Detailed analysis of my QVC spending

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Flamenco

Registered Shopper
I asked QVC recently for a print out so I could get a better grip on my easy pays (last 2 this month). The print out duly arrive and itemises my spending since the 8th Feb this year. Out of curiousity I decided to tot up how much I had bought, returned and even cancelled (particularly waitlist items with an added dose of buyers remorse) so here goes. Makes frightening reading as I could have had a holiday out of the amount I spent really.

Good purchased: £803.58, of which p&p is £89.47

Goods returned: £412.47 of which £28.60 is p&p

Goods cancelled: £379.27 of which £37.53 is p&p

So, I kept 50.3% of goods ordered, return 25.9% and cancelled 23.8%

12.5% of the value of items ordered is attributed to p&p, whereas it amounts to 7.4% for goods returned (and I would have been refunded as returned under the DSR but would still be out of pocket due to paying return postage costs).

My rate of returns excluding cancelled items (no loss to QVC as not shipped) is 34%, so well below the 50% which means I won't be getting The Letter yet!

This is probably a load of trivial information, but I find it quite interesting (and with some horror) to calculate exactly how much I've spent with QVC. I am slightly pleased with myself that I've cancelled a quarter of my orders when common sense and the cold light of day have finally prevailed. I do kick myself to think that £800 would have paid for a holiday, which is sorely wished for at the moment. If Mr Flamenco wasn't around, I'd tape this to the fridge as a salutary reminder to curb the spending. He'd go bonkers if he saw what I had actually spent with QVC as he really has no idea at all!!

Been there, done that, Flamenco and as I`ve said before it hit me hard when I moved houses, sorted through old Bank statements and totted up how much I`d spent with QVC and others. Have been " clean " for a year now and if I have to get off my butt and go shop for things instead of sitting in front of the telly or pc just ordering, then so be it. The p and p is dead money either for returns or simply to get the stuff in the first place and the whole thing was such a damned hassle half the time. It`s a big shock isn`t it and if you`re anything like I was, then half the stuff you didn`t need or even use. Join the club !

Yeah but think of all the parking fees you saved by not going on the DHS (dreaded high street)

Been there, done that, Flamenco and as I`ve said before it hit me hard when I moved houses, sorted through old Bank statements and totted up how much I`d spent with QVC and others. Have been " clean " for a year now and if I have to get off my butt and go shop for things instead of sitting in front of the telly or pc just ordering, then so be it. The p and p is dead money either for returns or simply to get the stuff in the first place and the whole thing was such a damned hassle half the time. It`s a big shock isn`t it and if you`re anything like I was, then half the stuff you didn`t need or even use. Join the club !

'Tis true! I'm ashamed at the amount of Laura Geller and Nails Inc I ordered. I don't use LG anymore (makes me look overdone) and have sworn off Nails inc. The only really useful item purchased was a slow cooker. The Cooks Essential curry pastes etc have been a good purchase and I bought them at a Last Clicks/ Clearance price. The rest I could have easily lived without.

Always free parking somewhere lol and if I do order anything online then usually I can find it with free p and p. It was a big eye opener seriously, could have had a holiday or one really serious piece of jewellery or rooms decorated or some other big luxury with a yearly spend at QVC. All those monthly/weekly buys didn`t seem too bad but added up over a year it came to a serious sum of money. It was a wakeup call I needed.

Yeah but think of all the parking fees you saved by not going on the DHS (dreaded high street)

I can park for £3.50 for the whole day where I live or pay the same for the Park 'n Ride, so the p&p spent on items purchased and kept amounts to 25 shopping days!!! I don't think I've every had 25 days spent purely shopping in town in the last year (but clearly spending money online instead!). Just goes to show what tosh the presenters talk when they carp on about the cost of parking. £3.50 is less than one lot of p&p at QVC these days.

Last edited:
I needed everything I bought.
I regret nothing because it was for me & I'm so worth it.
I'll return nothing nor will I sell it because it's all mine!
Mine I tell you! Mine!

