Clare on the cooking show

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Tilley

Registered Shopper
I do like Clare but today on the show about the pans I thought she looked really unsuitably dressed - a one shoulder/sleeve missing outfit. I know she was not actually cooking but not really kitchen dress. Didn't give the impression she actually does much cooking. Maybe it one of JF's little numbers as she favours showing off her too skinny shoulders in numerous bare shoulder tops - mind you they wouldn't fit Clare would they.

Agree, she looked ridiculous and that dress was awful. I always think the things Simon Brown cooks are under done as well, always look pale and insipid to me - although I like him, he's very entertaining.

CC

When she was doing the Ultrasun hour with Abi C she commented on 'mummy's husband'. (They haven't been married long). Seemed a bit twee for a grown woman !

She's always gushing about "mummy". I mean call your mum what you want but I personally find it sounds really odd for a grown woman to be saying "my mummy", but each to their own. My friends would fall about laughing if I said it and anyway I never would as she gave me awful hair :mysmilie_17:

CC

My 90 year old Mum and her 83 year old sister always called my grandmother "Mummy" and still refer to her as that when they talk about her, I've never heard them call her anything else. I don't know why it's stayed as "Mummy" their whole lives, my Mum says it wouldn't occur to them to call her anything else.

My mum (would be 91 next month) always called her Dad Daddy even when he was pushing 100; her mum was always Mother. It's just something that changes between regions and generations. When my sister-in-law lost her father she was inexplicably angry when my Mum said "It's awful to lose your Daddy" or words to that effect. I never did find out why.

As a regional thing we had Nana and Grandpa, whereas down here in Sussex there are more Nannies which sound more like childcare or goats to me ear but I doubt I'd say that to anyone about their loved ones. I'm sad that my children never knew their Grandpa; they only had a Grandad which never sounded as warm and cuddly as Grandpa to my ears(ofcourse whatever one's rellies are known as doesn't make them any worse or batter at the role.

I had a Nanna, two Nans and a Grandad, but the only one I was close to was my Nanna, my Mum's "Mummy". She died 41 years ago, and I still miss her a lot.

Personally if calling your mum "mummy" is your worst trait you are doing OK in my book.

Mr L's family called their parents by their Christian names even as small children which I found odd.

I call my mum, well, mum lol. But on birthday and Christmas cards she always writes mom. I think a lot of northern people spell it this way.
I called both my grandfathers, grandad. My maternal grandmother, nan (or nannan when I was little) and my paternal grandmother, grandma.

Me and my brother call our dad, Peter, Pierre No Hair, on the account of him being slightly follicaly challenged. We don't say it to his face however :mysmilie_11:

When I was a youngster, my parents insisted on mummy and daddy... once me and my brother realised how out of step that was with our friends we rebelled and shortened them to mum and dad. We had battle royale with my gran. She had been grandma and only caved to gran when we promised never to call her granny (and after we'd subjected her to grannyma-ma as an alternative). My dad's mum was nana, and his (scary) dad was grandad. Mum's dad was grandpa as he died before we'd got rebellious about what we called them.

My cousins always called their mum Lil. My brother and I were confused as that wasn't the name we knew her by at all. Turns out we knew her by her second name and her first was Lily or Lillian. I've got various friends whose mums are called by a nickname rather than either a maternal title or a first name.

I'm an aunt, but never use the title on cards etc and have never encouraged anyone to use the title... but I've no objection if people feel more comfortable using it rather than calling me by my first name.

It's no odds to me what people call their parents, grandparents or each other - live and let live.

We all have our little foibles - that's what makes us all unique.

Mine is being referred to by my first name by children. I was brought up to call adults Mr or Mrs ?, and family and friends as aunty or uncle. Even now, in my 60's I still call my 'elders' as Mr or Mrs, unless they are friends. My own personal view is that respect starts at a young age, and calling an adult by their first name puts them on a par, and they're not. We've seen students call their teachers by their first name and that's when discipline has broken down. When I first started work, it was an environment of the bosses being Mr or Mrs, some may say it was a subservient way of carrying on, but no real harm was done, - it was all about manners at the end of the day.

We all have our little foibles - that's what makes us all unique.

Mine is being referred to by my first name by children. I was brought up to call adults Mr or Mrs ?, and family and friends as aunty or uncle. Even now, in my 60's I still call my 'elders' as Mr or Mrs, unless they are friends. My own personal view is that respect starts at a young age, and calling an adult by their first name puts them on a par, and they're not. We've seen students call their teachers by their first name and that's when discipline has broken down. When I first started work, it was an environment of the bosses being Mr or Mrs, some may say it was a subservient way of carrying on, but no real harm was done, - it was all about manners at the end of the day.

That's exactly how I was brought up brissles showing respect to your elders no matter who they were. I cringe when I hear the 'yooth' of today calling the GP by his first name I couldn't do that even though he is much younger than I.

