Christmas, already...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Craftalot

Indigenouscommunities
Yes, it's Christmas launch day tomorrow at QVC Towers. No point boring on about why they've decided that the end of September is the right time to do this, but what would people like to see them do this Christmas, and what would they NOT like to see? I'd like to see them sell some small, sensibly-priced gifts for those people you need to buy a little something for, but don't want to spend a fortune on. I do NOT want to see Gill Gauntlet every day with increasingly garish and tasteless tat lit up with LED lights.

I always start buying early for Christmas. It's the only way to make sure the gifts are well-thought-out rather than panic buying the week before Christmas in over crowded shopping malls. My idea of shopping-hell! So far I have L'Occitane bits for sister in law #1 and best friend. Yankee Candle for their December birthdays. Also a Yankee Candle for Sister in law #2.

Last year Q came up trumps for some of the children's gifts. Frozen musical box with necklace comes to mind. DD loves it and wears it to death. Sadly the battery still going strong in the music box. That was worth every penny. Got her the musical snow globe this year, as she is still totally obsessed with "let it go".

People shop all through the year from January to December for Christmas, it's just QVCs way of frightening people into submission and buying things in early in case you forget. What gets me though, is why do people want to shop with the dearest retailer? it's like me walking into Harrods when there's an Asda right next door.

I agree with being prepared but do we need Christmas themed days to do it .I am quite capable of buying presents as I see them without the blatant Christmas nagging .This goes for all shops too.By the time Christmas Day arrives I am sick of it.

I agree Turandot but QVC are just doing what they do best, scaremongering. I haven't shopped with them for a couple of years now, too expensive, patronising, hard sell and most of all snobby for my liking.

I'm fizzing with sheer excitement at the anticipation of all the usual Christmas goodies. In fact I can hardly wait for those offerings that make life just that little more...special...like a Thomas Pacconi nativity scene with the beads of glue and cheap Chinese woodwork resplendent for all to see, then there's the flameless candles. Why get them for 99p on the dreaded "High Street" when you can pay 20 quid plus P&P? Then there's the Christmas song compilation CD with Tony Blackburn on as a guest presenter. Oooh then there's the overpriced "premium" meat - namely a few Fray Bentos pies and mediocre sausages blast chilled and delivered to your doorstep in horrid polystyrene for just £99.89. Maybe if we're lucky we'll get Richard Jackson dressed up like one of Santa's little gnomes, I mean elves, sounding like he's swallowed a pocketful of emery boards as he tries to flog us an overpriced amaryllis / poinsettia. Flippin' terrific.

Can't think about Christmas in September, still have Birthdays to get for.

I think about Christmas all year - I like to buy for everyone but my immediate family throughout the year and then sort my family out in Oct/Nov.

I do still have plenty of birthday though too - my Dad & a close friend still this month, then my mother in law, sister in law (x2), father in law, OH, another close friend, my best friend and one of our godchildren in October & November.

I most certainly don't shop for Christmas all year round I don't buy anything till December. I have eight close family Birthdays before Christmas including five of my Grandchildren and two of my Daughters so Christmas is still on the back burner for me. I never buy from Q for gifts as they have nothing I would want to give to anyone at least not in my price range. It's the good old High Street for me.

I'm fizzing with sheer excitement at the anticipation of all the usual Christmas goodies. In fact I can hardly wait for those offerings that make life just that little more...special...like a Thomas Pacconi nativity scene with the beads of glue and cheap Chinese woodwork resplendent for all to see, then there's the flameless candles. Why get them for 99p on the dreaded "High Street" when you can pay 20 quid plus P&P? Then there's the Christmas song compilation CD with Tony Blackburn on as a guest presenter. Oooh then there's the overpriced "premium" meat - namely a few Fray Bentos pies and mediocre sausages blast chilled and delivered to your doorstep in horrid polystyrene for just £99.89. Maybe if we're lucky we'll get Richard Jackson dressed up like one of Santa's little gnomes, I mean elves, sounding like he's swallowed a pocketful of emery boards as he tries to flog us an overpriced amaryllis / poinsettia. Flippin' terrific.

Baaa humbug Julius!

Don't forget the Christmas miracle............the one were what Christmas stuff is left over from the January sales goes to "clearance" price until the 25th of July, then miraculously it all comes back at full price for "Christmas in July"

Well, you know, years ago I used to like the early Christmas shows because they actually had nice things. I used to buy one or two little pressies and get my gift bags and the like and feel like I had "got started" as it were. Now it's all gone a bit carp because they don't have the people on that they used to. Dexter with all his Christmas things, Terry from Mr Christmas with his old fashioned musical boxes (I like a bit of memory lane at Christmas), a few decently priced gems etc etc. Now we get Gill Gauntlett with that projector that fires out those green lights everywhere - what's the point of that? Really expensive little cars and helicopters which you can buy on the market for half the price if not less - and lets face it, they're all broken by 10 January no matter how much they cost. I said I wasn't buying the meat parcel this year but I'll wait and see. Have bought it in the past and chopped it up and because there's only 2 of us we have food in the freezer way after Christmas - when we have no money! I'll have a nosey but I'll do that while sitting on my hands with my credit cards buried in the back garden.

CC

I can just see it Gill Gauntlet selling chinese tat either candles or lights RJ trying to tell us to buy his products for presents nothing like slug pellets and weedkiller in your xmas stocking, all of the presenters in their xmas jumpers etc DF wearing an elf hat and telling us to buy two or more of everything enough to put you of christmas for life.:mysmilie_1:

I wasn't really paying attention properly but Debbie did allude to the fact that from the kick-off of Christmas in July every month they have a Christmas day on the 24th or 25th of the month until they go into full Christmas mode... I can't remember if she said it was full-on Christmas from October or November (probably October, but hopefully only from 25th October...).

It represents a sizeable chunk of their total annual sales and revenue, so they will push it the max.

Our job here is to stick to our own budgets and priorities and not let QVC try to panic us in to "tapping that app" or "jumping to the phones".

For me nothing and I mean absolutely nothing they show on air this year, can be as bad or annoying as last years Christmas promotional video's creepy music.
Here's hoping I wont need to hit the mute button this year apart from when Sara Griffiths, Chloe Everton or Maaarverine Cole are on!

Latest posts

Back