Certified as what?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Springflower

Registered Shopper
Could somebody with more knowledge than I please explain how a certified stone is being sold as G to H. Why are they not certain how to classify it? Are they playing safe or is it that the difference between the two grades is so indiscernable that it makes no difference to the price? Probably entirely psychological, but I think I would feel happier with a G that might be an F than a G that might be an H!!!
Best wishes from Springflower

You can't have a certified diamond graded as G-H. It's either G or H. Certified means that it comes with a laboratory report.

If you're referring to the Iliana range, they are not certified diamonds. They are graded in-house. So some of the Iliana range will be designated G and some H so they market them all as G-H in colour. Grading for colour is done with the diamonds face down and using a reference set however if it's done in-house there is always the concern that they won't be as strict in grading as a laboratory. Having said that, that's a general comment and NOT aimed at TJC. With the exception of 1 or 2 pieces, all of my Iliana diamonds have been very good indeed and have, in some circumstances, been assessed as higher than G-H and some have been VVS in quality.

In terms of what you see, the difference is minimal unless you are super sensitive to colour. G and H colour diamonds are normally white looking with very little trace of yellow and the price difference is minimal. Price depends on size, clarity, cut and colour so an H may well cost more if it has a better cut (light return) etc. G-H diamonds are generally considered to be more than acceptable.

Last edited:
I watched for a bit this morning and there were a few items EGL certified at G-H colour and I1-I2 clarity - very odd I thought

http://www.thejewellerychannel.tv/popups/viewdetail.aspx?StockCode=800645

http://www.thejewellerychannel.tv/popups/viewdetail.aspx?StockCode=803881

Then the only explanation is that they have more than 1. To my knowledge (and I could be wrong) EGL certify as G or H and I1 or I2, not something in between. Was there more than 1 in the auction?

Just a FYI, EGL are thought of as grading quite softly. So, a G colour certified by EGL may well be certified as 1-2 grades lower by GIA. For diamond grading GIA is seen as the best lab report. Also, I believe, some EGL labs are more highly thought of than others.

Here you can see sample EGL certs and clearly they only grade as G or H http://www.eglinternational.org/serv_certificates.htm

Hope that helps

BTW for coloured gemstones the most respected lab is AGL.

Last edited:
Forgot to add ............... there are I1/I2 diamonds and then there are I1/I2 diamonds. Generally speaking I1/I2 will be heavily included and you'll be able to see flaws with the naked eye. For example, the diamond rings sold by GemsTV are typically I1/I2 and look like junk.

There are some lovely I1/I2 but they have to be picked by an expert and their flaws need to be well hidden so that they don't detract from the beauty of the diamond.

The EGL are not thought of very highly in the Birmingham jewellery quarter, most of the shops sell GIA, IGI and HRD.
One shop told me if you send a diamond to the EGL to be graded you may as well just put a £20 note in the parcel and tell them what colour and clarity you want it to be lol

Forgot to add ............... there are I1/I2 diamonds and then there are I1/I2 diamonds. Generally speaking I1/I2 will be heavily included and you'll be able to see flaws with the naked eye. For example, the diamond rings sold by GemsTV are typically I1/I2 and look like junk.

There are some lovely I1/I2 but they have to be picked by an expert and their flaws need to be well hidden so that they don't detract from the beauty of the diamond.

All the Gems TV diamonds I have seen lately look like G in colour. G standing for GREY that is! :mysmilie_17:

Then the only explanation is that they have more than 1. To my knowledge (and I could be wrong) EGL certify as G or H and I1 or I2, not something in between. Was there more than 1 in the auction?

Yes, it was double figures in both auctions. Would that mean there was a selection of G and H and your certificate would state the exact colour and clarity? Didn't buy but the stones didn't look too bad

Yes, it was double figures in both auctions. Would that mean there was a selection of G and H and your certificate would state the exact colour and clarity? Didn't buy but the stones didn't look too bad

Yes. That's why they are being labelled as such.

The fact that TJC thought to send these stones to be certified suggests they are at the good end of the I1/I2 range. As I said, they'll be a world away from the ones that GemsTV regularly have!

can i just say - thank you all for taking the time with these explanations.......its useful and interesting to read them...... I love my gems and stones and sparkly things but struggle to keep up with what I am being told by these tv sales people.....its fantastic to be able to read here some help from people who arent trying to flog me something - and of course it makes me chuckle sometimes too!!!!!!!

No - there'll be so little difference I expect. You could get an H and I1 and a G that's an I2 - so which is better? Neither!

Unless you study diamonds every day you're unlikely to notice any difference.

Here's an example:

One photo is of an I colour diamond and SI2 clarity. The other is an E colour diamond and SI1 clarity. Both are GIA certified. Which is which? (Central stones)

May I just add a HUGE thankyou from me, too and echo everything Loobi has said.
Best wishes from Springflower.

No i saw the auction and Chloe showed the EGL certificate it said actually on the certificate I1-12 G-H it also said the carat weight was estimate by gauge.
It was a small credit card cert not a full certificate.

Dearie me - another reason why not to trust EGL. That's awful.

The only thing I am wondering is whether TJC sent the actual rings to EGL rather than the unmounted stone. It's strange but that may be the explanation because it's almost impossible to accurately grade once a diamond is set. That gives some wiggle room to the grading.

Dearie me - another reason why not to trust EGL. That's awful.

The only thing I am wondering is whether TJC sent the actual rings to EGL rather than the unmounted stone. It's strange but that may be the explanation because it's almost impossible to accurately grade once a diamond is set. That gives some wiggle room to the grading.

Sorry i didn't say that was for the studs i didn't see the ring auction.
There was 45-50 that sold sounds like tjc have sent 50 pairs of mounted studs or 100 loose diamonds to the EGL and the average grade was G-H I1-I2?
Sounds like a worthless cert which ever way you look at it.

No - there'll be so little difference I expect. You could get an H and I1 and a G that's an I2 - so which is better? Neither!

Here's an example:

One photo is of an I colour diamond and SI2 clarity. The other is an E colour diamond and SI1 clarity. Both are GIA certified. Which is which? (Central stones)

Useful info everyone, thanks

It's difficult to tell from the photo's but I'll stick my neck out and say the pear is I colour?

Here's an example:

Gosh, I wouldn't like to hazard a guess but, you know me, I'll happily polish out any little imperfections myself if they're not too bad. Pop 'em in the post and I'll soon have 'em both looking the same, and able to compete with anything in my own collection :mysmilie_17: xxxxxxxxxx

Good guesses!

You're right that the pear is an I colour and SI2 in clarity. HOWEVER, what makes it look so white is the fact that it has strong blue fluoresence (something I personally love in diamonds). So the blue cancels out any yellow you see and the diamond looks much whiter than other I colour diamonds. This gem looks very white nearly all the time. The only time I see any bit of yellow is in incandescent lighting and if I look at it from the side and even then, it's not that apparent.

The other ring is an E, SI1. I honestly don't see much difference but then this one doesn't has fluoresence.

If you live near a jewellery quarter it's worth checking out some loose diamonds to see what your tolerance is for colour. Also, be sure to take a UV pen to test for fluor. It doesn't harm diamonds and most jewellers won't mind you whipping out your equipment (ooo er Mrs) to check. In fact, they'll probably think you know tons about diamonds and then won't try to blag you!

If the stone "glows" then it has fluor. You can't mistake it. Let me know if you want to see pics and I'll post up some.

Latest posts

Back