do they WANT ideal world to morph into bid?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

cheeky chappie

Registered Shopper
i can only assume peter simon puts sales on the board. channel hopping last night in-between snooker frames, think it was 10pm, peter introduced janice (tech girl) to recorded applause and her walking on from off set, remind you of anything?

then hopped on today at 10am to see who was presenting the waterless wax stuff, good old peter with the guy with the tash, and peter is rattling through jokes about 'old maude' or something to the guy and then the guy looked quite shocked when peter said along lines of 'you'd recognise her, she always walks round with a mattress strapped to her back!'

appropriate for a 10am show? me thinks not.

i do hardly watch these days but when i hop on it scares me to see this once more level-headed channel morph into the bid mould. the only thing i can assume is the original approach was starting to fail in terms of sales so they're trying another approach?

It looks like it.They can't compete with Q in the bland boring style so are going for the opposite.Maybe they'll stop short of Bid but they have to differentiate themselves somehow.....maybe they'll hire Lenny........

Re Peter Simon, I'm a channel hopper too ,.....caught part of IW Christmas video. In it Mr Simon is creating chaos with a table laid full of dishes , doing the table cloth trick smashing the lot while another presenter stands by looking horrified, very tongue in cheek, so looks like IW and well aware of his past on Bid and v happy with it.

They are selling snake oil again, in the form of horrendously expensive ceramic radiators, why can't people see that this is giving nothing, apart from a flywheel effect with heat, is it really to much trouble to turn a central heating radiator off ?, Haley is giving the impression that those heaters work without the energy going in. the heat vs energy over time will be less heat than a regular heat source, unless it is a magic radiator that ignores the laws of thermodynamics ? I'll stick with the snake oil pitch :mysmilie_48: just my opinion

i reckon shopping channels days are ultimately numbered, and here's why. at present, quite a high % of folk viewing aren't of the generation where prices/deals are automatically checked online. yes i 'know' some older viewers will, however in the main it's younger generations that check online prices without even thinking about it, invariably finding a better deal somewhere e.g. amazon. as the older viewers emmm pop off to the great shopping emporium in the sky and are replaced with viewers that come from generations that check prices more ... surely these channels can't survive unless their prices are equally competitive?

Ideal World CLEARLY in my opinion, have very little regard for regular customers, in fact it appears they know they don't have regulars. On QVC you hear of people buying hundreds of items, and GemsTv people do multiple purchase, but how can that be with IW? Once you have a halogen oven, Karcher, Tower pan set, hideous ripoff radiator, nutribullet and a vibradisc, what is there left to buy? The new products are so few and years between that once you have watched for say 3 years and bought all you're going to, there is no reason to watch or buy anymore.

Always makes me laugh, on the Elizabeth Grant shows they go on about the serums being award winning.... yeah, the serums award, in a category with 1 entrant.

Its the same with the toys shows, same toys from the last 5 years at least, imagine you bought the bundle 5 years ago....... you're hardly going to buy another bundle, for one your kids/grandkids will be years older now. IW have no real push for keeping customers it seems, or getting repeat ones, and they always seem to treat the viewer like they are simpletons, something I hate!

It looks like it.They can't compete with Q in the bland boring style so are going for the opposite.Maybe they'll stop short of Bid but they have to differentiate themselves somehow.....maybe they'll hire Lenny........

Re Peter Simon, I'm a channel hopper too ,.....caught part of IW Christmas video. In it Mr Simon is creating chaos with a table laid full of dishes , doing the table cloth trick smashing the lot while another presenter stands by looking horrified, very tongue in cheek, so looks like IW and well aware of his past on Bid and v happy with it.

Q have such a diversity of products that IW can only dream about and could never compete there

I suppose they have to do something to mask their small range of products with a bit of comic presenting......and I say that loosely...........who wants a Bissell for Chrimbo?

Q have such a diversity of products that IW can only dream about and could never compete there

I suppose they have to do something to mask their small range of products with a bit of comic presenting......and I say that loosely...........who wants a Bissell for Chrimbo?

I have just asked my elderly mother whether she would like a Bissell for Christmas. Unfortunately her answer wasn't very festive, I think it was a no! On another note, are all these "presents" going to arrive before Christmas? Also, Peter Simon claimed some toy was the must have for children, I don't have children but I bet it isn't!

What disgusts me is the selling patter these presenters coming on clutching the front page of a newspaper who always says every winter we are going to have arctic conditions so you must spend over £600 on these heaters,this could easily frighten older people to part with there savings selling on fear is a disgrace.

I have just asked my elderly mother whether she would like a Bissell for Christmas. Unfortunately her answer wasn't very festive, I think it was a no! On another note, are all these "presents" going to arrive before Christmas? Also, Peter Simon claimed some toy was the must have for children, I don't have children but I bet it isn't!

I've just looked at what the top presents for children this year are and the lists are pretty much the same everywhere.........helicopters, gyrowotsits, magic pens and wall riders are.........

NOT ON ANY LIST

IW has turned into Fred carno's circus. With roll up roll up get ya larvelly halogen oven ea for a knock darn price and while year at it dya like me Christmas jumper and me sharty voice WHERE'SJANICE? Can't bare any of em. Just my free opinion though. No offence meant.

IW has turned into Fred carno's circus. With roll up roll up get ya larvelly halogen oven ea for a knock darn price and while year at it dya like me Christmas jumper and me sharty voice WHERE'SJANICE? Can't bare any of em. Just my free opinion though. No offence meant.

Amen to that sister! :mysmilie_59:

I noticed that the ''toy store'' show's logo has changed from one that looked suspiciously like the toy story logo, to one that looks suspiciously like the toys r us logo.

But there is nothing subliminal about it at all i'm sure.

I'm presuming they must be trying to grab some of the old Bid audience. Peter Simon seems to have become king of the channel and is pretty much getting away with anything sales wise. I flicked over and he was up to his old tricks, during a toy show he stated 'These toys are so popular...Hamle.. that posh shop in London that sell toys have all sold out...". Absolute nonsense.

The problem is they have such limited products that they have to result to these tactics. I fully expect them to gradually morp into Bid. Expect falling price products with Peter Simon soon...

Took me back to Bid days last night with Loen and toy man Richard. A helicopter in the sale was going for £29.99 and Loen said something along the lines of........

'£29.99??? We think the buyers have got the price wrong but we're carrying on anyway.....'

Ahhh the good old days are creeping back :mysmilie_19:

I think Bid as a concept was great, it was fast paced and fun. The problem was that, towards the end (last few years) they increasingly sold utter s**t. I mean real, complete super crap. Another constant complaint (justified or not) was that their method of pricing, to some people, was confusing - by splitting the cost of the purchase across the phone call, shipping and item cost, and then setting those prices in an unconventional way (i.e, the postage or phone call cost more than the product) didn't win them any fans. These problems did cause the presenters, on occasion, to push their luck with description of price, quality or service.

Ideal world have an opportunity to resurrect the ShopingTainment concept and watching Mr Simon in his PJ's with a Santa hat on, clutching a teddy and running around like a kid at Christmas is certainly doing it for me - and judging by the way they're selling out, other people too.

Latest posts

Back