Personally I've been working non-stop for 44 years and I've never called a boss "Mr", "Mrs" or "Miss". From the day I started work at 18 I've been on christian name terms with everyone I've ever worked with or for. Either they earned the respect of those who worked under them or they didn't, it had nothing to do with what we called them. I try to treat everyone with respect, but that doesn't include being subserviant, it means I treat them as equal human beings. I don't believe anybody automatically deserves respect just because they hold a certain position. If I met the queen there's no way I'd demean myself by calling her "Ma'am" as if she's somehow superior just because of an accident of birth, and there is absolutely no way I would curtsey. I wouldn't shake her hand unless she took her glove off either, as I believe insisting on wearing a glove shows disrespect for those she's meeting. Likewise I don't treat children as if they deserve less respect than adults. We all have to earn respect, it's not an automatic right just because of our age or the job we happen to do.

Hmmmm, interesting comments Scout. .............. " I don't believe anybody automatically deserves respect just because they hold a certain position."......... does that hold true say for a Consultant Surgeon who was going to operate on you ?

Hmmmm, interesting comments Scout. .............. " I don't believe anybody automatically deserves respect just because they hold a certain position."......... does that hold true say for a Consultant Surgeon who was going to operate on you ?

I agree, a consultant is called "Mr" then his surname for a reason, because he instantly commands respect for what he does, same with GPs, the fact they're there to help, to me, they instantly deserve respect.

I think it all comes down to the way you were brought up and also "mostly" an age thing. My mother would have killed me if I had called my elders by their Christian names. I never felt completely comfortable calling my late IL's by their Christian names and without children bridging the awkwardness with gran or a nickname I tended to avoid using names at all!

I do know I would never have kept a job at 16 calling my supervisor by his Christian name but perhaps that is a city/country town thing.

I also think that if you are introduced to someone in a certain way and take on that way of speaking to them it becomes very difficult to revert to another way. It's not so much respect but politeness. I'm not crazy about pleople I don't know assuming they can call me by my Christian name from the get go.

Regarding the queen if you are anti royalist it wouldn't matter if she was in a jogging suit and calling herself Lizzie you are never going to be polite to to her anyway.

It is a thought that if not using Mr & Mrs why keep them since we are now in a world where gender is all up in the air? I never liked the term Ms as I thought it was a total cop out, if you didn't what to be Miss or Mrs (even if you were/were not married ) then don't be anything, don't make up it up as a sop.

Yes, I agree with all you say LATIL

I worked for many years in the NHS, and never addressed patients with their first name. In fact one elderly gentleman thanked me for calling him Mr Gray, as he was so often referred to as George by people he didn't know.

Yes, again it could be an 'age' thing. Telephone cold callers are generally the young and trying to earn a living, but their 'script' calls for them to address me by my Christian name, which I find irksome as they don't know me from Adam, so I say if they wish to continue the call then refer to me as Mrs ?

Most definitely. There's a big difference between trusting the skills a person has acquired and respecting them as a person, and that someone is an excellent surgeon doesn't automatically make them a decent human being deserving respect. It's also perfectly possible to have respect for a position but not for the person who holds it. Having spent two decades working with doctors and nurses all day every day I can tell you that some consultants are the least-respected people, because a good many of them swan around like mini-gods treating the other staff and the patients as if they're something they just stepped in. Like the consultant surgeon who said to me "I like it when my patients are unconscious because then I don't have to speak to them". The most highly respected consultant surgeon I've ever met is a humble man who is on first name terms with everyone, even the junior nurses, and who treats everyone he meets as someone important to him. He earns the respect of his patients and colleagues alike not because he's a consultant surgeon, but because he's a decent, caring human being.

Regarding the queen if you are anti royalist it wouldn't matter if she was in a jogging suit and calling herself Lizzie you are never going to be polite to to her anyway.

Actually I'd love it if she turned up in a jogging suit calling herself Lizzie, now that would earn my respect! And if I met her I'd be perfectly polite, as I would if I met anyone else for the first time. I just wouldn't behave as if she's of more value than anyone else, because she isn't, and I would expect her to show respect for me by taking her glove off to shake my hand.

I agree, a consultant is called "Mr" then his surname for a reason, because he instantly commands respect for what he does, same with GPs, the fact they're there to help, to me, they instantly deserve respect.

The British tradition of a surgeon being called "Mr" has nothing to do with commanding respect, in fact it arose out of the opposite - it was to show he was less qualified than a physician. Centuries ago a physician had to acquire a university degree to be able to practise, so was thought to have earned the right to be called "Dr". A surgeon, on the other hand, served an apprenticeship and got a diploma rather than a degree, so did not have the right to be called "Dr" and had to stay as "Mr". And that tradition has carried on in the UK. I was told this by an old boyfriend who was a surgeon at Guys. It used to peeve him that after all those years of training he was back as "Mr" and not "Dr".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back