Camping - Yes or No?!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think my love of camping also faded with the fact I only do it for festivals nowadays, which are notorious for bad weather, mud, overinflated prices. I think maybe I might still enjoy a few days on a smaller, well organised camping site. There used to be a brilliant one local to me that had proper parking facilities close by, so you didn't to lug all your stuff through fields, you were given a pitch number, and facilities included a large toilet/shower block with hot and cold running water and proper toilets, a club house that also had toilets. You could play pool, table tennis, darts etc, it had a jukebox and they served full English breakfasts in the morning and other snacks and refreshments throughout the day. Behind the clubhouse was a well stocked camping shop where you could buy groceries, camping equipment and various other things. I stayed there a couple of times with mates back in the day and we had an absolute blast!
Have you camped abroad? If so, how does it compare with doing it in the UK?

I have no desire ever again to sleep in a chilly damp sleeping bag, I think the last time was 1984. To pee in a mud, and worse, encrusted honeywagon... (My bladder is unlikely to hold for long enough to get across a muddy field these days anyway!) Before lockdown (and prior to Sidney's, the cat, diabetes) I have been known to attend the odd folk festival, and I always chose one that I could book into a nearby bnb... I even went to Butlins in skegness a couple of times. Even though I don't use a hairdryer, I want to know I could if I needed and somewhere to plug in my kindle and phone...

I'm lucky that one of the group we camp with is a seasoned camper and brings everything but the kitchen sink..no scrap that - does a collapsible washing up bowl count? What's more, he brings more than enough so that everybody is sorted - Industrial sized phone/appliance chargers, lighting, extra seating, air matresses, and electric pumps. If I had to slum it with the basics that I possess, and that's a one person pop up tent and sleeping bag...I'd probably think twice about going these days at my age...I'm too old to go slumming it to that degree!

Latest posts

Back