Cleansers and Toners

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've had a couple of Decleor facials and if I showed any interest in a product they'd give me a couple of samples to try at home (the sizes QVC include to pad out their sets!)

Jude x

I don't think its a good idea to stick to one anyway. I find I get breakouts after a while which is quickly sorted by changing to another brand. Bit like using the same shampoo & conditioner constantly. I alternate between Decleor, Gatineau, Judith Williams, Clarins, Clientelel ( whats happened to that on QVC ? ) & Elemis.

I used Checks & Balances years ago and it's VERY harsh...leaves skin with that squeaky clean feeling which usually means the skin has been stripped.

I love A'kin for a really effective but gentle cleanser and the Shea & Rosehip moisturiser is lovely and comforting, especially in the winter.

As everyone has said it's horses for courses but I reckon start gentle and you can always add in scrubs etc to see if your skin can tolerate them.

Good luck!

Tx

Decleor's cleanser and toner are really lovely if you are looking for traditional products. Lightweight and gentle. I've finally got round to trying the a'kin cleanser which has a toner included and I will be buying the full size of that next. I was wary of the cleanser/toner combo but I loved it. Feels very gentle and soothing. I have difficult skin with breakouts at an age when it's got no business to breakout. Think I'm one of the people who suffers from oily skin combined with dehydration. For that reason I also love Hydra Floral. Not a heavy cream but very comforting.

I don't know of any sensitivities. When I use a product that's harsh my skin burns or tingles. Would a skin analysis be better than a facial?

I would recommend analysis to give you a good starting point. Do you get burning straight away? La Roche-Posay do an online skin analysis, might be worth a look if not to purchase their prod. (they were/are? in Boots) it might help guide you to stuff you neeed to avoid and concerns you need to address.

One that I used for a while when my skin was very sensitive was Clarins Skin Beauty repair concentrate which was great, very calming and soothing for hyper sensitive skin followed by their Gentle Day cream. Once that had cleared I went on to use Clarins Hydra Matt Lotion for combination skin, you should be able to get a sample of this and the other products from any Clarins counter.

I have had very generous samples from Clarins in the past.

When my skin has been really sensitive I've gone for Mir, which sell sample kits, you can find them online. Non-drying and non-perfumed, no essential oils and a great website that explains so much about skin. And the pure Argan oil is fab!

That's interesting, Michael di Cesare puts this in his hair care products.

I would recommend analysis to give you a good starting point. Do you get burning straight away? La Roche-Posay do an online skin analysis, might be worth a look if not to purchase their prod. (they were/are? in Boots) it might help guide you to stuff you neeed to avoid and concerns you need to address.

I will have look at the analysis. As soon as I apply the mask (Origins clear improvement it burns around the nose) the modern friction again by Origins made my cheeks and chin really red and my chin in particular looked angry. This irritated as I was applying.

I've heard rosehip oil is supposed to be good. I tried this on the back of my hand in Boots and wasn't keen on how rich it was. Maybe I'm too young for this at the moment?

Last edited:
My skin can't tolerate Liz Earle cleanse and polish because of the essential oils but so far it is liking the Superskin concentrate.

Its hard finding a moisturiser to suit. I am 23 years old if this helps any recommendations.

Have a look at this, it might help: http://www.paulaschoice.co.uk/. This range is completely fragrance free and it has totally different take on ingredients (not necessarily natural, but definitely skin friendly and non irritating).

Interesting read all the info on the web. I still use the salicylic acid for exfoliation and my skin feels like glass! This range has helped me with my adult acne and they are completely under control now. Their Resist moisturiser is lovely too, very reminiscent in texture and results to Elemis' PCMC (only without the lovely smell though, but a lot less £££).
But more to the point the cleansers and toners are excellent, and you can try first by getting the samples, see if it suits you before you purchase the full sizes.

Last edited:
I have just done th La Roche-Posay skin analysis and the result is moderately sensitive prone to redness and reacts to cosmetics. That explains all the tingling and redness that has been happening of late. It looks like my current regime is causing more harm than good.

