Do the Presenters do Social Media to Solely Boost Sales????

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Glittergirl

Registered Shopper
Been having a good old chit chat about this with my nearest and dearest recently. Mainly because certain presenters (you know who they are) constantly talk and even meet up with people on Facebook and other Social Media forums.

I understand it can be a good marketing tool and technology is big in this changing world but do you think they over use it in most cases solely to BOOST SALES?

My people certainly think this, due to a very ruthless sales business! In fact, they were very cynical about some of them and didn't have many considerate words which made me think even more, lololo?

Honestly looking for thoughts as at times I do think we live in a very fickle and sales driven society. Fortunately I have lovely friends whom I've known for years and don't need to seek out anymore online, hahaaa! :mysmilie_8:

I accept I am 'old school' & don't do any Facebooking, Twitter, Texting & the like.I suppose these days I am like a Mole who lives in a hole?I use email & the landline telephone! I get sick & tired of presenters always looking for Tweets, talking Blogs, & Facebook but as said I am in the minority.

Yeah I don't do Facebook either, I'm of the belief that if you've got anything to say, say it to the persons face, nicely of course :mysmilie_17: I heard Fibby Flint say she met her best friend on Facebook and to me that's sad, I know it's called "social media" but if you make it all you have in your life, it's very much "antisocial media"

I do get that it's good from a business point of view, a comment can go out thousands of people, but as a personal use, I'm just not convinced, but obviously that's just my opinion.

I think the presenters actually need social media to feed their egos. They love the attention and the people who hang onto their every word and deed. You only need to read some of the fawning comments to see how some people unrealistically follow a presenter and see them as friends rather than selly telly presenters. Many of the presenters share their most (what should normally be) private events and revel in the gushing from customers. They can`t seem to cope with negative comments though and if you put yourself out there, then you have to accept the good with the bad. Sadly anybody who utters a negative word is either banned from their facebook groups or labelled a nasty person or a troll.
They live in La La Land, online at least and if extra sales comes out of them sharing their mundane everyday lives, then that`s an added bonus in their eyes. They see themselves as some kind of celebrity and much as the National press is filled with the everyday antics of the Kardashians , then QVC facebook pages, presenter blogs, fb pages/groups and twitter accounts are much the same. Frankly I`d rather watch paint dry than follow any of them.

Do the Presenters do Social Media, like Facebook to Boost Sales Thoughts? Yes!

Solely? Not sure, some yes!

I'm new today to this Forum, but felt compelled to join when reading this particular thread. I was a member of a QVC closed group on Facebook and ended up leaving a couple of months after I joined for this very reason. It became apparent to me very early on that it was a cynical ploy by the admins to promote their blogs and associated products, as well as constantly reminding you of their very special friendships with certain QVC presenters. In turn, you were invited to sign up to their newsletters and FB pages, all the while the group masqueraded as a 'friendly' and 'positive' alternative to the public QVC pages on Facebook (which were constantly vilified for being so negative and critical).

I'm rather embarrassed to admit, I ended up spending a helluva lot more than I would have done normally on QVC products (wouldn't have considered myself a sucker before, sure am now) during the time I was a member as we were all posting about great deals and how wonderful products were etc etc. Anyone posting anything even slightly negative had their posts deleted and knuckles rapped - one person made a very fair point about how many of the people flogging their skincare ranges (as well as some of the models) were obviously botoxed up to the nines (no names mentioned) and how unfair it was to claim their skincare produced these results. This post was rapidly deleted to maintain that 'positivity', i.e. anything that would sucker us mugs into buying more products. At that point, I decided it was time to leave the group.

I still enjoy shopping at QVC, but I'm still paying off the easy pays I succumbed to whilst a member of that group, a rather sobering reminder!

I accept I am 'old school' & don't do any Facebooking, Twitter, Texting & the like.I suppose these days I am like a Mole who lives in a hole?I use email & the landline telephone! I get sick & tired of presenters always looking for Tweets, talking Blogs, & Facebook but as said I am in the minority.

I'm 'old school' as well then because I also don't do Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Skype or any of the other social platforms. I prefer to talk to people face to face or on the phone. I can understand why people use Skype or Facebook to keep in touch with friends and relatives who live too far away, but I'm lucky that I'm not in that position. I also haven't got the time to tell people how many beans I had for dinner etc., etc. and I'm not sure people would be interested in my every move anyway.

