Cleansers and Toners

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

T

Tyson

Guest Shopper
Hi,

I am a bit baffled to which skin care system to use.

I have sensitive normal/combination skin and don't know which range to go for.

I have just ordered Phytopeel as its on 4 pay. Which cleasner or toner would recommend? Do I need to use a toner?

Hi Tyson :wave:

For your skin type I would try the Elemis Lime Blossom cleanser & toner or the Decleor cleanser & toner as they are both light in texture and suitable for senstive skin. I have combination skin and have used both over many years. I have also used Gatineau's Sensitive skin one mainly in winter as the cleanser is richer.

I wouldn't get too bogged down by a particular range but go by what will work for your skin type and the textures that you like. I don't know anyone who doesn't mix and match their skincare.

Toners can vary depending on brand in their action and strength but the above will be gentle enough to remove last traces of cleanser , freshen, tone and rebalance the skin.

There are lots of travel size/try me kits for Decleor, Elemis, Gatineau etc which is a very good way of trying lots of different products.

Good luck!

:sun:

Hi Tyson :wave:

For your skin type I would try the Elemis Lime Blossom cleanser & toner or the Decleor cleanser & toner as they are both light in texture and suitable for senstive skin. I have combination skin and have used both over many years. I have also used Gatineau's Sensitive skin one mainly in winter as the cleanser is richer.

I wouldn't get too bogged down by a particular range but go by what will work for your skin type and the textures that you like. I don't know anyone who doesn't mix and match their skincare.

Toners can vary depending on brand in their action and strength but the above will be gentle enough to remove last traces of cleanser , freshen, tone and rebalance the skin.

There are lots of travel size/try me kits for Decleor, Elemis, Gatineau etc which is a very good way of trying lots of different products.

Good luck!

:sun:

Thank you for the helpful advice. I will have a look at those. Do you think the phytopeel will be ok for my skin type?

I have been looking at the checks and balances facial wash too, but don't know if its suitable.

Phytopeel will be fine which is one I used for quite a while but find it a bit messy at times!
Definately need to tone afterwards.

Enzyme peels are good (Elemis Papaya or Gatineau Active Eclat gommage) or if you prefer a 'grainy' exfoliator the Elemis Gentle Rose Exfoliator is good for sensitive skin.

What do you mean by 'checks and balances facial wash'? I've not heard of this.

Hi

I'm not that much use other than to say I have hypersensitve allergy prone skin and can use neither elemis cleanser and toners or the delcoer hydrating one with pink tonifying lotion.

I can use phytopeel but don't really like it and from decleor would use the radiance peel off mask, effective and no harsh rubbing on the skin but I think the simple exfoliator is just as good and waaaaay cheaper.

From QVC I couldn't really find any cleanser I like, lots of sensitive skin people like the akin one but the rose doesn't agree with me.

Checks and balances is a foaming face wash that I found really drying

I haven't tried the elemis pro radiance cleanser or the new decleor one, Cleanse and polish is fine for me but only for arond four weeks then my skin goes funny again and says NO MORE C+P!!!

I'm toying with the idea of trying the ark age maintain one (I'm 36) but not sure yet.

What is fab is the superdrug purity organic skin care conditioning cleansing lotion which costs about £4.99, not scent apart from a slight alonmdy one I think but no fragrance or parfum, just the naural ingredients, its lovely and gentle, doesn't do anything amazing like some cleansers claim to do but is a great gentle cleanser.

Some peep who don't tolerate essential oils well, the bane of many sensiitve skin types, like the alpha h balancing cleanser, which doesn't have any.

I can use but don't very often as it doesn't remove eye makeup, the elemis sensitive cleansing wash, a bt drying for me but smells beautiful, lasts for ages and no flare ups

Good luck

Last edited:
Phytopeel will be fine which is one I used for quite a while but find it a bit messy at times!
Definately need to tone afterwards.

Enzyme peels are good (Elemis Papaya or Gatineau Active Eclat gommage) or if you prefer a 'grainy' exfoliator the Elemis Gentle Rose Exfoliator is good for sensitive skin.

What do you mean by 'checks and balances facial wash'? I've not heard of this.
Checks and Balances is a cleanser from Origins its stocked by QVC. Its a frothy face wash, but I don't know if its suitable.

My skin can't tolerate Liz Earle cleanse and polish because of the essential oils but so far it is liking the Superskin concentrate.

Its hard finding a moisturiser to suit. I am 23 years old if this helps any recommendations.

my daughter has extremely sensitive skin and couldn't use any of the stuff qvc sells as unfortunately though they are 'natural' ie Liz earle, decleor, elemis etc, the essential oils and natural perfumes irritate her skin.
The only range she can use without any problems whatsoever is Simple.her skin is beautiful. porcelain and blemish free with this range.
Unfortunately natural doesnt always mean gentle.

my daughter has extremely sensitive skin and couldn't use any of the stuff qvc sells as unfortunately though they are 'natural' ie Liz earle, decleor, elemis etc, the essential oils and natural perfumes irritate her skin.
The only range she can use without any problems whatsoever is Simple.her skin is beautiful. porcelain and blemish free with this range.
Unfortunately natural doesnt always mean gentle.

This is so true, I am on a quest to find a synergy of products that work for me, it hasn't happened yet. I have used loads of products over the years and nothing seems to help. I have probably spent hundreds on my skincare routine as I have been using products since I was 13.

