Christmas in July!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Christmas in July is purely a money driven thing and I would find offensive if I was religious.

Is it a coincidence that Ideal World have a toy show on at the same time 8-9pm Friday? And the helicopters are now drones....

I don't care if they were 1p with 1p [P&P] I wouldn't buy anything labelled as Christmas in July.

I think Christmas stuff being promoted in November is too early. Everyone is always in such a rush to get to the next thing. No sooner have we finished Christmas dinner than we're watching the adverts for summer holidays, and the sales. Summer ends up being blighted with back to school advertising.

Indeed, they are trying to make us hoarders if we are not already and the phrase "Christmas in July " makes me nauseous, this is so wrong, what they are really saying "part part part with your money today, tomorrow, the day after, every day"

I have not watched any Q today as I think this Christmas in July is ridiculous. It's probably the same old rubbish they churn out every year.

I may be mistaken but I think Christmas in July is a pretty established US thing. I say that cos when I mentioned it years ago to a friend who does not watch Q but does know the U.S. well, she had heard of it.

They're going to keep doing it, regardless. Christmas promotions make or break a vast number of retailers. It's no accident that most news stories of stores going bust happen around Christmas time. It's the biggest deal of the year, and the riskiest in most sectors.

So we won't stop a single retailer out there from bringing out the tinsel etc as early as possible. All that happens if we sit on our hands and wallets is that they get more and more strident, and earlier with their promotions.

Christmas in July is a load of bollocks! Who in their right mind is going to want some crap old Thomas Pacconi nativity scene that looks like a collection of items cobbled together from the Pound Shop? I'm not a fan of Christmas anyway. I hate the baubles, the tinsel, and most of all I hate the awful songs on the radio. I absolutely f****** DESPISE THEM!!! Slade,,,,,eugh!!Roy Wood and Wizzard....I particularly dislike the bit where the kids start singing... Jona Lewie...dobba dobba dom...yuck....It's hard to think of any decent Christmas song

I turn over straight away if its Christmas in June, July, January or whatever. Can't stand it, and I don't know anyone who says they actually like it. Not only QVC - as Gems TV were at it today - for the 1st time I can ever recall them doing it. Is this a sign that things are very tight out there, and they are desperately trying all means to get the buyers in? If so, for me it 'ain't working.

No, I am not watching either - I hate Christmas in July - find it very depressing.

Julius, what you say about the old tat is exactly it....to me, most of it looks like stuff either left over from last Christmas, or Pound Shop stuff. Dreadful. I'm sure they just keep churning out the same cr&& that hasn't sold year after year.

Christmas in July is a load of bollocks! Who in their right mind is going to want some crap old Thomas Pacconi nativity scene that looks like a collection of items cobbled together from the Pound Shop? I'm not a fan of Christmas anyway. I hate the baubles, the tinsel, and most of all I hate the awful songs on the radio. I absolutely f****** DESPISE THEM!!! Slade,,,,,eugh!!Roy Wood and Wizzard....I particularly dislike the bit where the kids start singing... Jona Lewie...dobba dobba dom...yuck....It's hard to think of any decent Christmas song

Wasn't aware that Christmas in July was "a thing" until this year! I saw a bit of the tsv launch last year and if was pretty unbearable! But anyone know why it's on 24th July?! Surely that's more Christmas Eve in July?!

I've no objection to seeing (but not buying) the old tat in December (November at a pinch). I do like a bit of Christmas music - again - I don't really want it venturing outside of December.

I really pity the poor souls in retail outlets who have to endure week upon week of the christmas cheer on a continuous loop... getting forced to dress up with tinsel or bauble accessories to be in the festive spirit. If they can still summon an ounce of festive cheer when they finally get some family time on Christmas day, I salute them!

Any retailer is going to pile in on Christmas...
- there is a very striking graph showing the spike in the last quarter of the year. Many retails owe their survival or demise on how they perform in the last quarter. If there was no Christmas, retailers would be looking for another big event to act as a vehicle for driving sales.

I must be the only one who stocks up mid-year and in the sales for Christmas. The weeks leading up to Christmas are a very busy and exhausting time for me at work. Then we have school holidays for 2 children 5 &nearly 4. Sorry but shopping in Novemver/December is a living hell for me. I loathe shopping in crowded Malls and shops. I love Amazon for pre Christmas lightning deals. I have been buying as I go for months now. So far since January my daughter has 1. Snow Glow Elsa. 2. Lego Frozen Ice Palace with characters. This will be sold out at Christmas and I got it for £5 less on Amazon with free delivery. 3. From QVC today I got the musical snow globe from frozen because she has asked for a snow globe and as she loves Frozen this will make her happy. For my son I got that annoying Chase me game as I know he will enjoy that. Earlier this year I got a lightning deal dinosaur transformer thingy at 70%off. I have checked and it is a lot more expensive now. Got the Mardles stickers too one of each kind. My family all have their gifts already (bought in the sales and put together from stuff I had already). I have a stash of L'Occitane gift boxes and bags so they look lovely.

