Combined washer dryers

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

loveallthingsitalian

Registered Shopper
Need to replace my tumble dryer and as my washing machine is fairly old considering the washer and dryer combined option.

Thinking of paying around £600/800 . We are a household of 2 so it doesn't have to accommodate loads of kids clothes and I don't use the dryer a lot, mostly bedclothes and household bits, rarely clothes.

Couldn't normally consider combined items but time has moved on with appliance technology so thought perhaps things had improved.

I just about have room for separates but combined would be easier and free up much needed space.

Has anyone had very recent experiences they would like to pass on?

TIA

It is a long time since I owned one, but it did neither job particularly well. I wouldn't go back. I have a really good washing machine with a high rev spin and a Lakeland heated tower drier. However, as I say, it is some years. I suspect the best thing to do would be to have a look at the reviews. Hope you solve your dilemma.

I have always had a separate washer and dyer
I love it that I can have one lot drying while I other is washing
There is just me and hubbys stuff though unless daughter drops a load off while visiting
Daughter has a combined one due to lack of space
Blooming thing takes forever to do a wash and dry cycle
I could have done two wash loads and dried them in the time it takes her to do one so also said there are less drying options so even drying thin items take an hour ,she has a hotpoint
I would never opt for a washer dryer myself but some people do prefer them
If space is an issue you can get a stacking kit so tumble dryer goes on top of washing machine,
I always wanted to do that but I had a window in the way

I bought my indesit combined washer/dryer 16 years ago. Still going strong. Like you a household of 2 and I mainly dry on a rack and in the summer on a line in the garden. The problem with the dryer is that it only dries half loads so you have to take out half of the washing. It washes well. I have moved house and I left it behind as I rented out the house. There was already a washing machine in my new place, a very old Bosch which washes well. As my new place is a flat I am just about to pick up a condensing tumble dryer from my dad's place and will be putting that in a cupboard as there is no place in the kitchen for a washing machine and a dryer. When the Bosch eventually dies I will probably replace it with a washer dryer again. I also have just bought a dehumidifier which also dries the washing on my clothes horse as well as dehumidifying the flat. I bought it because the flat is very well insulated and there is a fair amount of condensation when it rains and is cold outside. So I currently have lots of drying options.
The only problem that I was told about the washer dryers was that as the drying unit was on the top it made it top heavy and it could make its way loose due to the spin cycle in the machine. Never happened to me.

I have never owned a washer/dryer combined. However have rented lots of holiday cottages over the years, quite a number of them have had the combination. There are none of them I would ever give house room to. Would always buy separately.

I would always buy separates simply because I use my washing machine far far more then I ever use the dryer, so would one part ie the washer as it is used far more often die before the dryer which is used far less.
I have quite an expensive (well for me) washer but a cheap and cheerful dryer. and I find this works for me.

I understand you wanting the extra space, but I did the same myself and got a combined washer/dryer. The washer bit is great but the tumble drier is not a patch on my standalone one! I only use it if I really have to. It's much more difficult to control, but what's more it's nowhere near as effective. My old one was amazing, so quick and easy to use, you could open the door mid cycle, the filter was easy as anything to clean and it dried fantastically. With my washer drier, I've lost count of the amount of times I've forgotten that some items aren't suitable for tumble drying and left it on a wash/dry cycle and ruined stuff. I can only handle really tiny loads and even then it doesn't dry everything that well...sorry to tell you this...and mine wasn't a "cheapy" either. Like others have said...look at all the reviews and choose carefully! Good luck!

I can only reiterate what several others have said, in that a combined washer/dryer will never offer the same level of performance as separate machines, especially when it comes to the dryer performance, which is usually utterly pathetic!
I would have liked to have had a combined one myself for space reasons but opted for separates from John Lewis & I absolutely love them! (I only really use the dryer for towels & bedding but even so.....!)

My daughter was recently considering swapping to a combined washer/dryer as she only has room for one machine in her kitchen & nowhere else to put another one but I talked her out of it & instead bought her a Dri Buddi to try (I know, I know, I did think it would be poo tbh!) but she is delighted with it, it finishes off things from the line brilliantly & can be stored away in a cupboard when not in use!
(She has a 5 year old & a toddler so washing machine runs pretty much constantly! lol)

I would only consider a combined machine if you have no access to a washing line whatsoever & even then I'd have to think about it......!

I had one once and said never again. I don't tumble dry unless I have to but it was still an absolute pain.

Latest posts

Back