Christmas Gift Ideas TSV 17/08/20

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I know it's not a Christmas gift but I ordered a Bell & Howell usb fan a few days ago..in typical fashion it turned up just when the heatwave broke...but it's as amazing as I hoped it would be it folds up small and has a telescopic stem meaning you can use it as a desk or floor fan. A full charge gives up to 10 hours on low setting and it will work whilst being charged. Even on top whack it's quiet and can be taken anywhere..totally impressed for once.

I bought that fan as well and agree with everything you said. I have a really good fan in the bedroom which has meant that sleeping during the recent humid nights hasn’t been a problem, but I bought the Bell & Howell one for use downstairs. I actually already have a tower fan and three desk top fans (can you guess that I don’t “do” heat 😉) but I prefer the B&H one because it’s less obvious when not in use. And as merryone said, it’s really portable and effective.

I must be old-fashioned because I use a diary, use paper for my shopping lists, never send e-cards as I prefer proper cards and I occasionally write letters, BUT I don’t need a pen with a light and magnifying glass to do those things. What an odd TSV. 😳
Me too!
Both Mr L and I used really good pens at work, you don’t leave them behind on someones desk and everyone knows it’s your “good” pen so they don’t pocket them as everyone would recognise it, you are far more aware of it rather than a cheapie one you just throw at your backside,

Mr L always used a proper fountain pen and when he retired someone he had helped in the past gave him a Mont Blanc pen - unfortunately having left work he hasn’t really used it.

Bell & Howell Set of 4 Magnifying Ballpoint Pens with Light
Item Number: 713248
QVC Price £22.00
Todays Special Value Price £15.98
P&P £2.95

A set of four ballpoint pens from Bell & Howell, each with a built-in three times magnifying glass, a 1.2mm precision ballpoint, a super bright LED light and a handy storage pouch. Great for making the words clearer whether you are reading, writing or doing the crossword, these pens are perfect for everyday use, so keep one in your pocket or handbag for on the go reading, writing and lighting.

Sign off your gift list - each of these stylish ballpoint pens comes with an individual soft protective pouch and a printed gift box, meaning that they can be separated and given as lovely presents to your friends and loved ones.

Twist and view - the built-in magnifying glass is hidden in the body of the pen, simply twist the top and the three times magnification window is revealed. The LED sits next to the magnifying glass, making reading small print even easier and can be turned on and off at the touch of a button.

What's on the menu? Keeping one of these great light-up magnifying pens in your pocket or handbag makes them the ideal solution for when you're dining out in a restaurant with low lighting. It means you don’t have to reach for the torch on your phone and light up the whole room or worse, ask someone else to read the menu out to you!

• Pocket clip
  • Comfortable soft contoured rubber grip
  • Ink colour: black

Contains:

• 4 x magnifying ball point pens with LED lights
  • 4 x protective pouches
  • 4 x printed boxes
  • 4 x 3LR41 button cell batteries (included)

Colour options:

• Classic - purple, blue, black and grey
  • Pattern - a mix of nature-inspired prints including leopard, sunflowers, peacock and zebra

No, don’t get it, £19 for four pens 😜 seen similar for £1.50 in B&M. That’s unless it’s a magic pen that is, were the ink never runs out, when it does what are you going to do with them, buy a little torch if you want a torch and a little magnifying glass if you want a magnifying glass, honestly the items QVC sell now are beyond the usual two words.

Just noticed it says you don’t have to reach for the torch on your phone to see the menu if eating out, but wouldn’t you just be doing the same reaching for the torch on your £5 pen? Honestly.........🤔

Last edited:
I stupidly nearly bought them and then thought to myself get a grip - it’s four plastic ballpoint pens...I’ve got millions. I rarely use a torch, the magnifier looks a bit awkward to use..imagine trying to read packaging in a store and faffing around with a pen . Think I’d probably pop my reading glasses on! The us demo in this thread had stylus tips and refills included- not these. Anyway wouldn’t mind that giant box of gingerbread.. but not about to spend over £20 on a box of biccies!! And you have to wait till November to receive them..I want them now!!

4 grandchildren maybe but would you pay that for a pen they will break in 30 secs?

Another case of the buyers living in cloud cuckoo land. I’ll bet they never use a pen so think of it as a “vintage” novelty.

I was tempted because (as you know) I am a gadget freak!

But then I realised that the refills would be very short, and would last a fraction of the time of a normal refill, especially as they write very thick (about twice that of a normal ballpoint).

I did a google search to see if they were available, but couldn't find anything.

