Does anyone else............

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
become overwhelmed with all the make up ? (skincare aside). I do.

All the cosmetic brands on Q have a confusing range of foundations, lipsticks with all variations of 'formulae' and a colour palette that would put Dulux to shame, blushes with enough brushes to paint a room, eyeshadows in cheap boxes, on and on it goes.

Even in the large chemists, there are so many make up stands, that even trying to find a bog standard eyebrow pencil, as I did the other day, was a military operation ! there were eyebrow brushes, rectractable points with buffer ends, khol pencils (not wanted), and all in colours I didn't want !

Where are the days when I could nip into Boots, find and buy a dark brown eye brown PENCIL, buy a light tan foundation, buy my dusky rose blusher and have a choice of a dozen lipsticks ? without having to bend down to my toes to see a depleted range on the bottom shelf, or need a magnifying glass to read the instructions of how to use the 'eyebrow enhancer'.

Or is it just me ??

No, it's not just you. I thought when I was younger I made a faff about putting make up on, I remember one friend commenting that the fact I had a tub of make up brushes was a step to far as she just slapped everything on with her finger, or the little sponge applicator that came with the eyeshadow. Nowadays, it's mind boggling...Primer, concealer ( that was for spots in my day) foundation, contouring with god knows how many shades, highlighters, finishing powders, and eyebrows, like I keep saying, they weren't even a thing in my day! Think the secret is to find a brand you like, and pick out the basics from it, otherwise I think you could go barmy with all the choice!

Life was a lot simpler when my Mum bought me my first 'make up' for my 16th birthday. Rimmel in its blue plastic packaging - just a lipstick, rouge, eyeshadow, eyebrow pencil (yeah !), and mascara - although it was the spit on the block type but hey ho !

Even in normal times I rarely wear makeup unless I`m going out somewhere but during lockdown I don`t think any of my makeup has seen daylight. I don`t use much makeup anyway, just a light brushing of Elemental Beauty mineral foundation, a dab of eye shadow, mascara and a lip gloss. That`s me good to go. I have sensitive skin and eyes so i stick to a few products and brands which I know won`t irritate me and none of them are QVC brands so they`ll never make a profit out of me in makeup sales.

Absolutely. Because I won't buy anything that's been tested on animals, contains palm oil or is totally encased in plastic I've reduced the number of companies I buy beauty & dental products down to 10; I found all of them online, I'm happy with everything I've bought & the service I receive is outstanding. My skin looks pretty good after 61 years on the planet & the make up I use is as good as any I've bought in the past.

The most recent thing I have seen is a setting spray for your makeup! After you have primed the face, put foundation on then added contouring you now have to set it in place with a setting spray. Sorry life is short and I can't be bothered🤯

Even in normal times I rarely wear makeup unless I`m going out somewhere but during lockdown I don`t think any of my makeup has seen daylight. I don`t use much makeup anyway, just a light brushing of Elemental Beauty mineral foundation, a dab of eye shadow, mascara and a lip gloss. That`s me good to go. I have sensitive skin and eyes so i stick to a few products and brands which I know won`t irritate me and none of them are QVC brands so they`ll never make a profit out of me in makeup sales.
Especially in these strange times, I now hardly wear makeup. Wear a mask at work, maybe a bit of eye liner! Have never bought much makeup from QVC. Always Kits and you end up giving half of them away! My local shops have all I need!

Being high risk I've worn a mask since the beginning of lockdown to go into shops, so haven't worn a scrap of lipstick.

(Amazing isn't it, all the contrasting opinions by Professors and the like in the very beginning as to whether it was beneficial to wear a mask or not - but I couldn't see it would do no harm, so I did, despite all those in Supermarket queues who didn't bother. Now its been decided its mandatory !!! Barmy ! )

I'm not confused because I don't buy any of it. A dispenser of Aveeno (cheap, recommended by a dermatologist for my skin) and that's me, sorted.

I am a self-confessed cosmetic junkie have been for years. I developed mild rosacea some years back so that cut back on skincare I can use. So skincare brands on QVC I tend to ignore now and have no urge to buy. Cannot be arsed sending back if my face breaks out or starting the prescription gel to get it to settle down again. I do like some Elemis but the newer ranges they are bringing out I do not go near as my skin will react to them. I got samples of some at Elemis counter so know. I have found I am okay with Emma Hardie, Liz Earle Superskin(not C&P) and quite a lot of Algenist.

Makeup, QVC is very old fashioned in the colours they tend to bring to us. Tarte, I do like Shape Tape but trying to find the right shade of foundation from the brands is useless. They used to do if your skin is like Julia Roberts actress etc then this shade now it's just pale, light etc. I prefer to get matched properly so if I find the right shade from a brand then I stick. Clarins Illusion I love it lightweight shade Beige, Armani Silk, By Terry medium peach. I have never had the urge to buy Laura Geller, Doll10 etc. Eyeshadows QVC do 10001 shades of neutrals but, what about WOC? Those shades look ashy on them. So the QVC bring colours that suit all is rubbish, there are a few women on their Facebook asking endlessly for a demo of colours on WOC? Anyway, I walk into Boots, House of Fraser etc and know the brands I like and others I have no interest in.

Of course now with COVID, there are no testers, well actually Dior does and then sanitize after each use.

Strangely I don't wear makeup every day never have. I wear if I feel like it and if going into town. I do not have to wear a mask as I have asthma since childhood, and did check with my doctor who does not do letters and told to go to hidden disabilities and get the thing for around your neck stating I do not have to wear one. So I do the keeping distance from people, washing hands and using hand sanitizer in every shop I go into.

The smug scientists can't decide if masks are beneficial & the politicians are clueless, if they'd wanted greater compliance they should have sold the idea that a mask protects the wearer, not others, because people aren't altruistic. The best thing about wearing a mask is that it stops people putting their hands to their mouths, something we're hard-wired to do but that transfers all sorts of nasties straight into us. Personally the worst, albeit minor, thing for me is that wearing lippy & a mask is messy so I'm bucking the trend & wearing more eye make up than usual; I follow Dominique Sachse & do her smoky eye look every day because life's so grim I'm using all my war paint.

Because there was such a lack of PPE masks in the early days, they didn't want the public buying them all up to deprive the NHS - which is logical, but the scientists/medics should have been on the same page, not giving mixed messages.

Latest posts

Back