment. Life is so unfair sometimes LOL.

Watched the QVC video and as they had sold out I had a look aroud and have just bought the same kit on ebay this morning for £12.95 with free p&p! Cant wait to get it - really excited about having a go. Although ! dont think i will be eating many as I am attending Slimming World at the moment. Life is so unfair sometimes LOL.

Thats a bargain then lol i did think the £20+p&p was expensive. Let us know how you get on.Create and Creat have alot of shows making Cake pops but they use the moulds to do it but they often have tips for decorating them .

I'd never heard of cake pops until I read this thread. Are they becoming the new cupcake, do you think?

Anyway, I found quite a good how-to website with lots of suggestions for frostings and toppings, as well as recipe ideas.
It's American, but Brit-friendly, and it gives amounts in ounces, not cups.

http://divascancook.com/2012/04/how-to-make-cake-pops-easy-best.html

Thanks Sublime, similar instruction to the qvc video, but nice to have the actual recipe rather than having to buy the kit again.

M, I was looking for silicone cake moulds today and happened to see this, have ordered myself - any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sweetly-Does-It-Twenty-Silicone/dp/B007J3JMUU/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1361811659&sr=1-1

Hello Frazzled, forgive my ignorance, but having viewed the video Sublime posted and the qvc video, I am unsure where the cake pop tins fit in exactly, as the video shows the balls just being made by rolling them in your hands. Is there another way of doing it?

Ok, forget my last post, I have found the answer. I had a look at the reviews on amazon for the mould you have just bought Frazzled and I GET IT now! Obviously a different way of making them without the icing being mixed in - just cake! Good reviews on the mould though and lots of advice as to how much mixture to put in. I particularly took note of the person who said to put a wire rack on top of the mould when its in the oven to stop it lifting up, thus keeping the cakes round in shape. Let us know how you get on.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance as well, never made them before!

I like your idea of using them for a celebration and think I'm going to do just that in July. I shall need quite a lot and intend to make and freeze in advance, I'm hoping the silicone mould will be less messy and ensure they are of even size, and the stick won't move while they freeze. Then I can bag in batches and decorate a day or two before. This is the theory lol! I shall do a test batch soon to see if it works OK.

Thanks for the videos all, the idea of having the chocolate in something tall and narrow is a good one :up:

OK RG - you must have posted while I was compiling mine lol!

You'll have to forgive my ignorance as well, never made them before!

I like your idea of using them for a celebration and think I'm going to do just that in July. I shall need quite a lot and intend to make and freeze in advance, I'm hoping the silicone mould will be less messy and ensure they are of even size, and the stick won't move while they freeze. Then I can bag in batches and decorate a day or two before. This is the theory lol! I shall do a test batch soon to see if it works OK.

Thanks for the videos all, the idea of having the chocolate in something tall and narrow is a good one :up:

OK RG - you must have posted while I was compiling mine lol!

Not sure if you watch it but Create and craft sell the mould, they also sell a cake pop machine that makes 12 in 5 mins, really impressed by it and its around the £25 mark.

For the electric cake pop maker the range is called Gourmet Gadgetry, the demos were impressive especially if ur looking to make a fair few cake pops.

Latest posts

Back