Cats' Eye Zultanite

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Springflower

Registered Shopper
Please could somebody with a brain explain why Don Kogan is allowing stones (of which there are apparently only 500 in existence, that he has sold to a collector and are so RARE, RARE, RARE that they will never be heard of again) to be auctioned off at less than the collector is paying. He also states that the stones will be removed from their settings before being given to the collector. However, if so many pieces were taken surely there would be no point in the collector donating to museums and laboritories because if the market is flooded with them they are no longer rare. Please excuse the incoherent rambling, but my brain is aching.

You've answered your own question! Why would he be selling these off for very little money if they were (a) rare (b) desired and (c) so high in value!?

This gemstone is still being mined - what happens if tomorrow they suddenly find an enormous pocket or the yield trebles? You only have to look at the hype that surrounded Tanzanite 10 years ago - if we had believed it, there would be none left and all the mines would have been mined out. Last time I looked, Tanzanite One was still going strong and mining continues! Yes, the cat's eye Zultanite represents a small quantity of Zultanite that's mined but that doesn't mean it's desirable or valuable!

You know, I really used to like Don Kogan but this dreadful "rare" "valuable" hype is embarassing. It's also grossly misleading. I have no problem with them wanting to make a profit on their gemstones (at the end of the day they're in business to do so) but NOT by grossly over exaggerating.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, Meeshoo. I think your key word was "embarrassing," I felt embarrassed watching him, especially when he became so wound up that it became clear he had not told the whole truth and had to backtrack and got in a worse muddle. I wonder if he's heard of the expression "When you're in a hole, stop digging?"

That's exactly how I feel too Meesh, I used to love watching Don with Steve, really looked forward to their shows together.
Now, I'm afraid I don't believe a word anyone on the channel spouts and that includes the lovely John. I don't buy or watch anymore, but I used to watch John and think that surely he was above all that, but sadly not it seems.
Only TJC left now and they sell a load of tat a lot of the time. Looking on the bright side though - my monthly CC bills have plummeted!

Latest posts

Back