Do we need a reminder?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

She is totally my worst presenter (surprised?)

In fact, she makes the rest of them seem, dare I say it tolerable.

Can't stand fakers/pretenders/delusions of self grandeur, & I'm not the best at keeping quiet about it (much to Mr B's dismay) - albeit in an unassuming manner. Viva my bullshit detector. Very rarely lets me down.
I have four in equal 1st place - ickle Claire & CHuntley for the twee factor & Ms Everton & Knuckles Kramer for the aggression factor. We had a number of girls like ickle Claire in every year group, they were known as 'The Plastics'.

I have four in equal 1st place - ickle Claire & CHuntley for the twee factor & Ms Everton & Knuckles Kramer for the aggression factor. We had a number of girls like ickle Claire in every year group, they were known as 'The Plastics'.

Mean Girls/Clueless........

Well CS can call her mum "mummy" of course but why do it on TV? I've never heard her say daddy so maybe mum has been the big parent in her life. My mum would call the sanatorium if I called her mummy :LOL:
I have, he died when she was quite young, possibly her early teens. I've also heard her say that she doesn't her children calling her 'mum'.

she doesn't her children calling her 'mum'.

Indeed. Illusions of grandeur . Eejit.
My mum didn't want to be called mum either, so my tactic was to call her mother or mama in a put-on posh accent. She suddenly found mum a much more acceptable transition from mummy. Dad had no such issue transitioning from daddy. Had to do the same with my mum's mum. Grandma only became gran after resorting to granny-ma-ma!

Our older daughter went to Cardiff uni & lived with five 'Valley Girls' who adopted her, by the end of her first term she had got a Welsh accent & started to call me mam, younger daughter thought name was great & also used it. We end up with a number of different names, I think I have seven.

I love hearing our two sons say mum and dad, to me and the husband they’re the most amazing names in the whole world, I love hearing them say it, joint first are the grandkiddies who call the husband “grandpops” and me “nanny” our hearts melt and go off like fireworks mixed with all our Christmases come at once every time these two little people say it ❤❤❤❤

I love hearing our two sons say mum and dad, to me and the husband they’re the most amazing names in the whole world, I love hearing them say it, joint first are the grandkiddies who call the husband “grandpops” and me “nanny” our hearts melt and go off like fireworks mixed with all our Christmases come at once every time these two little people say it ❤❤❤❤
Shopps, that's lovely. Guess what - my Mr T's also grandpops. I had a nanny, she was the most wonderful person & I knew that I'd never be as good so I'm granny + my first name except to the youngest who can't be bothered with saying granny!

Mr L parents were called by their Christian names. As he was the eldest of 7 I found it quite disconcerting to hear the youngest (primary school age) calling them by name. Whether this was their choice or not I don’t know.

When I was nursing if we always stayed with a patient.
And now my niece a staff nurse in ICU, they stay holding a patients hand.
Recently they have done their best to have next of kin present.
That happened to a friend of my husband who’s wife was present, whilst he passed away.
And anyone who's been to/visited/worked in a care home will know that it's impossible for the few carers that the budget allows to totally isolate so any disease in a care home quickly becomes rampant. Rooms are next to one another. Doors sometimes have to be left open so the carers can keep an eye on whoever's there because they can't speak for themselves or ask for help. Carers have to go from one room to the next to work intimately with patients who need urgent care with toileting, vomiting or whatever. If one patient needs help getting in or out of bed or with toileting, there's neither the time nor the staff to provide the protection each person needs and infections multiply. I'm honestly surprised the infection rate in care homes is what it is - and that's high enough.

Whats the general opinion on the app being trialed one IoW and the vaccine?

Mr L said he would be ok with vaccine but I feel that it has not had nearly long enough to be monitored for side effects many months/years down the line as we are all aware of drugs which have had dreadful consequences and those had been tested more rigorously .

I think anyone coming into the country should be forced to be able to be traced (not sure how you do this) as I feel this is where our biggest risk of second and third waves will come from.

Report was also saying that when all figures are in in due course we won’t necessarily have the highest death toll in Europe because the rest of the world are only counting hospital deaths at the moment.
plus we have a very high population in numbers and density. I know on one chart adjusted for this Belgium has the worst death toll in Europe and you wouldnt expect that at all, would you? Holland is also very high. Whereas places like Russia dont seem to figure which I dont believe for a minute. Also I believe there have been zero deaths in a place called... bear with me for spelling.... Turkmenistan. The place where the president said all we needed to do was play/watch ice hockey and down two large shots of vodka a day. Hmmm.

