Dave the jadeite man

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

No, of course, I don't know for sure. I pretty much said that in my initial post when I said I had just purchased these items. However, as others have already said. There have been questions about the accuracy of Gems. I personally have an amber necklace that says no treatment when it has obviously been heat treated as it has sun cracks. You get those through heat treatments. Also I quote this from a post from an ex-employee.

""By the way the working on tiny margins thing a complete load of bull. You see those pieces of Jade on screen pretty much every day? It's because they're the only things currently in stock that actually makes any money. This is because they cost something like £2 to make and then they mark it up to £100+ pounds. It's daylight robbery especially when you look at the actual quality. Oh and don't even get me started on what they actually say regarding treatments. Just one example was a really expensive parabia they sold a month or so back. Jake was on screen saying it was natural. HE'D CHANGED THE RECORDS TO MAKE IT SAY NATURAL. Whether this was originally a mistake or he's lying I can't say because I genuinely don't know but you guys can be the judges of that.""

That is interesting because this ex-employee is saying just what we are saying the stuff Gems are selling costs only a few pounds and yet they are selling it at vastly inflated prices. Also because it throws doubt, yet again, on the accuracy of Gems certificates, particularly with treatments. Also we have the question of green indicolite.

I would believe - pretty much wholesale - certification from bodies such as the GIA. Otherwise, it's a matter of trust isn't it? And right now, I trust Gemporia/ Gems about as much as I trust a Chinese ebay seller. The difference is with a Chinese ebay seller I am paying 99 pence and with Gems for a VERY similar if not identical piece I would be paying at least £99 - often more. Since their financial worries there is more than a whiff of desperation about their shows, their pricing policies and their practices - and that makes me very wary. You may have a different opinion - I'm going to stay away and hope I am proved wrong. But look at the pieces on ebay and the pieces they sell. They look very similar or identical, right down to the carving. There are good reasons to be wary - and it's not just me saying it.
If Gemporia's been caught either stretching the truth, or telling outright porkies in some instances, then why would anyone want to spend huge amounts of cash with them?

And the desperation is palpable. Every show now seems to resound with the shrill shrieks of "Buy this NOW! Check your baskets out NOW!!" from both the presenters and their "guests" IE. TweedleDave or TweedleMD.

I keep getting the feeling that I will wake up tomorrow and the channel will be gone. It doesn't exactly instill confidence in the company.

To be fair, 'fake' Jade stands out like a sore thumb. It looks waxy and the colour looks more like the dyed stuff you see in Type C Jadeite.

I wouldn't trust lab reports / certificates unless they're from a reputable lab - but to me, that eBay Jade looks like genuine Jade.

Gemporia haven't exactly been honest about 'Jade' in the past anyway. They've sold 'New Jade' on Jewellery Maker in the past - but 'New Jade' isn't Jade at all. It's a misleading marketing name for Serpentine!

I wonder how many people bought 'New Jade' thinking it was actually Jade - and have no idea that it is actually Serpentine.

To be fair, 'fake' Jade stands out like a sore thumb. It looks waxy and the colour looks more like the dyed stuff you see in Type C Jadeite.

I wouldn't trust lab reports / certificates unless they're from a reputable lab - but to me, that eBay Jade looks like genuine Jade.

Gemporia haven't exactly been honest about 'Jade' in the past anyway. They've sold 'New Jade' on Jewellery Maker in the past - but 'New Jade' isn't Jade at all. It's a misleading marketing name for Serpentine!

I wonder how many people bought 'New Jade' thinking it was actually Jade - and have no idea that it is actually Serpentine.
Excuse my ignorance but what is serpentine?

Apparently this is Dove 'Blue' Jadeite.

I don't know which Blue Dove they based this colour on, but the poor thing clearly needed to go to the vets because it must have been suffering from a severe case of Anaemia.

I think 'Dove White or Light Grey at Best' Jadeite would have been more appropriate.

I hope they managed to get the poor Dove a vet appointment for some iron supplements and it's now on the road to recovery.

Ring.jpg

Apparently this is Dove 'Blue' Jadeite.

I don't know which Blue Dove they based this colour on, but the poor thing clearly needed to go to the vets because it must have been suffering from a severe case of Anaemia.

I think 'Dove White or Light Grey at Best' Jadeite would have been more appropriate.

