Chloe Everton

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

And still she's got her tonsils showing !

I know we live in a progressive world, and I'm far from being homophobic, but as long as I live I don't think I'll ever get used to couples of the same sex referring to each other as 'wifey' or 'husband'.
As a gay man I should absolutely 100% disagree with you, but I really, really don't.
What's wrong with just saying partner for crying out loud?

I can't ever remember my late husband refer to me as 'wife' - I'd be introduced as "my other 'arf" - nice, followed by a sharp kick in his ankles.

Do you remember years ago when a man would come to the door and ask “is the man of the house about”. A very swift door close!

I would hate being described as THE wife - Mr L knows better !

Years ago when people mentioned partner it was automatically assumed they were in business together but now it’s the opposite and if you are in business you have to make it clear that he is not your same sex partner!

Not sure what SS couples should call each other nothing really runs off the tongus but that will change over time and I don’t have a clue about all the other orientations making sure no one is offended.

I'm so conscious now about offending "minority"* groups that I skirt round referring to them. No sooner has one term been approved than it's found to upset someone, somewhere, and gets changed to something else. I don't know what to say that doesn't cause offence when none is intended.

*I've put that word in inverted commas in case it's also now offensive.

I don't know if anyone agrees but when I was growing up, the biggest changes I saw were in technology and invention. Nowadays climate change is the new religion and whilst technology still continues to grow, the biggest changes are to do with human rights and the way we treat other people. I've got to admit I still find it odd when a woman refers to her wife, or a man, his husband, it's new and as a person who's lived through the years when a marriage was between a man and a woman, gay people at best were "whispered about" with a bit of a giggle and a hand flapping gesture , casual racism and stereotyping was widespread - The tide is turning, and about time too, but for some of us it will take us a while to get used to hearing this sort of thing, and also to watch what we say. Not long ago I left a young colleague with his mouth open when I referred to the guy sleeping in the shop doorway as a tramp...He laughed and said...You can't call him that!!!! I have to say that I was knocked back a bit myself when a colleague said "That's a bit Irish that is" when referring to a stupid new rule put into place at work - I didn't call her out on it, but I'm sure one of the youngsters would've done....I knew she meant no harm, but old habits die hard as they say!

I don't know if anyone agrees but when I was growing up, the biggest changes I saw were in technology and invention. Nowadays climate change is the new religion and whilst technology still continues to grow, the biggest changes are to do with human rights and the way we treat other people. I've got to admit I still find it odd when a woman refers to her wife, or a man, his husband, it's new and as a person who's lived through the years when a marriage was between a man and a woman, gay people at best were "whispered about" with a bit of a giggle and a hand flapping gesture , casual racism and stereotyping was widespread - The tide is turning, and about time too, but for some of us it will take us a while to get used to hearing this sort of thing, and also to watch what we say. Not long ago I left a young colleague with his mouth open when I referred to the guy sleeping in the shop doorway as a tramp...He laughed and said...You can't call him that!!!! I have to say that I was knocked back a bit myself when a colleague said "That's a bit Irish that is" when referring to a stupid new rule put into place at work - I didn't call her out on it, but I'm sure one of the youngsters would've done....I knew she meant no harm, but old habits die hard as they say!
Very recognisable observations. Growing up watching programmes on tv that would never make it in the building , never mind a cross the desk of a commissioning 'bod'.

In my late 60's when all this nonsense started to take hold I decided I wasn't going to give a monkeys. If some one was offended by what I said then tough titties. I was brought up to have manners and be polite to all and sundry - unlike some of the sh....s we see and hear today who have no respect for people or property, but generations since have made me think I am not going to pander anymore. I am now 72 and I shall say it how I see it. What are they going to do ? throw me in prison ? good - I'll have free food, electricity and tele.

Its like that chap who stood on his soapbox preaching Christianity and the Bible - ok some wont agree with his opinions and views, but hell fire he should be allowed to say what he thinks without fear of being arrested !! What is it ? a public offence law ? Jesus Christ how have we got to this state of affairs.

In my late 60's when all this nonsense started to take hold I decided I wasn't going to give a monkeys. If some one was offended by what I said then tough titties. I was brought up to have manners and be polite to all and sundry - unlike some of the sh....s we see and hear today who have no respect for people or property, but generations since have made me think I am not going to pander anymore. I am now 72 and I shall say it how I see it. What are they going to do ? throw me in prison ? good - I'll have free food, electricity and tele.

Its like that chap who stood on his soapbox preaching Christianity and the Bible - ok some wont agree with his opinions and views, but hell fire he should be allowed to say what he thinks without fear of being arrested !! What is it ? a public offence law ? Jesus Christ how have we got to this state of affairs.
I totally agree with you on this subject. I am 79 years old and I will continue to say it how I see it not how I am told to say it. Fgs the ****** world has gone mad.

Good for you ! I would also say "why not ? " These idiot kids at university who are 'cancelling' speakers because they don't agree with their opinion on certain issues, don't realise how free they are in a society that enables them to be part of a 'cancel culture'. They would think differently if they lived in a culture that wouldn't even allow them to do that ! and if they continue down this path then in 50 years time their own children could be living under a dystopian regime that they have created by their actions now.

Latest posts

Back