Cath Kidston

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Never will I watch with PS presenting, I’d sooner stick hot glass down my finger nails, in fact I mostly only shop on IW website and will never watch an ex Bid Tv presenter, I’d do time for that Mike Mason. I’ve got to say though I’m liking the purse and one of the bags so with capped postage and free returns you know what? I’m getting them. 😃

Peter Simon completely ruined that programme, he was incoherent at times and Sheila had to carry him at times. Why on earth do Ideal.World carry on using him?

I’ve no idea, I can’t even bear to listen to him he’s also disgusting and gets away with sexual innuendo on screen, don’t ask me how. They more than likely renewed his contract years ago, bet they’re kicking themselves now.

Yeah I seem to remember hearing something about Kath Kidston going bust, so obvs iw have picked up some bankrupt stock but still asking £85 for a pvc tote bag and £40 for a purse. I've never bought into this sort of thing. Orla Kiely's another one..you could buy two identical water bottles and because it's got Kidston or Kiely's design on it, it's £40 ..the other one might also have a pretty floral design but it's £15..Stuff that!

Yeah I seem to remember hearing something about Kath Kidston going bust, so obvs iw have picked up some bankrupt stock but still asking £85 for a pvc tote bag and £40 for a purse. I've never bought into this sort of thing. Orla Kiely's another one..you could buy two identical water bottles and because it's got Kidston or Kiely's design on it, it's £40 ..the other one might also have a pretty floral design but it's £15..Stuff that!

It's back to this thing about branding. I remember many years ago going into a shop with a mate. They sold designer Italian clothing and accessories. We were in our late teens and it was the first time I'd seen stuff at these prices (this was well before the Internet etc.) I'll never forget seeing a woman walking around the (relatively small) store with a guy who must have been her husband, sugar daddy or PA. It was like something from a movie, she was literally walking around saying 'I'll have one of those ... and one of those ... and one of those ...' Almost like that scene in the Michael Jackson Martin Bashir documentary when they're in the store that's opened just for Michael.

Anyway I digress. We had both intended to buy something, however on seeing the prices I soon changed my mind! My mate though was determined to buy something. Fair enough. He settled on a plain white t-shirt, and I mean a plain white t-shirt. Bar a small stitched logo, can't remember the brand.

Bear in mind this was easily 30 years ago. Guess how much he paid for it?

£80

That's successful branding :)

It's back to this thing about branding. I remember many years ago going into a shop with a mate. They sold designer Italian clothing and accessories. We were in our late teens and it was the first time I'd seen stuff at these prices (this was well before the Internet etc.) I'll never forget seeing a woman walking around the (relatively small) store with a guy who must have been her husband, sugar daddy or PA. It was like something from a movie, she was literally walking around saying 'I'll have one of those ... and one of those ... and one of those ...' Almost like that scene in the Michael Jackson Martin Bashir documentary when they're in the store that's opened just for Michael.

Anyway I digress. We had both intended to buy something, however on seeing the prices I soon changed my mind! My mate though was determined to buy something. Fair enough. He settled on a plain white t-shirt, and I mean a plain white t-shirt. Bar a small stitched logo, can't remember the brand.

Bear in mind this was easily 30 years ago. Guess how much he paid for it?

£80

That's successful branding :)

I know people will pay for a name...sometimes it's justified eg, you'll pay more for a pair of Levis ..you might pay a lot less for an unknown/budget brand but you won't be sure of the durability, so I can understand that. Jeans are what Levis do, you might even pay a bit more for a t shirt with obvious Levis branding...and I can also understand that. What I do think is crazy is like the example you gave ie paying a ridiculous premium for a practically invisible logo or just a label in the back that nobody can see for something that you can buy in M&S, Primark even with comparible quality. The likes of Kath Kidston/Orla Kiely are even more of a waste of money imvho as they aren't really famous for anything other than a particular colour scheme or flower design..meaning that can bung that on any item eg a drinking glass or a water bottle and charge well over the odds for it. I guess your mate got a momentary buzz after coming out of that shop with something in a bag, but he got ripped off big time...If I'm spending out on something so mundane then the branding needs to be obvious! Like you say..that's successful branding...and I'll be honest I'm not at all sorry to hear Kidston's gone bust...she doesn't "do" anything over than overcharge..and IW are still over charging for her goods even though the brand is defunct!

I know people will pay for a name...sometimes it's justified eg, you'll pay more for a pair of Levis ..you might pay a lot less for an unknown/budget brand but you won't be sure of the durability, so I can understand that. Jeans are what Levis do, you might even pay a bit more for a t shirt with obvious Levis branding...and I can also understand that. What I do think is crazy is like the example you gave ie paying a ridiculous premium for a practically invisible logo or just a label in the back that nobody can see for something that you can buy in M&S, Primark even with comparible quality. The likes of Kath Kidston/Orla Kiely are even more of a waste of money imvho as they aren't really famous for anything other than a particular colour scheme or flower design..meaning that can bung that on any item eg a drinking glass or a water bottle and charge well over the odds for it. I guess your mate got a momentary buzz after coming out of that shop with something in a bag, but he got ripped off big time...If I'm spending out on something so mundane then the branding needs to be obvious! Like you say..that's successful branding...and I'll be honest I'm not at all sorry to hear Kidston's gone bust...she doesn't "do" anything over than overcharge..and IW are still over charging for her goods even though the brand is defunct!

Yeah I agree with you, the old adage 'you get what you pay for' is often true … to an extent. Using your jeans analogy, if you buy a pair of jeans for £9.99 from a supermarket or budget chain you will often (always?) see a difference in the quality of the denim, cut and stitching when compared to the likes of Levi's. However will you see the same difference between the Levi's and a pair of whatever costing £299.99? Nope. Branding :)

And don't get me wrong, it's all relative I suppose. If I had the £££ to burn I'd probably quite happily treat myself to the occasional 'you paid how much?!?' item :)

Latest posts

Back