Catherine you lied

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I was wondering if CH wasn't given the information in her ear piece and was relaying what she was told or maybe she made a genuine mistake. I think it a bit harsh to call her a liar.

Eeee dear, hope you never have a real life crisis - this is annoying, yes, but I'm sure a lot of people would give their right arm to have a nail file 'crisis' instead of other problems.

I think that's rather an unfair comment to make.

The OP has stated an issue she has about shopping telly selling techniques on a shopping telly internet forum that is designed for people to discuss their experiences of shopping telly, both good and bad.

Yes, there are worse things that can happen, but does that mean that we don't have the right to get things off our chests just because they're not necessarily "earth shattering" enough for you?

If a presenter on a shopping channel is deemed to have mis-sold an item, then they should be called on it: what are we, sheep? Should we just sit back and let our hard-earned cash go to waste just because you don't see it as a major issue?

Or is it the fact that it's a nail file set and not an expensive piece of jewellery? Well, the cost doesn't matter as the principle's the same. Mis-selling is mis-selling, and if you allow it on one product you can't protest if it happens on a pricier one.

Customers have rights and many organisations try and bluff their way out of adhering to those rights - this forum is an invaluable way for myself and others to get advice and share experiences of shopping telly, or even to get support where we are having to fight shoddy customer service.

I'm sorry you don't see that as worthwhile: but I am curious - if you see bad customer service as a minor problem, why are you posting on here?

Last edited:
Eeee dear, hope you never have a real life crisis - this is annoying, yes, but I'm sure a lot of people would give their right arm to have a nail file 'crisis' instead of other problems.

Ho Hum...........There's always one................

NOT a 'crisis' LoopyLoo just disgruntled at being misled and thought this was the place to air my annoyance and 'share' my feelings.

(Btw Thanks Klarion you said it better than I could X)

inatizzy

Last edited:
I was wondering if CH wasn't given the information in her ear piece and was relaying what she was told or maybe she made a genuine mistake. I think it a bit harsh to call her a liar.

That's where the production team should have stepped in and corrected her - after all, they'd be able to check which product had the fab reviews and which one had the awful ones. Let's face it: the production team are quick enough to correct presenters with stock updates live on air, aren't they?

But she wasn't corrected. So I don't think the OP went far enough: CH's comment wasn't corrected, so QVC is guilty of mis-selling.

That's where the production team should have stepped in and corrected her - after all, they'd be able to check which product had the fab reviews and which one had the awful ones. Let's face it: the production team are quick enough to correct presenters with stock updates live on air, aren't they?

But she wasn't corrected. So I don't think the OP went far enough: CH's comment wasn't corrected, so QVC is guilty of mis-selling.

I take your point and perhaps she should have been corrected at the time but with all the products they sell, once in a while mistakes are bound to happen and some things unfortunately slip throught the net.

I can totally understand your annoyance inatizzy and agree with what klarion said.

CH has been misleading before - I was watching a Bare Escentuals show and she was encouraging everyone to buy the larger size of foundation because the smaller one cost £22 which it didn't at the time (was on introductory price) so people would save more. She mentioned this several times in the show (which was irritating in itself) so there were ample opportunities to correct her. On another occasion, she gave incorrect information about price to size ratio on the High Street - ie. indicating how much cheaper QVC was. I'm not saying QVC wasn't cheaper and that buying the larger size foundation wouldn't be cheaper if one is comparing price per gram, but the information she gave was wrong and therefore QVC in my view were guilty of misrepresentation.

I mentioned on a previous thread about a product I bought which the presenters said would last months and only lasted me 6 weeks, but because I was outside the 30 day mbg they wouldn't give me a refund. I accepted a replacement but I wasn't happy. They just wouldn't budge but this was a long time ago and I think I would stick up for my rights more now!

As others have said, ask for a pre-paid label and return the item - asap!

I take your point and perhaps she should have been corrected at the time but with all the products they sell, once in a while mistakes are bound to happen and some things unfortunately slip throught the net.

Yes, mistakes do happen. But I still think it's strange that the production team would allow a presenter to come right out with something that was blatently untrue without correcting them.

There are regulations about making false claims for items - google FSA complaints for any shopping channel and you'll find a fair few "mistakes" that went uncorrected. Shopping channels are supposed to be VERY wary of making false claims - it's such a basic part of their business that I'm surprised that QVC (with their claim of "Quality, Value and Convenience") would let this go.

