Converting PDF Files to Word - HELP!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Pinkpussycat

Meeoow....
I'm stuck doing this and have driven myself potty all morning. :doh: I have been sent a job reference for a friend to complete and want to fill it in online using Word so that it is as neat as possible (MS has ruined my handwriting :sad:) and then email it. I have scanned the document (which is in the form of a spreadsheet) into my pc as a pdf and then used http://www.pdfonline.com/pdf-to-word-converter/ to convert to Word. :whew: So far so good but I cannot add text to the bliddy thing which is the whole point of doing it. :headbang: When I downloaded the converted doc I see the file is now saved as xxxxxx.rtf and I assume it should be a file ending xxxx.doc so how can I get this to work so that I can add text/edit please?? Thankyou clever people. Sue xxx

Sue - I'm no expert on this and I hate .pdf's! I export .rtf's all the time from Access and simply do a "save as" .doc. You can normally edit an .rft, but I wondered if you need to change the Properties, it may be set as "read only"? Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but right-click on the closed document name and see if "read only" is selected.

Knowing .pdf's it's probably not as simple as this!

Hi Frazzled :hi: Thanks for the suggestion hon, I looked at properties and the read only box wasn't checked so it can't be that which is preventing me editing the bliddy thing...I'm getting really ratty with it now!! :grin:

Sue,

I had a dummy run through the process and when it came up as .rft (rich text format) it wouldn't let me edit it until I clicked on Enable Editing on the bar above within Word (2010).

I've just tried editing a pdf file, although it wasn't a form so it probably won't work for you - but you never know.

I simply copied the pdf file by highlighting the contents with the mouse and then pasted it into a new Word document. I was then able to change the text.

Hi Jan :wave: I'm having a dummy moment :grin: I'm using Word 2007 and I can't find anything on the toolbar that says enable editing :doh: so I'm stuck hon.

Hi Toril :wave: pasting doesn't work unfortunately cos it puts all the boxes out of line which is a bliddy shame as it would make life much simpler.

I think I need to go back to the beginning and ask if I have done to right thing all along so this is what I've done so far:

When I first scanned the doc I had several options to choose from and these were:
  • Document to TIF File
  • Document to PDF File
  • Document To Searchable PDF File
  • Text (OCR) to RTF File
  • Document To E-mail
  • Text (OCR) To WordPad
  • Document To File

The first time I saved it as a PDF and then used the program mentioned in my first post to convert it to a word file which appeared to have worked but I can't edit it :doh: so then I tried the scan to RTF option and now I'm in such a bliddy mess I need a stiff drink lol. Should I just start all over again and what is the best way to go about it please??

Sue would you like to email it to me and I'll see if I can get it done so you can type on it?

No promises but I'm up for giving it a go Sue, I'll try anything once!

I just tried a copy and paste of an existing pdf (a timetable) into Word - I also did it paste special "unformatted" - both worked, would need tidying up but allows me to edit OK?
Maybe your pdf had security formatting at source not to allow this? - pdf's are a bliddy nuisance!

I have to change pdfs into editable text All The Flipping Time.

I used to waste hours and hours scanning and proof reading 150 - 200 page documents. [Grrr...]

However, I've found two free programs which often crack the problem:

http://www.paperfile.net/ will lead you to a program called freeocr - it's very simple to use. Tell it to look at any pdf on your computer and it'll convert it to text, or Word, as you choose. It's not the fastest conversion, because it works one page at a time, but hey, swings and roundabouts, and all that, it's pretty accurate most of the time.

Secondly, I like Nitro Reader. You use it just like Adobe, but each time you open a pdf document using Nitro, it offers you the chance to change it to text or add to your original copy. [It's great for anyone who needs to add their own notes to someone else's work, for example.]

It's here: http://www.nitroreader.com/

Nitro also has a program just for pdf form filling: http://www.nitroreader.com/tour/forms.aspx

HTH!

Thankyou everyone for all your helpful suggestions, I'm always amazed at how kind people are on this forum. :flower: I was sorted out by the lovely Jan who went to a great deal of trouble and I'm so grateful to her. Sublime, I have saved both of those links and next time I may even be able to do it myself but nobody hold their breath on that happening anytime soon...:doh: Sx

I was sorted out by the lovely Jan who went to a great deal of trouble and I'm so grateful to her. Sublime, I have saved both of those links and next time I may even be able to do it myself but nobody hold their breath on that happening anytime soon...:doh: Sx

Our Jan's brilliant on the old 'puters. She helped me out by explaining how to copy and compress DVDs, and she's saved me so much hair-pulling since.

Jan, you should set yourself up in business - you'd make a fortune!

Last edited:
Awww shucks ladies, you've made me blush, thanks for the nice words.

Latest posts

Back