I've submitted a question about this on their website, which will probably appear in a few days time when the TSV is finished (as always happens) and QVC will probably not answer it anyway (they rarely do).

What a shambles!

'Just noticed it says you don’t have to reach for the torch on your phone to see the menu if eating out, but wouldn’t you just be doing the same reaching for the torch on your £5 pen? Honestly.........🤔'
I've heard of 'dark dining' but using a torch in one of those restaurants wouldn't be allowed. Every place I've been to has enough light to see the menu so what are they talking about?

'Just noticed it says you don’t have to reach for the torch on your phone to see the menu if eating out, but wouldn’t you just be doing the same reaching for the torch on your £5 pen? Honestly.........🤔'
I've heard of 'dark dining' but using a torch in one of those restaurants wouldn't be allowed. Every place I've been to has enough light to see the menu so what are they talking about?

Me too - I think diners would soon start complaining if the place was so dark you couldn't even read the menu. I guess if they've gotta stand there for the best part of an hour talking about something so mundane as a ballpoint pen, they'll end up clutching at straws sooner or later..Many were clutched last night - It writes well, it fits through a letterbox, they're all different colours so you know who's is who's...I mean you don't wanna go sharing a pen not even with your family - Though to be fair with the amount of ink you get in each one you'll be wanting to conserve it, especially when you don't have any refills! The funniest though was you'll be giving the "gift of writing" er no you won't - Trying giving a smart/monogrammed Cross or Parker pen and some fancy stationary instead and perhaps you'd be hitting the brief. You'll be giving a gift to the bin when the ink runs out after a week!

Last edited:
It’s like being transported back to a 1980 Christmas catalogue, and not in a good way.

How can they crow about themselves when one minute they are selling body products costing some people’s weekly shop and then come up with this crap. Either you market yourself as luxury or market stall but you shouldn’t do both.

Obviously this virtual mega department store has a bargain basement and today is the day the lift stops there.

Me too - I think diners would soon start complaining if the place was so dark you couldn't even read the menu. I guess if they've gotta stand there for the best part of an hour talking about something so mundane as a ballpoint pen, they'll end up clutching at straws sooner or later..Many were clutched last night - It writes well, it fits through a letterbox, they're all different colours so you know who's is who's...I mean you don't wanna go sharing a pen not even with your family - Though to be fair with the amount of ink you get in each one you'll be wanting to conserve it, especially when you don't have any refills! The funniest though was you'll be giving the "gift of writing" er no you won't - Trying giving a smart/monogrammed Cross or Parker pen and some fancy stationary instead and perhaps you'd be hitting the brief. You'll be giving a gift to the bin when the ink runs out after a week!

It writes nice - - - how to REALLY sell a pen on shopping telly - - - - >

THIS DIDN'T START AT THE BEGINNING WHEN I CLICKED IT, SO YOU MAY HAVE TO WIND BACK TO THE BEGINNING.

Due to the size and shape of the store I work in we have to limit the amount of customers to a maximum of eight adults plus any offspring they have with them.
When we try to enforce this we are often subject to abuse, the other day a 'gentleman' wanted to come in, I explained that we were at maximum capacity and would he please wait for a few moments he told me 'I'll take my money elsewhere you fat slag'
I am 63, I would have put his age at 55.
Sadly the kindness we hoped for didn't happen, it seems that the general public now find it perfectly acceptable to take their frustrations out on shop staff, I have worked in retailing since my first Saturday job fifty years ago and I have had my share of rude customers but since we reopened after furlough it is the worse it has ever been.

I've just seen this!!!! I'm so shocked (or not) it's almost laughable, (but not for you, obvs)

Whereabouts is this shop in the country?
Mr B was received a text calling him an 'arsehole weirdo' but with incorrect spelling. Because he didn't buy their dodgy car, long story. Anyway, we found this hilarious, don't know why.

We have only just brought in masks for shops (****** disgrace and now our R has rocketed) but it isn’t being enforced in any way (possibly on public transport) .

Mr L was in local garage getting petrol and had to queue to pay. The shop assistants wore masks but most customers didn’t with the exception of 2 police persons who were but who totally ignored all the other people.

In Lidl everyone was wearing one with the exception of a very well dressed woman, early 40’s, with a trolly sky high, so not just popped in, I saw a lady who appeared to be in a uniform and stacking shelves beside her so said in a very loud voice “can you please explain the stores policy on masks” only to be told she didn’t work there and was only shopping herself! God I wanted the floor to open ! Of course madam just ignored us all and continued.

In Marks there is no longer any restrictions on numbers but I think I only saw one or two without masks on.

Latest posts

Back