Don't complain about a fly in the soup, after all it might upset the waiter!

QVC state they are required to give the correct information, but they on many times make mistakes and the presenters are told to make corrections live on air.
Saying an item has more favourable reviews is misselling how ever it is done it is really wrong and shouldn't go without questions.
I've heard far more comments and calling of certain presenters who have said, oh I love, use this, been given this etc. etc. etc. then later appear to contradict themselves.
Misquoting QVC's reviews regulated by outside body designed to assist buyers with their purchase is totally out of order which ever presenter liked or otherwise, is against the principles of their usage.
It has been pointed out on other threads that comments like this item has 5 star reviews, yes it may well have but it could also have double the amount in 1 star reviews.
Perhaps someone who chats on twitter with Catherine will ask her to comment on who's mistake it was.

They really need to be made accountable with regarding to quoting the reviews and work far harder to get our hard earned money.

Hahahaha I have to agree Loopy in the scheme of things nail files don't really come top of my list of priorities either! Now a nice lip gloss might be different! :happy:

Last edited:
not the sweetest chuntley

i think catherine gets carried away quite a bit. i remember in the summer when bose was selling one of their music systems i asked customer services to ask the presenters if there were buttons on the actual machine as well as as the remote.

they went on air and obviously asked her to check which she did. there were no buttons so if you lost the remote you would not be able to use the system properly. not once did the bose presenter or catherine mention this.

but she did say eventually on air that" the machine does not have operating buttons but who needs them anyway" just like that." the machine looks better without them."

considering catherine comes across as quite benine and sweet when it comes to the hard sell she is as hard as steel!:down:

Er, Hello?? This is a forum about shopping telly????
Let the lady have a bliddy rant if she wants, without trying to patronise her. For a start you have no idea what 'real life' crises she or anyone here may or may not have had or be having but that's not what the post was about. All she wanted to do was let off a bit of steam. :dull:

Hello again :)

I have this morning advised C/service of the FALSE claims made during the presentation of this product and am awaiting a call from the 'appropriate department'

One should not have to 'double-check' online whether or not what the presenter has just said with regard to reviews is correct or in fact a blatant lie.

This is NOT in fact a major crisis in my life,

BUT

To be left feeling 'duped' is unacceptable.

Will add any updates later.

Thanks all X

inatizzy

PS Thanks amn (Ali) X

Last edited:
Hello again :)

I have this morning advised C/service of the FALSE claims made during the presentation of this product and am awaiting a call from the 'appropriate department'

One should not have to 'double-check' online whether or not what the presenter has just said with regard to reviews is correct or in fact a blatant lie.

This is NOT in fact a major crisis in my life,

BUT

To be left feeling 'duped' is unacceptable.

Will add any updates later.

Thanks all X

inatizzy

PS Thanks amn (Ali) X

They'll prob. say that they always tell viewers "don't take our word for it" when mentioning reviews. Is that their way of saying "' 'cos if we get it wrong, well, we did say don't take our word for it." It's bouncing responsibility back to the buyer. They are either offering a service or not. As it stands it is effected very badly.

That is a completely ridiculous thing to say. This is a SHOPPING TELLY FORUM in case you hadn't noticed. The OP is perfectly entitled to have a rant about being mis-sold an item.

yes there are worse crises than this, but as others have said, this is a shopping telly forum, we're not here to put the world's wrongs to rights even if we could...

i think catherine gets carried away quite a bit. i remember in the summer when bose was selling one of their music systems i asked customer services to ask the presenters if there were buttons on the actual machine as well as as the remote.

they went on air and obviously asked her to check which she did. there were no buttons so if you lost the remote you would not be able to use the system properly. not once did the bose presenter or catherine mention this.

but she did say eventually on air that" the machine does not have operating buttons but who needs them anyway" just like that." the machine looks better without them."

considering catherine comes across as quite benine and sweet when it comes to the hard sell she is as hard as steel!:down:

:wait:But not always so on twitter :wink:

At the end of the day they are just sales people - they push stock that is not moving, so probably bend the truth a little (lot)!
I find their reviews misleading as people that leave bad feedback not always get their views accross as QVC censor them.

QVC are also good at censoring 5 star reviews as well!! i no longer leave reviews as i feel its a waste of time and effort. I've have also caught Catherine out in saying that all the reviews on a certain item are 5 star when in actual fact they are not!! naughty naughty.

Latest posts

Back