Craig Rowe - A Place in the Sun

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The people viewing are usually focusing on looking for outside space and of course the pool.I do know in Spain the things I would be looking for if I was spending time there between Nov. & Feb. / March would be heating & forget the pool unless it is heated, very rare, it is freezing.We stayed on beyond the New Year in a rented apartment, very nice and great to sit out in the daytime but come night, another story! We met some expats who had moved permanently there & she had a hot shower each night just to get warm.

I wonder if there is as much interest in homes abroad because of Brexit and covid?

I have a friend who lives in Spain who says energy prices are very high, too expensive to use air con in summer and too expensive for heating in winter!

I was desperate to move to Australia for years and applied several times for a visa so I could go over and try and get a job, however, I never met the criteria and so here I am in Scotland. I've visited often but it's the one place in the world I'd pack up and move to tomorrow. Spain's nice but I couldn't see me living there. The cost of living in Australia though is much more than the UK (which is bad enough) but they do earn higher wages.

CC

The people viewing are usually focusing on looking for outside space and of course the pool.I do know in Spain the things I would be looking for if I was spending time there between Nov. & Feb. / March would be heating & forget the pool unless it is heated, very rare, it is freezing.We stayed on beyond the New Year in a rented apartment, very nice and great to sit out in the daytime but come night, another story! We met some expats who had moved permanently there & she had a hot shower each night just to get warm.

Also, dampness is another thing that's not often mentioned. When properties are left for several months then habited during the summer months, many villa owners I know generally have to renew their bed linen and pillows because damp mould has ruined them. Probably why the markets are awash with bed linens and towels ;)

I wonder if there is as much interest in homes abroad because of Brexit and covid?

I have a friend who lives in Spain who says energy prices are very high, too expensive to use air con in summer and too expensive for heating in winter!
They dont mention that if you buy a holiday home in the EU you can only stay in it 90 days a year. This would include other members of the family using it as well I assume. Dont know how the rules if you let it out when you arent using it.

I said earlier in this post that I actually sold property in Spain for a living, and honestly ? when people signed on the dotted line, er no, they never giggled, but were far more intent on buying furniture.

For anyone thinking of relocating to Spain, I always recommended buying a small property here, even if its a flat. Circumstances change, particularly for a couple. If one partner passes away, then at least the surviving one has the option of returning home, as in some ex-pat areas its very much a couples orientated social life.

Also there is a misconception that presenters on this show 'help' potential buyers to purchase a property. These people are not estate agents, they are what they are - presenters. There are researchers behind the scenes who do all the trawling of agencies to find suitable properties within the price ranges. The promo shots of presenters sat at their laptops supposedly looking for villas and apartments is purely for the camera. In fact knowing how agents have the gift of the gab, I'm surprised that bone fide agents are not used for this programme instead of ex models, and their ilk.
I agree with you over buying a small property in the UK. I can never understand why people sell everything and sink all their money into a home abroad without a thought of what could happen if one of them was left on their own. I know they could sell their property but its much better to have a bolt hole here to fall back on.

If you live in Northern Ireland, we can get an Irish passport as well as hold a UK passport. Loads have both, so the 90-day rule does not apply to them. A friend goes over to her apartment in Spain every other month for a few weeks.

I remembered about the show yesterday, missed the first 15 minutes on channel 4 plus 1. A new male presenter, open shirt flashing his pecks. No idea his name but rather handsome.

Now for a change it was France they had £200,000 plus to spend. Beautiful houses with green land and one had a pool. The one they wanted the owner refused to come down to their price so left on the table. The house was £200,000 they offered £150,000, but the owner came down to £168.000 they went up to £160,000 and the owner said no. They wanted to put in a downstairs bathroom, but I thought ****** hell for another £8000 if they really wanted, and it wouldn't cost that big of a drop to put in another bathroom?

Where another friend lives a man, a pensioner, goes off to Thailand for the winter and then comes back. As he lives in council property and gets his rent paid for him, someone reported him. Living abroad for 4-5 months a year for years and getting his rent paid.

I saw that programme yesterday if it is the one where the woman seemed ‘hard going’? Not Ms personality and she gave vibes that she was bored with the whole experience.I wouldn’t have the nerve to put in the ‘cheeky offers’ that some of them put forward, I would end up paying over the odds!I often wonder how many actually do complete on their purchases.

I saw that programme yesterday if it is the one where the woman seemed ‘hard going’? Not Ms personality and she gave vibes that she was bored with the whole experience.I wouldn’t have the nerve to put in the ‘cheeky offers’ that some of them put forward, I would end up paying over the odds!I often wonder how many actually do complete on their purchases.
Was that the one in France with the woman with tattoos.

I've often wondered that too. Escape to the Country have done a handful of 're-visiting' programmes on those potential clients who actually bought, but never seen any on Place in the Sun. The majority shown tend to 'think about it', or maintain they're returning again "in a few weeks time"

Whenever I took clients to Spain, they paid they're own fares and hotel bills, but they had a few dinners on the company I worked for, so I believe Place in the Sun clients generally have to prove that they are genuine buyers and no doubt they too have to pay their own way.

Yes, I remember on another forum digitalspy they have a long-running thread on the show. Quite a few said they know when people are serious about buying within the first 5 minutes, or just going for a nose.

Escape To The Country do they tell you at the end if the people bought the house. Usually a voice-over if you are lucky saying they found another place or are still looking.

I am happy staying here in the UK. We lived inthe USA near SanFrancisco for a few years, part of a job secondment for Paul. I loved the place but the heat does not do well for me. I am so fair that I burn instantly and factor 50+ doesn;t protect for long, plus I just plain hate being hot and bothered. Holiday in Australia was torture, lovely place but the size of the bugs, no thanks! We had a place down on the Isles of Scilly, off Cornwall which we loved but it is a devilishly expensive place to live, so we sold up and Paul has shoved the money away for retirement. Not a massive profit a as we had a mortgage on it. Scotland is my dream, beautiful country and not hot! We visit Shetland quite a bit but that may be too far out bearing in mind my healthcare needs for the future will only increase.

Latest posts

Back