Double Bereavement

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

mediastar

Registered Shopper
I've not been around much the past couple of months, it hasn't been a good time. First, I missed my brother's Golden Wedding Anniversary celebrations, there were rail strikes and a heatwave... I had hummed and hawed about it, because seeing them took me straight back to the complex relationship with the woman who gave birth to us (Mother was Greek and had such a preference for my Brother that my Father used to say "you have two children, you know!") there was little he could do he had to live with her...

I was saying to everyone, how many Golden Wedding celebrations have every member of the wedding party still alive and compos mentis, meaning the bride and groom, the best man and all three bridesmaids..

Sadly, my Sister-in Law's Auntie, who although in her 90s, had all her mental faculties, but was recovering from her second hip transplant, died suddenly on the Monday before the Anniversary lunch. Auntie D was a kind and wise person, who, became an Auntie to me and her loss was more complicated because she died on mother's birthday. Then a month ago, came a phone call from my devastated Sis-in-law, she went to find my Brother and he was unresponsive, he had died, according to the coroner there was no discernible cause of death and we only just have a date for his funeral and cremation. I had had to represent my Brother's family at Auntie D's funeral because S-i-L and her sons and their children all had covid. Then 3 days after my brother, a musician whom I admire died suddenly at only 51, life is feeling a bit crap....

I am wrung out and still numb.

However, I have managed to find a couple of ways to honour my brother's memory for ME, in the week approaching his funeral (I had booked this before my brother died) there is a concert locally by a band he first introduced me to who are on their 50th anniversary tour and in the New Year, at the Barbican there is a concert again by a musician that my brother introduced me to. I have my ticket and a room booked at the Easy Hotel nearby. My cousin lives in London, so I hope to meet up with her the next day. So, somethings that will help me I hope.

Oh Mediastar, how utterly dreadful! My deepest condolences to you for so much loss in so short a time.
It sounds like you have found a wonderful way to celebrate and honour your brother's life. I'm sure it will be bittersweet, but you will have some more special moments directly connected to your sibling.

I've not been around much the past couple of months, it hasn't been a good time. First, I missed my brother's Golden Wedding Anniversary celebrations, there were rail strikes and a heatwave... I had hummed and hawed about it, because seeing them took me straight back to the complex relationship with the woman who gave birth to us (Mother was Greek and had such a preference for my Brother that my Father used to say "you have two children, you know!") there was little he could do he had to live with her...

I was saying to everyone, how many Golden Wedding celebrations have every member of the wedding party still alive and compos mentis, meaning the bride and groom, the best man and all three bridesmaids..

Sadly, my Sister-in Law's Auntie, who although in her 90s, had all her mental faculties, but was recovering from her second hip transplant, died suddenly on the Monday before the Anniversary lunch. Auntie D was a kind and wise person, who, became an Auntie to me and her loss was more complicated because she died on mother's birthday. Then a month ago, came a phone call from my devastated Sis-in-law, she went to find my Brother and he was unresponsive, he had died, according to the coroner there was no discernible cause of death and we only just have a date for his funeral and cremation. I had had to represent my Brother's family at Auntie D's funeral because S-i-L and her sons and their children all had covid. Then 3 days after my brother, a musician whom I admire died suddenly at only 51, life is feeling a bit crap....

I am wrung out and still numb.

However, I have managed to find a couple of ways to honour my brother's memory for ME, in the week approaching his funeral (I had booked this before my brother died) there is a concert locally by a band he first introduced me to who are on their 50th anniversary tour and in the New Year, at the Barbican there is a concert again by a musician that my brother introduced me to. I have my ticket and a room booked at the Easy Hotel nearby. My cousin lives in London, so I hope to meet up with her the next day. So, somethings that will help me I hope.
I'm so sorry, take care x

So sorry you`ve had such a traumatic and terrible time lately and so sorry for your loss. You need to be kind to yourself now and take time to heal. My late sister passed away from cancer just over 3 years ago and we`d all watched her deteriorate but losing her was still a shock but an even bigger shock was when her seemingly fit and healthy husband was found dead in a carpark just 3 months later. He`d been out with friends, left saying goodnight and must have collapsed and died as he stepped outside. It seems there is actually a medical condition called "broken heart syndrome" which affects the heart and family/close friends who are grieving can be prone to it.
Treat yourself to things you enjoy and yes remember the people you have lost and grieve for them but take life easy.

A bit of an update... Thank you all for taking the time to respond and send your kind condolences. Sadly, I live near Oxford and I don't/can't drive, I had the worst migraine which lasted 6 days and during that time I also developed severe tendinitis in my hip. I couldn't even go down one floor to take my rubbish out the night before my brother's funeral, my lovely across the hall neighbours were kind enough to do that. By then I had decided I couldn't travel by public transport and after some encouragement by friends I did contact my gp. I've had an xray a couple of weeks ago and and appointment with a physio today (pleased to report mild arthritic changes only and possibly tendinitis/bursitis, im doing ok for my age and weight) I had a lovely lunch with a dear friend and ran out of spoons as I finished getting some shopping in waitrose. So booked but had to wait 30 mins for a cab. V tired now.

Latest posts

Back