See, no conflict :giggle:

I can park for £3.50 for the whole day where I live or pay the same for the Park 'n Ride, so the p&p spent on items purchased and kept amounts to 25 shopping days!!! I don't think I've every had 25 days spent purely shopping in town in the last year (but clearly spending money online instead!). Just goes to show what tosh the presenters talk when they carp on about the cost of parking. £3.50 is less than one lot of p&p at QVC these days.

How very quaint.
More of a cart track than a high street then :0)

We do have NCP car parks that charge a tenner for the day! Just no-one parks in them anymore!

There, but for the grace of God, go I.

It's a mistake to go and overspend on QVC. And remember that the lesson learned when you make a mistake is to help you recognise it when you make it again ;)

I am a bit shocked by how much some of you guys return to QVC. Am I the only one who keeps the vast majority of what I order?

I am a bit shocked by how much some of you guys return to QVC. Am I the only one who keeps the vast majority of what I order?

No, you're not. I very very seldom return anything I have bought! I don't generally buy clothing from QVC though, so that may account for part of the reason. Nearly all my returns over the years have been due to items being misdescribed (smaller than stated when measured etc.), or not lasting/performing as they should have done (crappy sheets where the elastic went after only a couple of months, that kind of thing.) Hence no loss to me on p&p either way, as I've always got it all back.
:nod:
(If their p&p charges were per order, I may be tempted into trying more things 'just to see' but as it stands, at one charge per order, I won't.)

I tend to return items ordered late on a Friday/Saturday night, ie, I've had far too much to drink and I order a lot of carp!

No you're not the only one.
I hardly return anything. Only if something is faulty usually.

I tend to return items ordered late on a Friday/Saturday night, ie, I've had far too much to drink and I order a lot of carp!

Ha ha! Love it!

Do you like fish then? (I know what you mean really.)

My name is Jude! And I'm a shopping bulimic! If it's wrong for me in any way it's going back!

Jude xx

No, you're not. I very very seldom return anything I have bought! I don't generally buy clothing from QVC though, so that may account for part of the reason. Nearly all my returns over the years have been due to items being misdescribed (smaller than stated when measured etc.), or not lasting/performing as they should have done (crappy sheets where the elastic went after only a couple of months, that kind of thing.) Hence no loss to me on p&p either way, as I've always got it all back.
:nod:
(If their p&p charges were per order, I may be tempted into trying more things 'just to see' but as it stands, at one charge per order, I won't.)

That's pretty much the same as me and I think you are right -- if we were ordering clothing (I have never ordered a single item of clothing), we would be returning a lot more no doubt. Like you, my returns have been faulty/wrong goods .... plus a couple of rings that didn't fit. Oh, I have had Birkis from QVC and had to return for size, but I wouldn't order footwear again, mainly because of not getting the original P&P back and having to pay to return. Actually, I did return a ring that I didn't like when I saw it once but otherwise my purchases are generally things I am pretty sure I will want to keep. And if there are items in a set I don't want, I gift them on or sell on ebay (usually for a profit, or at least about the same as I paid).

It's definitely the P&P charge that puts me off "spontaneous" buying or buying things because they might be all right, so I'm with you on the difference a single order charge would make.

I don't return much either. And my returns will be even less now as I've (pretty much lol) stopped ordering clothes. I had stopped ordering clothes but then I bought a top from Attitudes and a dress in the sale that I already have in another colour.

I know without looking that my purchases are mainly jewellery. I also order tried and tested skincare and makeup products.

I would like to believe that I buy things on QVC that I would buy anyway. But that would be lying to myself I fear. I have got it down to a level that suits my wallet though. For now.

I would like to believe that I buy things on QVC that I would buy anyway. But that would be lying to myself I fear. I have got it down to a level that suits my wallet though. For now.

That's pretty much my buying style .. and I think I might be lying to myself about what I need/want also!

Latest posts

Back