Having sensitve/combination skin for many years one thing my skin cannot tolerate is a wash off cleanser. No matter how 'non-drying' they say they are, on my skin they are all drying. I don't get this problem using cleansers and toners.

To choose the right products you must go with what your main concern is, so if sensitivity is your primary concern over oiliness, dryness, antiageing etc then you should choose products to treat sensitivity first and when that has corrected itself then move on to your secondary concern.

Sensitivity can be caused by so many different things, external, internal, allergies, products and trying to eliminate the cause can be difficult or in some cases impossible because of medication for example.

My skin can't tolerate Liz Earle cleanse and polish because of the essential oils but so far it is liking the Superskin concentrate.

Its hard finding a moisturiser to suit. I am 23 years old if this helps any recommendations.

One that I used for a while when my skin was very sensitive was Clarins Skin Beauty repair concentrate which was great, very calming and soothing for hyper sensitive skin followed by their Gentle Day cream. Once that had cleared I went on to use Clarins Hydra Matt Lotion for combination skin, you should be able to get a sample of this and the other products from any Clarins counter.

I booked a facial for a few weeks time at my local salon (which uses Decleor, Carita, Aromathereapy Associates and La Prairie). The therapist there recommended a mini facial using the Decleor products.

I was thinking about purchasing a 75ml cleanser and toner set from eBay to try the products a bit more as I have just finished the 5ml sizes of the cleanser and toner and the breakouts I had are healing slightly. I was thinking at least that way I'm not spending too much on a cleanser and toner that doesn't perform after a week or so.

With regards to the facial I was thinking this way I could try out the treatment, see if I like the products, if there was a reaction and whether I would like to use the products on a daily basis.

My skin has red marks from previous breakouts (the breakouts I have aren't acne, but I would love to get rid of the red marks and black heads once and for all).

Elemis rose exfoliator I found too harsh for my sensitive skin. I have recommended before on this forum Garnier grape cleanser and toner, they are very gentle but the rose in this range was too strong for me (I reacted immediately). I love Elem. pro radiance cleanser but did take a while to adjust to it, nearly gave up because of sensitivity but glad I persisted. Decleor I can't use cos of essent. oils, do you know of any sensitivities, I have to be careful because of aloe vera, perfumes and lanolin. Knowing yours will allow you to avoid irritants, maybe a skin analysis is in order, might save you money in the long run on things you end up not being able to use. Good luck.

Elemis rose exfoliator I found too harsh for my sensitive skin. I have recommended before on this forum Garnier grape cleanser and toner, they are very gentle but the rose in this range was too strong for me (I reacted immediately). I love Elem. pro radiance cleanser but did take a while to adjust to it, nearly gave up because of sensitivity but glad I persisted. Decleor I can't use cos of essent. oils, do you know of any sensitivities, I have to be careful because of aloe vera, perfumes and lanolin. Knowing yours will allow you to avoid irritants, maybe a skin analysis is in order, might save you money in the long run on things you end up not being able to use. Good luck.

I don't know of any sensitivities. When I use a product that's harsh my skin burns or tingles. Would a skin analysis be better than a facial?

I use all different cleansers. At the moment I have the Elemis pro radiance but have used their other cleansers. One of the better toners is the Gatineau sensitive skin toner . Even though I don't use Liz Earle C & P anymore the skin tonic is good. For foaming face washes to use in the shower one of the best is the decleor brightening foam. The new decleor one invented by Fiona is nothing special. Another good cleanser is the Gatineau melotogenine one.

my daughter is also extremely sensitive to lanoline and aloe vera too loveinamist. which is very annoying as lots of supposedly senistive ranges include aloe vera....

Perfect! Hopefully she will do a consultation first which may show what is causing the sensitivities and will use and recommend the right products for you after analysing your skin.

Facials can be expensive but long term you will be saving money as you will be using the right products instead of trying many different ones that do not work potentially causing more problems.

Decleor facials are heavenly! I am sure you will enjoy it! :happy:

Its horses for courses. Each one of us will tell a good or bad story about a brand.

I have mild roseaca and love the Elemis Sensitive Skin Wash, use it with the Clarisonic. But I did use Checks and Balances and really liked it too. Gatineau I just did not get on with, for some reason I felt like I had residue left on my skin after using it. I can use the Rose Exfoliator but not the Papaya one from Elemis as it makes me itch, not tinkle but itch. My skin hates anything with rose essential oil(the Rose Exfoliator is OK I think because it does not sit on my skin that long), breaks me out. Anything with mushrooms(love eating them) in also breaks me out. Hence I stay away from Origins Dr. Weil range. I hate the smell of orange so never tried the A'Kin but many rave about the brand.

I don't know of any sensitivities. When I use a product that's harsh my skin burns or tingles. Would a skin analysis be better than a facial?

When having a facial at any salon they should always carry out a consultation and skin analysis beforehand.

The brands that a salon uses also shows the standards of training and requirements before a salon is allowed to stock their product and this one is very good! :nod:

When my skin has been really sensitive I've gone for Mir (www.mirskincare.com), which sell sample kits, you can find them online. Non-drying and non-perfumed, no essential oils, a little goes a long way and a great website that explains so much about skin. And the pure Argan oil is fab!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back