e-bay selling

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

boffy

Registered Shopper
can anyone give me some tips on selling on e-bay. always bought but never sold.

thanks in advance

Okaaay .... deep breath...

Here are my suggestions - I don't sell very often, these days, but I do buy regularly.

Use lots of photos, and take accurate measurements of the items. I've passed on lots of listings because I've no idea what 'medium size' really is!
:dull:

Take a minute to decide how to photograph your item - a crumpled shirt chucked on to an unmade bed [eeww!] won't sell. When I sell, I photograph my items on a crisp white tablecloth with a small bunch of fresh flowers laid next to them, because it looks attractive and gives an instant size comparison. Oh - and check the background in the photos in case you've inadvertently included last night's takeaway pizza box or a mountain of ironing!

Present as much information as you can, and invite questions from potential bidders. Avoid woolly descriptions - a 'leather-like, Gucci-style' handbag isn't leather. Or Gucci. And will earn you a rap over the knuckles because using posh brand names to describe something else is not allowed!
Don't add that line that goes something like 'check out my other items for Prada, Stella McCartney, Cartier, Mont Blanc, Hermes, Tiffany ...' unless you're actually selling them. eBay's finally clamped down on this as it's keyword spamming, trying to encourage more people to view an item on a false promise.

If you can only post on Tuesdays, or you won't accept returns, or you'll only accept bids from UK buyers, say so in the listing.
You'll still get people telling you to only post on a Thursday at noon, when there's an 'r' in the month, and the moon's in Scorpio, so they'll be at home to take the parcel, but you can forestall the idiots a bit.

To get the best price for your items, time your listing so it'll finish on Sunday evening when lots of people are online.

Pack your items securely in clean wrapping, so they don't get damaged by butter-fingered postmen in football boots. Including a short personal note thanking the buyer is a nice touch.

Post promptly, using signed-for delivery, because there are people out there who'll try it on and claim they've never received their parcel.

Keep the lines of communication open with your buyers. Don't pester for feedback. [This bugs the hell out of me!]

Oh - and there's a message board and forums in the 'Community' section where you can get lots of help and advice, well, as long as you ignore the trolls, that is. :sad:
It's worth casting an eye over any threads naming and shaming problem buyers and adding them to your 'blocked bidders' list, so they can't wreak havoc.

Phew. Good luck! :up:

Last edited:
So glad to see you take decent photos. I do this too but my biggest ebay bugbear is one, very bad photograph!! I mean, put some effort in! You don't have to be David Bailey but at least make sure it's well lit and in focus :banghead: lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Weigh your parcel and check the new postal rates on royalmail.com; never guess. For example a 12ml nail polish in a jiffy envelope will cost £3.15 to post 2nd class recorded delivery because it's a small packet (ie too fat to be classed as a large letter which is far cheaper). So if you are starting an auction low, don't offer free postage because if you're item sells for 99p you'll be out of pocket once you've covered ebay, paypal and shipping fees.

Look for similar items currently selling and maybe watch them in My Ebay to see how they sell, or you can select "completed listings" in you search options to see how similar items have sold.

In my experience (8 years and 4000+ 100% feedback) bundles of items sold as auctions don't necessarily fetch higher prices than single items but it's possible to shift a bundle on a buy it now if it contains a highly sought after item and if you mention this item in your title. You will get lots of emails asking for just that item and offering less£ but just politely decline - this goes for all offers to buy before an auction ends. As a new seller you'll attract buyers who will try to bamboozle you with very low offers and scammers claiming the item is not as described. Always use your own photo, taking a photo off the internet is lazy and if you photograph your item well you have a better defence against "not as described" claims.

Add a condition that you will accept returns if the item doesn't suit but that the buyer is liable for postage in both directions and that the item must be returned by recorded delivery. This will deter scammers who claim to be unhappy with their purchase and expect you'll offer a refund without them having to return the item (trust me this is v common). Request the return of "broken in transit" items or suggest they send photos of the broken item - if they're trying it on you may not hear from them again.

Keep enough money in your paypal account to action a refund in genuine cases quickly. If you transfer all your money out to your bank account these refunds may take ages to clear (depending on your paypal status) which pisses off the buyer who has a genuine complaint. If you have a duplicate to send offer this before offering a refund.

The Sunday night finish is good but lots of sellers do this so your item may get lost in lots of similar items, the same happens after free listing days; there's lots more items listed these days which finish 3,5,7 or 10 days later. Thursday night finishes also seem to work, or time item to finish just after QVC shows featuring that range, but check the schedule so your listing doesn't end during a specific show cos your buyers will be watching QVC.

Jude xx

PS don't let me put you off but don't expect to make a fortune then what you do make is a bonus

I don't sell much - it's all MINE! - but I do buy.
I've got a long list of things that tick me off, but I'll confine it to 3:

my biggest bug-bear is the lack of sizes/ measurements or at the very least something in the photograph that shows the scale;
my second bug-bear is photographs. I think I've seen too many handbags thrown down on a wooden floor looking like road kill;
finally, how the ad is phrased - "Black women's bag for sale" (sic) comes to mind.

I don't sell much - it's all MINE! - but I do buy.
I've got a long list of things that tick me off, but I'll confine it to 3:

my biggest bug-bear is the lack of sizes/ measurements or at the very least something in the photograph that shows the scale;
my second bug-bear is photographs. I think I've seen too many handbags thrown down on a wooden floor looking like road kill;
finally, how the ad is phrased - "Black women's bag for sale" (sic) comes to mind.

Ha ha! This really made me laugh. All so true, particularly the point about lack of sizes and measurements.

By the way, did you see the listing I copied over the other day? Someone had listed a men's aftershave called 'Hidden Code' as 'Hidden Cod'.

With that in mind, write your description, spill chuck it and then read it through aloud so you know it makes sense.

PS I have another bugbear - take any old mass-marketed tat then describe it as 'rare'. Extra points if you can get the words 'sort after' [sic] in there too.

i have to admit i am now petrified by e-bay now but everything said makes sense. i bought a leather sofa from a seller who failed to photograph huge rips and holes in it. after i had paid £80 to have it delivered and returned. she threatened me with everything she could. it got nasty. i am wonderig if i have made the right decision as the sellers have a lot stacked against them....oh woe is me!

i have to admit i am now petrified by e-bay now but everything said makes sense. i bought a leather sofa from a seller who failed to photograph huge rips and holes in it. after i had paid £80 to have it delivered and returned. she threatened me with everything she could. it got nasty. i am wonderig if i have made the right decision as the sellers have a lot stacked against them....oh woe is me!

Oh, yuck. What an awful experience.

I'd suggest starting small until you get the selling knack. I started with clearing out old paperbacks which only sold for tiny amounts, but at least I could dip my toe in before I parted with anything more valuable.

I quite enjoyed it, and I'd do it again if only they hadn't closed every flamin' post office for miles around. I just sold bits and pieces from around the house that didn't get used any more, and put the money towards a holiday.

One more suggestion - many eBay sellers have two IDs, one for selling, and one for buying. That way, no one can see that you're selling a previous eBay purchase for more than you originally paid. [Ha!] :happy:

Last edited:
I'm always very (too?) honest about things such as the state of packaging (sticky remains of a label, scratches, dents etc) in the listing to pre-empt any after-sales complaints.

Latest posts

Back