I hope they managed to get the poor Dove a vet appointment for some iron supplements and it's now on the road to recovery.

View attachment 25787
That's the stuff Dave and various presenters had a few months back, all of them calling it blue over and over and over again as if repetition would convince people it wasn't a murky grey/lilac colour.

We're never ever going to see the end of this jadeite, are we? Gemporia gets you nicely settled down with a "Treasures of Catford" show or something, then BAM! Suddenly, there's jadeite!

I was going to comment on this earlier, but I couldn't be bothered then. Was far too warm 😵‍💫

Anyone else see Dave and Rosie in the last ever Type A jadeite show in the afternoon? Dave promised it's the last show, but Gemporia has done this multiple times now, and yet the jadeite keeps coming.

Dave is now the master of the Emperor's New Jade: the presenters are holding some wishy-washy, vaguely snot coloured item, and Dave's waxing lyrical about its apple-green hues, delicate purple tint, or rare greyish-blue colour. I just see either dirty white or whitish snot.

is this how Gemporia got so much of the stuff so cheaply? There's no way the sellers could offload it onto the Chinese market because there's practically zero colour?

it didn't help that it's all set with neon bright gold tone: it just emphasised the mehness of the jadeite.

But wait! Dave's promised us expensive in comparison Types B and C grade material in the autumn! So yet more unending jade shows, but worse.

I really want to see how Gemporia sells the lower quality stuff when their main selling tactic for selling Type A material was "It's not Types B and C".

Should be fun. I wonder if it will all still be deemed heirloom quality? 😏

I was going to comment on this earlier, but I couldn't be bothered then. Was far too warm 😵‍💫

Anyone else see Dave and Rosie in the last ever Type A jadeite show in the afternoon? Dave promised it's the last show, but Gemporia has done this multiple times now, and yet the jadeite keeps coming.

Dave is now the master of the Emperor's New Jade: the presenters are holding some wishy-washy, vaguely snot coloured item, and Dave's waxing lyrical about its apple-green hues, delicate purple tint, or rare greyish-blue colour. I just see either dirty white or whitish snot.

is this how Gemporia got so much of the stuff so cheaply? There's no way the sellers could offload it onto the Chinese market because there's practically zero colour?

it didn't help that it's all set with neon bright gold tone: it just emphasised the mehness of the jadeite.

But wait! Dave's promised us expensive in comparison Types B and C grade material in the autumn! So yet more unending jade shows, but worse.

I really want to see how Gemporia sells the lower quality stuff when their main selling tactic for selling Type A material was "It's not Types B and C".

Should be fun. I wonder if it will all still be deemed heirloom quality? 😏
Probably! Just about everything they sell now is that!

What they'll do is fail to tell people what Type B and Type C is - and then focus on its (dyed) colour - doing price comparisons against similar coloured, but untreated, Jadeite from elsewhere.

They've taken their time to tell people how superior Type A is compared to Types B and C because its untreated - and they've emphasised on Types B and C being bleached, dyed and filled.

Once they start flogging Types B and C, they'll conveniently choose not to mention that it's been bleached, dyed and filled - and instead focus on the 'intensity' of the (dyed) colours in types B and C, and then tell us that Type A's colour is weaker (despite telling everyone to get it valued for the past year because it's amazing quality, ultra rare, it'll be handed down to your relatives for generations to come.....).

What they'll do is fail to tell people what Type B and Type C is - and then focus on its (dyed) colour - doing price comparisons against similar coloured, but untreated, Jadeite from elsewhere.

They've taken their time to tell people how superior Type A is compared to Types B and C because its untreated - and they've emphasised on Types B and C being bleached, dyed and filled.

Once they start flogging Types B and C, they'll conveniently choose not to mention that it's been bleached, dyed and filled - and instead focus on the 'intensity' of the (dyed) colours in types B and C, and then tell us that Type A's colour is weaker (despite telling everyone to get it valued for the past year because it's amazing quality, ultra rare, it'll be handed down to your relatives for generations to come.....).
Well, their Type A jadeite is pretty much the colour of dirtyish dishwater.

Presenters and buyers never mention their rubies being filled, or topaz being coated or lapis lazuli being dyed. So their not talking about Types B and C jadeite being overly enhanced wouldn't be surprising

Latest posts

Back