Re Crystal's points on infection spreading in care homes, let's not forget how some residents just wander off from their room. My mother was occasionally disturbed by a lady with Alzheimers who would wander into her room by mistake, or on a mission only she knew. You then need a staff member to get the person settled back in their room.

Last edited:
That`s so true Mazza. When my late husband`s Aunt was in a home she spent all day long wandering around with her hat and coat on and a handbag over her arm waiting for someone she said was coming to take her home. She did this constantly for 7 or 8 years and the only way staff could have kept her in one spot was to lock her in her room or tie her down, not that they would ever have done that. They `d manage to distract her for short spells such as meal times or group activities but she`d always go back to waiting to be collected.
She was no trouble to anybody and quite happy to wander around like that because by the day afterwards she`d have forgotten she`d done exactly the same the day before. If anybody came into the building whether it be staff or visitors she politely ask them had they come to take her home ?
To us it seemed a sad and tragic existence, to her, everyday was the day she was going home.

And anyone who's been to/visited/worked in a care home will know that it's impossible for the few carers that the budget allows to totally isolate so any disease in a care home quickly becomes rampant. Rooms are next to one another. Doors sometimes have to be left open so the carers can keep an eye on whoever's there because they can't speak for themselves or ask for help. Carers have to go from one room to the next to work intimately with patients who need urgent care with toileting, vomiting or whatever. If one patient needs help getting in or out of bed or with toileting, there's neither the time nor the staff to provide the protection each person needs and infections multiply. I'm honestly surprised the infection rate in care homes is what it is - and that's high enough.

My mum spent the last three weeks of her life in a care home, I know that not all of them are for older people but assume they make up the majority. She was only in her 60s but paralysed & having seizures because of a brain tumour which meant that she needed full time nursing. It was the most peaceful & caring place, the staff were incredibly kind & humorous & it was very clean; the first place they showed me was the laundry room which was small, so no piling up of washing, & just smelled of fresh air. We visited mum every day, as did her closest friends, but we were often the only ones there & the matron, a delightful lady called Bridget, said that the residents they had at that time were either widows or hadn't married & those who had children had mostly had outlived them. She called them her Wisps because that was all that remained of the people they were & said that she understood why people rarely went to see someone when their visits went unnoticed. The ladies were always dressed & sitting in the conservatory when we went because it was healthier than being prone in bed. It was the saddest time of my life but the care given to my beautiful mum, & us as a famiy, was wonderful. It also reafirmed what I've always felt that life is for living & a long one is not always a good one.

They’ve apparently now found an antibody test, but I can’t see them getting a vaccine sorted any time soon. They didn’t manage to find for SARS either.

Considering that the common cold is also in the coronavirus “family” and there’s no cure for that then I’d be amazed if they do find one for Covid-19.

They say that the best way to defeat this virus is social distancing, washing your hands, disinfecting work surfaces etc (which is true) but, more importantly, they need to get the promised number of tests done. Boris said they aim to roll out 200,000 tests a day by the end of this month. Considering they haven’t reached their first target of 100,000 for each day, it looks as though the new target is rather optimistic.

They’ve apparently now found an antibody test, but I can’t see them getting a vaccine sorted any time soon. They didn’t manage to find for SARS either.

Considering that the common cold is also in the coronavirus “family” and there’s no cure for that then I’d be amazed if they do find one for Covid-19.

They say that the best way to defeat this virus is social distancing, washing your hands, disinfecting work surfaces etc (which is true) but, more importantly, they need to get the promised number of tests done. Boris said they aim to roll out 200,000 tests a day by the end of this month. Considering they haven’t reached their first target of 100,000 for each day, it looks as though the new target is rather optimistic.
I must be quite thick because I don't understand how the test will make a difference. If I get tested & I've got antibodies does that mean I behave as pre-coronavirus? Will we be given badges to show our status - echoes of far worse times & human rights infringements? Do they hope to test every person in the UK?

I must be quite thick because I don't understand how the test will make a difference. If I get tested & I've got antibodies does that mean I behave as pre-coronavirus? Will we be given badges to show our status - echoes of far worse times & human rights infringements? Do they hope to test every person in the UK?
I don't see how they can bank on it helping if they don't establish whether getting C-19 is a one-time deal of if repeated infections are possible.it
I want to see good science and evidence, not a wing and a prayer, personally!
and discriminating against people based on their C-19 status goes against everything we stand for as a society.

I would say at present that the best role of the new test will be to give a truer picture of how many people have survived at least one infection by this horrible virus. I want them to establish whether asymptomatic spread has done the most damage in spreading C-19 and what symptoms have been widely experienced.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back