Denim & Co TSV 30/08/22

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I hope the weather gets cold enough to wear it. The winters in the past few years have barely warranted a heavy winter coat !

I hope the weather gets cold enough to wear it. The winters in the past few years have barely warranted a heavy winter coat !
They have been here in the Borders. I wear my big coat from October to April and it's been hanging on the hook all summer just in case ☃️

I'll have a look at this as I want some new really warm sweatshirts/coatigans etc. I'm always cold because of a medical condition and I find winters miserable, however, I do have slankets, faux fur throws, electric blankets, hot water bottles and such things at the ready.

I like the idea of a hot soup mug :coffee: (no soup emoji)

CC

I could never see the point of slankets etc but perhaps I may be eating my words this winter if prices continue to rocket.

Seriously, even though we are lucky to be comfortable, we will have to think before we have the radiators jumping off the walls morning noon and night (yes I’m looking at you Mr L) and have to think before we just shove things in the trolley nilly willy.

I can’t imagine many will have a lot of excess income to throw at Q.

Oh goodness CC, I tend not to think of other regions where weather is concerned, but yes, I can understand your preparedness if you do experience severe weather conditions. Down here in the South (although is 35 miles north of London really the south?), when the rest of the country have hurricane winds we just get a bit of a breeze, when its 6' deep snow we get a sprinkling that's melted in a few hours, floods? nah nothing, even the recent thunderstorms by passed us - we had our first rain in months last Wednesday. So yes we do get a couple of weeks of 'cold' weather, but it doesn't warrant forking out up to £100 on a thick winter coat.

I agree LATI . They seem to be throwing a 'Lighting' Offer at us now - clearly another bright idea from the barnstorming team around the conference table. Well, the cost of the fashion plus p & p and price of returns is not going to bode well for them in the future. All the American brand fashion - Nina L, Kim and Marla W have all shot up in price recently, which I suppose a lot can be down to transport costs which is affecting everything due to the price of oil. I've been 'stocking' up for a while now with Sale stuff when I've seen it, like clothing because from here on in, what I've got now will have to last me for a long long time.

We will all, no doubt, be looking for ways to be warm and comfortable without increasing the risk of burning money to heat our homes.
Air fryers and microwaves insead of ovens, heating ourselves rather than our rooms.... And keeping an eye out for elderly and other vulnerable family or neighbours.
I'm already thinking of doing secondary glazing (I live in a conservation are so can't change my windows) and seeing if getting some indoor solar panels could cut down my central heating requirements.
My one saving grace is that I run hot and don't need the heating except at fixed times.

Last edited:
The problem is if you don't heat your homes in the often cold and wet climate is the disrepair caused by damp and mould. I live in a victorian house and the loft has some insulation and full double glazing. still cold as some rooms face east. I will continue to pray for long hot summers and winters.
We live in a small 2 bedroom flat and rarely turn on the heating. Partly because we have those ****** horrible storage heaters and it almost impossible to control the output.
Even last winter when it was very cold I think we only put one on twice.
If we're cold we wear a fleece hoodie.
We do however use dehumidifiers, one in the spare room for drying laundry and we have one in the hall which we use in the bathroom after showers etc.
They take any dampness out of the air and stop any condensation building on windows.

We live in a small 2 bedroom flat and rarely turn on the heating. Partly because we have those ****** horrible storage heaters and it almost impossible to control the output.
Even last winter when it was very cold I think we only put one on twice.
If we're cold we wear a fleece hoodie.
We do however use dehumidifiers, one in the spare room for drying laundry and we have one in the hall which we use in the bathroom after showers etc.
They take any dampness out of the air and stop any condensation building on windows.
and they give out a bit of warmth too

I live in an early 1950s upstairs flat owned by the council. They put in new PVC windows in April which I hope will help as the wind used to blow through the windows when it was windy and the rain came in too. New gas central heating in 3 years ago and for some unknown reason an electric blow heater fire in the living room which eats the electric so never used.

I don't do direct debit or prepaid meters, my electric and gas are different companies I have what are called easy safer cards. I just go to Pay Point and pay in each week or so and when the bill comes it is paid, and I am always in credit. In the old days, I used to have to stop paying as I was so much in credit. I know I am £500+ in credit with gas from the last bill in July and £200+ with electric for the same month. But, I admit having little panic moments thinking about the coming winter and trying to avoid the daily news now.

I know its going to be tough for us all come the time for heating, but I can't help but think the media are pushing the agenda of Project Fear. Interviewing people who cant decide to heat or eat at the moment - well who in their right mind has heating on when its 27 deg in the shade outside ??? so there will be cutbacks we'll all have to make - I'm already getting a store cupboard started as who knows what price food will be in 12 months time - but I'm also taking little notice of what the news channels are putting out because according to them most of the population will die or be dead come January.

I know its going to be tough for us all come the time for heating, but I can't help but think the media are pushing the agenda of Project Fear. Interviewing people who cant decide to heat or eat at the moment - well who in their right mind has heating on when its 27 deg in the shade outside ??? so there will be cutbacks we'll all have to make - I'm already getting a store cupboard started as who knows what price food will be in 12 months time - but I'm also taking little notice of what the news channels are putting out because according to them most of the population will die or be dead come January.
Same here bristles

I have metal frame windows in my flat. Single glazed and Icannot change them. As I'm in a conservation area, we are waiting for the council to approve a double glazed unit to repace the originals. It's been dragging on since before Covid and would make a big difference. I bought new lined curtains at the turn of the year. I may see if I can get a thermal lining for them and speak to a friendabout attaching a thermal lining.... I run 2 dehumidifiers every day to prevent condensation making it mouldy and foisty-smelling.
Brissles, I agree all this stuff about currently choosing to heat or eat defies logic, but it will be true soon enough. It puts me in mind of the woman interviewed by the media in in the middle of the street stating she was so scared of covid she never went out!

Latest posts

Back