I am anti-iPad use when presenters are on air, as some of you probably know from previous posts, although they are useful if someone asks a question that the guest can answer. However, a lot of the presenters use their iPads to order goods while presenting a show or to promote their 'literary works' or to read out tweets etc from fawning 'fans.' Some, I'm sure, use their iPad to make out that they have hoards of fans and friends online etc, when in reality that is probably not the case at all. I suppose it makes them feel 'popular.'

I'm quite happy to move with the times as regards technology but, as far as social platforms are concerned, I prefer the personal touch rather than clicking a button to interact with people.

I think some of them do it to build their own brand. If they ever get ditched by QVC they'll have their own little pool of fans to sell some project of their own to. (Certainly Flinty and Pipa seem to work that way)

Yeah I don't do Facebook either, I'm of the belief that if you've got anything to say, say it to the persons face, nicely of course :mysmilie_17: I heard Fibby Flint say she met her best friend on Facebook and to me that's sad, I know it's called "social media" but if you make it all you have in your life, it's very much "antisocial media"

I do get that it's good from a business point of view, a comment can go out thousands of people, but as a personal use, I'm just not convinced, but obviously that's just my opinion.

Agree with you there! Each to their own and all that but is a best friend not someone you've known for years and have had many built up memories with! Maybe I'm too cynical in this world, Lolololo! Don't get it but who really cares :mysmilie_5:

I have noticed a few of them don't do Facebook. Which is interesting, perhaps shock horror, they actually have a life outside QVC.

Some don't do use Social Media at all. Some use it now and again and some are never off it, hahaa :mysmilie_13:

Can't say I'm not that surprised but it's rather sad! Watching from afar and do notice certain things! The word clique springs up a lot but at the same time if that's what makes them tic then good luck to them all! Still doesn't stop me from watching QVC :mysmilie_8:

I'm new today to this Forum, but felt compelled to join when reading this particular thread. I was a member of a QVC closed group on Facebook and ended up leaving a couple of months after I joined for this very reason. It became apparent to me very early on that it was a cynical ploy by the admins to promote their blogs and associated products, as well as constantly reminding you of their very special friendships with certain QVC presenters. In turn, you were invited to sign up to their newsletters and FB pages, all the while the group masqueraded as a 'friendly' and 'positive' alternative to the public QVC pages on Facebook (which were constantly vilified for being so negative and critical).

First of all I apologise for editing your quote which was for length of page reasons only and secondly welcome to our forum.

You will find that presenters and social media is a recurring gripe here and with very good reason but unlike Q and certain presenters we are allowed to disagree because we are a free thinking organisation and know that everything isn't black and white and happy clappy but only as long as you are part of their clique.

The very best part of this forum is the humour (many Tena moments) and no end of helpful information. Just ask a question and like a flash you will get more information than you ever imagine was available.

Anyway enjoy and let us know your interests, don't be shy now that you have taken the plunge

Been having a good old chit chat about this with my nearest and dearest recently. Mainly because certain presenters (you know who they are) constantly talk and even meet up with people on Facebook and other Social Media forums.

I understand it can be a good marketing tool and technology is big in this changing world but do you think they over use it in most cases solely to BOOST SALES?

My people certainly think this, due to a very ruthless sales business! In fact, they were very cynical about some of them and didn't have many considerate words which made me think even more, lololo?

Honestly looking for thoughts as at times I do think we live in a very fickle and sales driven society. Fortunately I have lovely friends whom I've known for years and don't need to seek out anymore online, hahaaa! :mysmilie_8:

I surely can't guess who you mean, I am almost certain you are not talking about the 'the gnome' or even less likely to be talking about JK or JR and even less likely to be talking about DF (female), but very likely to be talking about JF. Or have I got myself mixed up there! You decide!:mysmilie_17:

I like landlines - and writing letters, too! In fact tomorrow I'm going to WH Smith to buy some Basildon Bond as there is a particular letter I need to write to the current owner of the flat I'm buying. Only a letter will do.

I think QVC and the media generally like tweets at they are short and to the point. A tweet is easy to grab and quote.

