Craig Rowe - A Place in the Sun

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have 2 types of holiday. Most years I go to Orlando Florida and treat it as a resort holiday , ie pool, swimming, good restaurants, shopping, couple of days at a theme park and general “chilling”. Always Nov for the driest weather and temps similar to a warm English summer. I’m not a beach or suntan girl.

Every few years I have an ‘adventure’. Most recent were a coach tour of Japan and then a 7 day cruise down as far as Lisbon with some great stops.

I travel solo and enjoy organised tours etc.

I'm a 'solo' travel girl too ! Also been to Japan on a tour - loved it, and of course my cruises when I feel at my most relaxed. I live in hopes that I'll meet someone like him on the left 🤭 🤭 🤭
I’ve noticed that lots of women travel solo, it doesn’t faze me at all. It’s either that or nowhere ! I was surprised how much I enjoyed the cruise and had my eye on more until stymied by Covid 🤬. I’m 66 and have lost 2 years worth of travel so I need to get a move on !

I booked my cruise to Portugal and Spain in November last April ! - living in hopes that all this nonsense would be sorted out by then. I have clothes hung in the wardrobe waiting to see the sun of Malaga or waiting to look glamorous as a waiter serves me my drink at dinner or in the ballroom (sigh)

I’m a solo traveller too, I have been going for years and have made some great friends on the way. I live on my own and don’t fancy going on my Tod. I travel with Friendship Travel mostly but also Solos. I’m off to Antigua in March and Turkey in June. I always have a great time, some people you gel with and some you don’t but the groups are usually big enough to avoid those you don’t have much in common with

We have no travel plans for the forseeable future. I would like to get away somewhere but honestly, the faff we had last year just getting up to Yorkshire! Paul's Mum lives up near Halifax but she only has 1 bedroom, so we stay at the Holiday Inn when we go up. We had to re-schedule the hotel 4 times, finally made it up on the 5th attempot. It was just the Covid restrictions, it was a lovely visit when we finally made it. I liove it around there in the hills, it's pretty flat around here.

Japan was a fantastic holiday, we went in 2018. We didn't go on an organised or package holiday but did our own thing. Hellishly expensive and can't afford to repeat it but had a great time. My absolute favourite thing was the visit to the Nagasaki Bio Park. I am crazy about Capibara and they just wander around loose, you can feed them and stroke them. It's a bliddy long way to go for a zoo but nevertheless that was my favourite part. Paul was bullet train crazy! There is a railway station we visited where the station master is a cat! He is called Tama and I think he is the 3rd Tama they have had. He has a large, ornate cage and wears a uniform. Only in Japan!

I looked at holidays at the weekend but the different criteria for each country became exhausting. One allowed a NHS travel certificate if last vac was within a year of travel but my preferred destination only allowed 6 months and since I had my booster in November I would have to go by April to allow a margin and that’s not suitable for me.

I totally agree. There is a lot of downloading Apps, certificates, tests taken a certain time before leaving, or before returning, then think of the first number you thought of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......... The only document I want to wave is my Boarding Pass.

We have no travel plans for the forseeable future. I would like to get away somewhere but honestly, the faff we had last year just getting up to Yorkshire! Paul's Mum lives up near Halifax but she only has 1 bedroom, so we stay at the Holiday Inn when we go up. We had to re-schedule the hotel 4 times, finally made it up on the 5th attempot. It was just the Covid restrictions, it was a lovely visit when we finally made it. I liove it around there in the hills, it's pretty flat around here.

Japan was a fantastic holiday, we went in 2018. We didn't go on an organised or package holiday but did our own thing. Hellishly expensive and can't afford to repeat it but had a great time. My absolute favourite thing was the visit to the Nagasaki Bio Park. I am crazy about Capibara and they just wander around loose, you can feed them and stroke them. It's a bliddy long way to go for a zoo but nevertheless that was my favourite part. Paul was bullet train crazy! There is a railway station we visited where the station master is a cat! He is called Tama and I think he is the 3rd Tama they have had. He has a large, ornate cage and wears a uniform. Only in Japan!

I loved many highlights on my Japanese trip - our Courier took us to THE BEST area for Crafting Supplies EVER !! A 4 storey building with two floors devoted to making jewellery - imagine the 'stuff' we saw and wanted to buy !! and that was just one building in a long road of others where different crafts were catered for. It was a crafters paradise ! Aside from that I was over-excited at seeing red capped giant Cranes in their natural habitat - ohhhhh they were the epitome of elegance and beauty. No wonder they are depicted on most things Japanese.

I've been travelling solo for a few years now, as well. Definitely doesn't bother me, because I just love travel and it's lovely if you make friends along the way. Mr.L refuses to kennel the dogs and when we had a pet-sitter a couple of times it wasn't so great. He is also happy to holiday solo, even though it's dearer, just for the peace of mind.

There a lot of us single travellers.It is 5 years now since I have been abroad and I am hoping to go again this year although haven’t got any bookings yet am looking.I have enjoyed several organised tours in England last year but am thinking of a hotel holiday to do as I want and not be on the go every day.When I was a couple I would book flight/hotel usually a city break & off we would go.That could be a bit isolating on my own I feel, but going in a group of initially strangers is no worry.Cruising doesn’t appeal to me, perhaps river but the single supplement is usually quite an item.

Yes SF, sadly the single supplement is not a friend of the solo traveller. Even solo designated holidays load up the prices. I often say it would be cheaper for me to take along a companion on my cruise and pay half her fare and it would STILL be cheaper than me going alone. Crackers.

I thought you would have taken the opportunity to escape Lynne. Hope you had a lovely time and we are not the least bit jealous- honest! 👙👓

BTW what differences did the restrictions, if any, make in comparison to earlier years?
There was a lot of faffing about with paperwork and everything had to be uploaded on to the Verifly app, the most anxiety was with the testing as it had to be done within 2 days of travel, sadly I did read a lot of people tested positive and were unable to fly☹️The majority of people were wearing masks in Florida and it was a necessity in the airport and on the ✈️ but yes I would do it all again, hopefully a lot of the rules will be relaxed for our next trip.🤞

Someone on one of the singles holidays I went on recommended booking through “Passion for Cruises“, they offer deals for singles, I don’t know how good they are as I don’t go on cruises myself but it may be worth a look

what Is even worse is that often the room for which you have paid a single supplement for is often the worse room in the hotel.
That is a situation that can arise mainly in older hotels.On my recent trips I have stayed in a Marriott & Crowne Plaza and get a double room however not everyone likes the big corporate style hotels, but that is why I like them and the food and services have been very good.Also I did a tour in the US several years ago and the same applied there.I have heard of singles in the equivalent of a broom cupboard overlooking the bins.I always check out hotels and over the years despite some being more basic but that was expected, never had a bad one.

I think Craig is back on Monday 17th January.
Yes you are correct was going to post a reminder Sunday.

Place In The Sun Monday 17/01
Channel 4 3pm (UK time)

Diane and John have holidayed on Spain’s Costa Calida for many years and now want to buy their very own property there.
Craig Rowe shows them the five fantastic properties he’s lined up.

Latest posts

Back