This is the only way I can do Christmas by doing it in advance. I work full time and never shop at weekend's so I rely on the likes of Amazon and Q to get it all sorted.

i logged on specifically to see if there was a topic on this and if there hadn't been i was going to start one!

i'm not an avid shopping telly viewer any more as my count on here will testify, but Christmas in JULY?!?

even though i'm only in my 40's even i can recall the 'good old days' when we got breathing space in-between festivals. okay you don't have to watch etc etc, my point is a show called as above shouldn't even be on. i fully understand some people have to budget and buy for Christmas over a few months or even the entire year, however we don't need Christmas branded shows/events to make those purchases. i genuinely believe Christmas would be enjoyed more if people geared up for it MUCH closer to the actual day. no wonder it ends up a kind of anti-climax for so many ... we start talking about it and planning for it sooooo far in advance.

shame on you qvc, shame on you. Christmas in July??? disgusting.

I must be the only one who stocks up mid-year and in the sales for Christmas. The weeks leading up to Christmas are a very busy and exhausting time for me at work. Then we have school holidays for 2 children 5 &nearly 4. Sorry but shopping in Novemver/December is a living hell for me. I loathe shopping in crowded Malls and shops. I love Amazon for pre Christmas lightning deals. I have been buying as I go for months now. So far since January my daughter has 1. Snow Glow Elsa. 2. Lego Frozen Ice Palace with characters. This will be sold out at Christmas and I got it for £5 less on Amazon with free delivery. 3. From QVC today I got the musical snow globe from frozen because she has asked for a snow globe and as she loves Frozen this will make her happy. For my son I got that annoying Chase me game as I know he will enjoy that. Earlier this year I got a lightning deal dinosaur transformer thingy at 70%off. I have checked and it is a lot more expensive now. Got the Mardles stickers too one of each kind. My family all have their gifts already (bought in the sales and put together from stuff I had already). I have a stash of L'Occitane gift boxes and bags so they look lovely.

This is the only way I can do Christmas by doing it in advance. I work full time and never shop at weekend's so I rely on the likes of Amazon and Q to get it all sorted.

No - you're not the only one. I do my Christmas shopping when I decide - and definitely not when retailers start pushing it at me!

Generally I am only shopping for food in the run-up to Christmas, and the presents are pretty much done and dusted.

Anything I want online that I haven't bought by October doesn't get bought, as after October I've been caught out by delivery times becoming less reliable. Last year when I was short of a present or two, I went to TK Maxx and bought some beautiful quality gifts at bargain prices. Most presents are put together from my infamous stash! I've got nice stuff from L'Occitane, and because I buy from them during the year and ask for the gift wrapping to be sent with what I buy (rather than them doing the wrapping) I have a variety of different sized L'Occitane gift bags.

I must admit I saw some gorgeous sterling silver earrings in Debenhams reduced from £25 to £10 in their sale so I came home and ordered 3 pairs online as Christmas gifts. They were too nice to miss at that price.
I also bought some half price gift sets from Heathcote and Ivory online sale. Cath Kidson shower gels, body lotions, sets of bath bombs too. We have 7 grandchildren between us, 6 girls and 1 boy and 3 of the girls are young teenagers so they love sets of anything bubbly or smelly. I don`t actively think to myself oh I`ll start Christmas shopping but if I see something which is a bargain and suitable as a gift for someone, then I won`t pass it by but there`s nothing on Q`s Christmas in July which ever appeals or is an actual bargain.

I must admit I saw some gorgeous sterling silver earrings in Debenhams reduced from £25 to £10 in their sale so I came home and ordered 3 pairs online as Christmas gifts. They were too nice to miss at that price.
I also bought some half price gift sets from Heathcote and Ivory online sale. Cath Kidson shower gels, body lotions, sets of bath bombs too. We have 7 grandchildren between us, 6 girls and 1 boy and 3 of the girls are young teenagers so they love sets of anything bubbly or smelly. I don`t actively think to myself oh I`ll start Christmas shopping but if I see something which is a bargain and suitable as a gift for someone, then I won`t pass it by but there`s nothing on Q`s Christmas in July which ever appeals or is an actual bargain.

So true! Especially the bargain...

i never think i actively shop for xmas during the year but i do. if i see nice goodies as been mentioned i will buy and keep for birthday presents, moved to a new home pressie, xmas pressies even baby shower pressies (normally smellies for the mum to be) and i am not that generous tbh. i like to buy quite lux pressies ugg slippers, nice sleepwear and good smellies. premium stuff but cheap as chips. to this means shopping throughout the year.

I'm not an avid Christmas shopper ,tend to keep it low key ,I avoid Christmas in July. Having said that ,it is sensible to buy well in advance especially if shopping online because of the risk it won't be delivered in time.There are always the complaints that gifts weren't delivered as promised and people feeling let down. Still don't think we need Christmas themed days though.

Did anybody hear Julia R singing on the karioke machine? Let's just say don't give up the day job Julia, Simon Cowell will not be signing you up.

I'm another one who shops throughout the year, not on Christmas specials but when I see a good bargain. It means that by the beginning of December, I've got everything I want to buy for everyone and good quality stuff, too. My latest was a pair of binoculars bought new from ebay at a bargain price. Lola Rose sales are a must - always keeps someone happy unless I nab it first.

Latest posts

Back