Dear Lord...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I grew up in the 60s & 70s & like many of my friends I wore lots of catalogue clothes. My mum had Grattan & Kays; she loved Worcester & we had a day trip every school holiday so would walk passed their lovely building in The Tything. There were all aspects of life in those shiny pages & my daughter felt the same about the one from Argos. Happy, no, happier days.

The one thing that's better about "catalogue " shopping these days is the sales. In the day of the book - you'd be sent a list of catalogue numbers and descriptions of items that had been reduced in price, no pictures, just a page number so you could look it up. Then towards the end of the season they'd send you a much smaller coloured clearance sale brochure. Now reductions can be put on the website at click of a button and can be done more frequently - Still miss a good old browse though!

I thought I had arrived when I saved enough green shield stamps for a dinner and tea set... white with blue bands , all matching. I still used the odd crockery and saved the matching sets for best, if I remember right it was four of everything... not sixes. :) :)

Yes! We also did this (except for the brother bit, we didn’t have one).
There were 4 of us girls with 5 years between us, so I imagine it was a cheap way of keeping us entertained.
We’d also cut out the head and shoulders of the models and then cut out outfits and stick them on the heads with spit.
Simple pleasures.
Me and sis lived for the old catalogues which we were allowed to have and cut up after the sales. We cut out the people and then all the furniture for their house, toys for Christmas, clothes to fit them which we stuck on with sellotape and then we made up different families so we had a neighbourhood. After that, we cut out children of different ages and changed them every few weeks to be the children of the families as they grew up. Hours and hours of fun. and tons of mess with the spare cuttings.

Then Armageddon would come (mum with a bin bag) and we had to run and try and save the paper families. Only the special ones survived and they had to flee from the attic to the basement and start their lives all over again, until the next time.

Those were the days. Even now I still look through Grattan and imagine my paper family with their posh bedrooms and garden furniture lol.

CC

LATI yes I do !!! I had Girls Crystal, Schoolfriend and Bunty every week (before I was old enough to read Valentine and Mirabelle with kissing couples). Bunty would have the cut out dresses with the model on the back. One time they reproduced school badges, and if you sent yours in and it was published they sent you a tartan Bunty scarf. Yeah ! I got one - long before Blue Peter badges I might add.

LATI yes I do !!! I had Girls Crystal, Schoolfriend and Bunty every week (before I was old enough to read Valentine and Mirabelle with kissing couples). Bunty would have the cut out dresses with the model on the back. One time they reproduced school badges, and if you sent yours in and it was published they sent you a tartan Bunty scarf. Yeah ! I got one - long before Blue Peter badges I might add.
Talking of Bunty....

There were 4 of us girls with 5 years between us, so I imagine it was a cheap way of keeping us entertained.
We’d also cut out the head and shoulders of the models and then cut out outfits and stick them on the heads with spit.
Simple pleasures.
Same here😃 Memories flooding back,some good some not so good! If you're a similar age to me you might have had 'Twinkle or Bunty
Simple pleasures.

Talking of Bunty....

I had Twinkle as quite a small child then Bunty. I loved cutting out. As for the virus sketch in 1987 Bunty, now that does make me think. . . . .

Surely not?

CC

Green Shield stamps, petrol station glasses galore, Embassy ciggy coupons (mum was an Embassy Regal smoker, 40 a day) and Benson & Hedges coupons (dad and his 60 a day habit)... we had a lot of stuff that was earned by our lungs!
Plus where my dad worked was owned by Royal Worcester, so we had posh crockery "for best" from the factory shop, alongside the Woods Beryl for daily use.

I used to read Twinkle, and my fave was the dolls' hospital...didn't need to buy it, though, as they had it in the doctor's waiting room, and I was a frequent visitor.
We had Bunty, and I did get that one at home...graduating to Jackie as I got older.
Another wonderful detour down memory lane!

My friend had Twinkle when we were about 6 or 7. That was my first introduction to comics. I had School Friend, and then progressed to Jackie, both delivered once a week with the Daily Mirror,and the Birmingham Evening Mail which dad had every day, and the Sports Argus on a Saturday.