It makes you wonder if the Phytopeel will be the same and make my skin red or burn?

I have just done th La Roche-Posay skin analysis and the result is moderately sensitive prone to redness and reacts to cosmetics. That explains all the tingling and redness that has been happening of late. It looks like my current regime is causing more harm than good.

It makes you wonder if the Phytopeel will be the same and make my skin red or burn?

Sounds like you have a sensitive T.Zone, products that strip the oil from this area will irritate. Have a chat with a Clinique rep. in Boots, they are hypo-allergenic, whilst I can't use all their cleansing products I can use their make-up (I'm weird, I know). Come away armed with samples as they can do the hard sell, stand your ground and say you need to be reassured before you spend your pennies. On a good note, they do do nice free gift packs when you spend so much, another good way of trying things you might not partic. use at that time.

To be honest you won't get a true analysis by answering questions online. You really need this done on a one to one with an expert who can see your skin.
Check with the salon before your appointment that you will get a consultation and skin analysis. Also mention when you do go the products that you have used that give you a reaction so that she can determine the ingredient that could be causing the redness/tingling etc.

I'm a bit of a cheap skate when it comes to cleansers but hate paying alot of cash for them and finding they dont work, I've tried the brands on QVC and had a few successes and a few failures.

At the mo I'm using Boots cold cream cleanser, nice smell, works well, I slap it on and then use my hot cloths to remove, works really well on waterproof mascara as well. Only downside is it comes in a glass bottle which isnt very safe for a bathroom imo.

I have combi/oily skin although it does get a wee bit sensitive in the winter. I love water on my face as well, but find the foaming cleansers can be a tad drying.

MsTrouble can you please tell me if Clarins skincare is better than Decleor I have always wanted to try it but am put off by counter staff if you even dare to stop and look.which is one of the reasons I buy from QVC although I have just returned the Gatineau tsv awful moisturiser imo thanks in advance.

Fiona still insisting you don't need to use toner after using her new cleanser!

Sounds like you have a sensitive T.Zone, products that strip the oil from this area will irritate. Have a chat with a Clinique rep. in Boots, they are hypo-allergenic, whilst I can't use all their cleansing products I can use their make-up (I'm weird, I know). Come away armed with samples as they can do the hard sell, stand your ground and say you need to be reassured before you spend your pennies. On a good note, they do do nice free gift packs when you spend so much, another good way of trying things you might not partic. use at that time.

I have used Clinique in the past and the products are harsh on my skin. Its one of the ranges I react to.

I've heard that Cetaphil is a very good (non reactive) cleanser. Anyone tried that?

MsTrouble can you please tell me if Clarins skincare is better than Decleor I have always wanted to try it but am put off by counter staff if you even dare to stop and look.which is one of the reasons I buy from QVC although I have just returned the Gatineau tsv awful moisturiser imo thanks in advance.

Hi,

Truthfully one isn't better than the other. I used Clarins for years before Decleor and still do use some of their products. It really is a matter of preference and works for your skin.

Clarins had been around a long time in salons before appearing in places like Boots and dept stores. I understand completely what you are saying about counter staff, they are very sales driven and so off putting. If you want to try Clarins I would look out in the dept stores or Boots for when they have their Beauty evenings, there are bound to be some now it is getting nearer christmas. I know the Boots near me is having one in 2 weeks and do them regularly through the year.

It's quite informal and you wouldn't be as pressurised as if you were at the counter on your own. They often do drinks and nibbles and give you make up tips etc and often you come away with a goody bag. Tickets may cost around £10-£15 but would be refunded against a product purchased on the night. A good opportunity to get as many samples as you can too!

Another way to try is go to a dept store who stock Clarins as they will have a beauty room for treatments.
You can book a facial which may cost around £20 but again would be refunded against a product bought and you would get some samples to try. They usually have leaflets on their counters telling about any beauty events. I usually hover when the SA is busy with another customer! :happy:

Latest posts

Back