Christma Grot(to)

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

If money were no object I`d dress a tree in Waterford crystal decorations, Braybrook and Britten sterling silver decorations and some swarovski tree decorations chucked in for good measure. Mind you each decoration would cost £100 plus and even in their half price post Christmas sales, you`d still be talking a lot of money.
There`s no point in even buying once at once in the sales because I`d be long dead before I`d have enough to half fill a tree. I guess I`ll have to rely on winning the lottery but even that`s a dream because I don`t do the lottery. Maybe I should start !
It would stunning, my only concern would be someone tripping near it, hearing the tinkling of crystal as it hit the floor & a lot of time spent & tears shed as I had to sweep up the shards. The branches on our tree (artificial) start a metre up from the base, it has white lights & the decorations are all clear glass - not to everyone's taste but I think it's a thing of great beauty. Last year was the first Christmas that little granddaughter was aware of what was happening & she found holding the trunk & rocking this tree & seeing everything swinging very amusing. I didn't.

I've kept a few special hanging tree decs that I bought years ago, which would cost an absolute fortune now, if the prices of recent years are anything to go by. The simplest bauble in most garden centres are over a fiver each ! No wonder the likes of The Range and supermarkets do so well.
I have had some beautiful tree decorations from The Range over the years. Didn't get any last year as we weren't going into shops. Probably won't get any this year as we are still not going into shops the way rates are rising again.

It would stunning, my only concern would be someone tripping near it, hearing the tinkling of crystal as it hit the floor & a lot of time spent & tears shed as I had to sweep up the shards. The branches on our tree (artificial) start a metre up from the base, it has white lights & the decorations are all clear glass - not to everyone's taste but I think it's a thing of great beauty. Last year was the first Christmas that little granddaughter was aware of what was happening & she found holding the trunk & rocking this tree & seeing everything swinging very amusing. I didn't.
We have a 7 month old labrador pup who`se tail is a lethal weapon. She wags it constantly and cups of tea, phones, remote controls, ornaments and other items have been knocked flying. She`d be everybody`s worse nightmare near a Christmas tree especially as she is always so delighted with everything in life and wags her whole body not just her tail.

LikeT my decs are all clear glass, with various textures (lovely glass heart ones wrapped in glass strands) on a white twig tree.

I don’t like Christmas as an event but do like decorations and go the whole Hogg in several rooms but last year nothing went up as Mr L had just had his back op. He doesn’t feel able to crawl around in a low loft this year either so I’ll either not bother or buy something very small that can be stored downstairs. However I’m a bit all or nothing type so whether I could look at one measly tree I’m not sure.

Like others on here I live alone, with only a visit for an hour from my brother at Christmas. For decades I too went the whole hog, with decs, lots of family descending, tables heaving with food, and now at 73 its me, the dog and a ready meal from M & S !!! its fine, as I'm finding I haven't the energy to really bother anymore, and as for cooking a meal for even 4 people fills me with dread now.

This Christmas may be a very quiet one for us. I`m waiting for surgery and have been told it will be a 6 to 8 week recovery afterwards. When I saw the consultant last month she said it would be at least 3 months before my operation as they were trying to catch up from non emergency shut down during the height of covid. That would take me to November at the earliest for surgery and then to January following the recovery period if all goes well.
Mr V cannot cook for toffee and by his own admittance he is a terrible chef so we may very well end up with ping meals or beans on toast for our Christmas dinner.

Sometimes when due to circumstances you get away from the hype you sort of realise that that’s exactly what it is, hype.

Of course if you are a really Christmas person it isn’t hype to you and it’s great you can enjoy it all.

A bit like holidays, when the hassle of the travel bit tips the balance against the actual holiday it no longer becomes a pleasure.

My 18 month old granddaughter could paint it with more precision. Awful. Reminds me of the 1960's market stall tat.
I have a Russian doll type thing made of different sizes of Father Christmas. The paint on the faces had come off so our then 2 year old grandson drew new ones with a felt pen 🙄 I still get them out and he will be 12 in January!

Like others on here I live alone, with only a visit for an hour from my brother at Christmas. For decades I too went the whole hog, with decs, lots of family descending, tables heaving with food, and now at 73 its me, the dog and a ready meal from M & S !!! its fine, as I'm finding I haven't the energy to really bother anymore, and as for cooking a meal for even 4 people fills me with dread now.
I like the thought of Christmas and all the merry making decorations and pending good food. But the workload is a nightmare. And don't get me on the huge cost

Sometimes when due to circumstances you get away from the hype you sort of realise that that’s exactly what it is, hype.

Of course if you are a really Christmas person it isn’t hype to you and it’s great you can enjoy it all.

A bit like holidays, when the hassle of the travel bit tips the balance against the actual holiday it no longer becomes a pleasure.
You've summed up Christmas & so much more LATI. I've written before about how different last Christmas was, not just because of the obvious, but for us personally & it turned out to be the most relaxed one we've known. I love my decorations, the tree is in its box under the spare room bed with the rest in boxes on the top shelves of the pantry & to make life easier they're in room order & there are contents lists at the front of every one. I also decorate for Easter & the autumn so not doing it for Christmas would be odd. I ignore hype generally so all the It's your best Christmas Ever passes over me.

If money were no object I`d dress a tree in Waterford crystal decorations, Braybrook and Britten sterling silver decorations and some swarovski tree decorations chucked in for good measure. Mind you each decoration would cost £100 plus and even in their half price post Christmas sales, you`d still be talking a lot of money.
There`s no point in even buying once at once in the sales because I`d be long dead before I`d have enough to half fill a tree. I guess I`ll have to rely on winning the lottery but even that`s a dream because I don`t do the lottery. Maybe I should start !
Waterford crystal tree decoration would be out of this world beautiful. Swarovski as well. I'd go for those along with the lights if the lights were colourless.

I've never been to the Range and yet the UK HQ and flagship store is only about 2 miles from me.

It had not long opened when Covid started, and there are no direct buses to it from me, but one of these days I will get my electric bike out again after 2 years of not using it.

The multi-millionaire owner also lives in Plymouth, he used to be a market stall trader.

I like the thought of Christmas and I have nearly 5 grandchildren that I adore. The have re energised my christmases. I will start decorating the house in November and go the whole hog because atm I can. But there will come a time when I won't be be able to.

Latest posts

Back