Dad used to come home on a Friday (pay day) with a big brown paper bag full of sweeties and comics for us kids. I loved the Beezer as it always had awesome free gifts on the front. There was Twinkle, Dandy, Beano, Beezer, Topper and ten tons of things that were bad for us. Loved it.

CC

I used to get Judy delivered every Saturday and my best friend got Bunty. Half way through the week we swapped comics.

Every Saturday afternoon, dad would come back from the hospital (he was a consultant) and he’d give me a Fry’s chocolate bar.

Back the the pre everything coming from China days, we had lots of different factories/mills where I lived and everybody knew somebody who worked in one and could either get factory seconds or buy stuff with a staff discount.
As a newly wed living in a tiny flat we had carpet off cuts from a factory shop for our bedroom and living room, lino off cuts from the same factory for our kitchen, towels and curtains bought as seconds from a friend of my Mum who worked where they sewed them and crockery from a market stall which bought up factory seconds and sold them on cheap.
When we later bought our first house my Mum went into overdrive and contacted any of her friends and neighbours who worked in any kind of factory to help us buy whatever we needed as cheaply as possible. from wallpaper to furniture and everything inbetween. We had lots of cotton mills in the area and one of Mum`s friends worked there, bought fabric cheaply and then made sheets and pillow cases out of it to sell on.
When I was pregnant with my first baby his nappies were bought as seconds from the towelling factory, his cot bedding was bought from Mum`s friend who made sheets and pillowcases and when he began eating solids another friend of my sister used to get me huge sacks of Heinz tinned baby foods for about £1 a sack. He worked at the Heinz factory and the tins were slightly dented but without labels so you got a sheet of code numbers, looked on the tin , then on the list and it told you what was inside the tin. It was luck of the draw what you got , anything from chocolate pudding to baby casserole etc but luckily non of my kids were ever fussy eaters.
Almost everybody was employed somewhere which made or sold something but sadly those days are long gone. Besides that, cots or cribs are rarely passed through a family these days, the big silver cross prams I bought secondhand for each of my 3 babies are rarely ever seen, everybody has a car so baby stuff is smaller, lighter, more portable, pyrex baby bottles have been replaced with throwaway versions, terry nappies with plastic coated disposable ones, bottles, teats, dummies are no longer sterilised in a large pan of boiling water but often soaked in some bleach like chemical, Aunties, Grans or Mums rarely ever knit anything, you rarely see baby girls in pretty frilly dresses and baby boys in cute romper suits, it`s all mixed gender stuff, prams are rarely decked out in gorgeous pram sets and many prams nowadays are covered in dirt, old food, and have rarely seen a damp cloth let alone a good clean.
Anyway I`ll quit rambling and depressing myself about how things have changed and not often for the better.

Does anyine here follow Mrs Hinch? I was in Lidl a while ago and two of her four books were there £5. Nah I thought don't need. The a few weeks later one little soul left was £3.00. I bought it. Its the journal activity one. It will be entertainment at the caravan. But if anyone thinks I'm giving names to different cleaning cloths then their plot is so far lost it is further out than Pluto is.

Is it worth a read? For £3 yes. Will I buy the other three? I'd want change from a fiver for all three. She's spotted a dint in the market and making £1000s per Instagram post so good luck to her. But I can't get sucked in. £3 for a dip of the toe in the water is as much as I need to do. Crazy old world out there, I just want peace n quiet thank you.
I've never heard of her.

Simple pleasures.
Oh me and my sister did that. We called it our Cut out Game. We used to cut out prams and babies as well, make slits in the prams and put the babies in.

I've never heard of her.
If you had tried to buy some items especially zoflora and found that every single shop in the country had sold out that is who you have to thank.

At present her arms and voice appear in an Areal advert the one sending off a T shirt in an envelope.

She is in full barbie doll make up at all times, including in labour!

Latest posts

Back