I've noticed too that sometimes the presenter will say something like "Oh this is from Mary - she's one of our regulars on our ???? group" and I was daft enough to think they were really friends lol !! I'm fairly new to this forum myself (just a few weeks, although I've been a member on CT for a few years) and laugh out loud at some of the threads! But I so agree about social media taking over from "normal" communications. Like many people, my family is scattered all over and on the occasions I see them it doesnt matter what the topic of conversation is, they've seen it on f'bk/watched on telly/had a tweet from a twit etc, etc its soul destroying, there's nothing to talk about anymore - as said in an earlier post why can't they pick a phone up or pop on a bus to stay friends.

I don't use social media and only had to sign up for FB and twitter as part of a job search course I was 'forced' to go (I think that they hoped all us 'dole bludgers' would then go away use social media and get a job), two points irritated me from that (well three actually, the main one being my participation on the course, had I not gone however then Mr Cameron (as was then), would have very kindly got one of his 'public servants' to very kindly stop the vast amount of money that they give to me each fortnight!), so no I am not a 'twit' (in the electronic sense) and I don't use facebook. I can see though that if Q need to be ever-evolving that these are mediums that need to be used in order to evolve But I don't like the mentions of people on the various groups (the person who does the Join Clothing, does it a lot also, so her and the 'queen of Q social media', together is a match made in a fiery pit). I think though it is those who don't use it will be 'left-behind', personally I am happy to be so, I do not want to find out when my 'virtual friend' child had their first 'potty moment', or what someone is doing in 'micro detail', I use computers but only to service me! Apart from of course my postings on this and other forums

I surely can't guess who you mean, I am almost certain you are not talking about the 'the gnome' or even less likely to be talking about JK or JR and even less likely to be talking about DF (female), but very likely to be talking about JF. Or have I got myself mixed up there! You decide!:mysmilie_17:

LMAO! Maybe you will find the answer on Facebook :mysmilie_14: :mysmilie_13: :mysmilie_11:

I'm rather embarrassed to admit, I ended up spending a helluva lot more than I would have done normally on QVC products (wouldn't have considered myself a sucker before, sure am now) during the time I was a member as we were all posting about great deals and how wonderful products were etc etc. Anyone posting anything even slightly negative had their posts deleted and knuckles rapped - one person made a very fair point about how many of the people flogging their skincare ranges (as well as some of the models) were obviously botoxed up to the nines (no names mentioned) and how unfair it was to claim their skincare produced these results. This post was rapidly deleted to maintain that 'positivity', i.e. anything that would sucker us mugs into buying more products. At that point, I decided it was time to leave the group.

I still enjoy shopping at QVC, but I'm still paying off the easy pays I succumbed to whilst a member of that group, a rather sobering reminder!

Welcome Tarketta; an interesting read. I was put in mind of a religious cult at some of your comments, and I'm sure I'm not far wrong. Sadly being on the tele in whatever format always seems to have a catnip attraction to Joe Public. So to have dialogue with someone on the box and then be classed as their FRIEND ! wow ! just look at how the public react when they see someone 'off the tele ' in the street, its all manic smiles and the dreaded selfie must be indulged in. Unfortunately these poor souls don't realise they are the marketing tool to entice yet more fools into the web of retail sales; they certainly wont be invited round to lunch or get an invite to the wedding of an offspring.

Welcome Tarketta; an interesting read. I was put in mind of a religious cult at some of your comments, and I'm sure I'm not far wrong. Sadly being on the tele in whatever format always seems to have a catnip attraction to Joe Public. So to have dialogue with someone on the box and then be classed as their FRIEND ! wow ! just look at how the public react when they see someone 'off the tele ' in the street, its all manic smiles and the dreaded selfie must be indulged in. Unfortunately these poor souls don't realise they are the marketing tool to entice yet more fools into the web of retail sales; they certainly wont be invited round to lunch or get an invite to the wedding of an offspring.

Never been in awe of someone on the telly, ok maybe when I was 10 LOLOLO! Main point was using SM like FB to attract more sales. I can see it sure does and if all this pat on the back chummy wummy creeping in too. Sad people with nothing better to do I guess but each to their own. :mysmilie_17::mysmilie_12:

Latest posts

Back