E-Mail: Is my style in a rut!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It’s not just Q.

When Mr L was working and had to wear a suit every day he often went into the changing rooms in Marks to try on clothes whilst I sat outside watching couples where the men were trying on jackets. Every single one of them was at least 1 size too small, could barely button it no matter how slim or heavy they were and both man and wife was quite happy with this choice. Same with trousers, there were either half mast or tripping them . Even back when Marks did alterations but they were all happy with these lengths.

I admit for the last 18 months my fashion has been in a rut, either black jeans, black shoes and uniform top for work or blue jeans, black trainers and assorted tee shirts/jumpers for about the house/walking the dog because for the past 18 months that's all I've done!

I admit for the last 18 months my fashion has been in a rut, either black jeans, black shoes and uniform top for work or blue jeans, black trainers and assorted tee shirts/jumpers for about the house/walking the dog because for the past 18 months that's all I've done!
The last 18 months don't count we were not allowed to go anywhere, see anyone or have hair or beauty appointments; even when the lock ups* ended it was too much faff to buy clothes in shops. Ergo you are not in a rut you have dressed accordingly as dictated by events.
* I feel this is a more appropriate word because I felt locked up.

Last edited:
Sizing is always an issue even with a good high street shop like M&S. But its easily remedied with a free returns system and locally dropping off in a local store. They are starting to sell more high end items from Jager and Phase eight even Hobbs. Plus if you have a sparks card they offer good discounts and incentive.
I live 'off the map' and I wish I had access to these shops. I can buy from QVC Italy, but the quality is lacking. I can also order from M&S Italy and I buy their underwear. Now that Britain is out of the EU, anything I buy online from Britain is subject to tax when it is delivered by the post (person) at my front door. Italian women's clothing is either very cheap or very expensive ... nothing much in the middle.

I think there's a big difference between "fitting" and "being able to get into it". When something fits you, it looks rightis and feels comfortable. Squeezing oneself into a smaller size and looking and feeling like a badly made sausage doesn't count as far as I'm concerned, neither does not being able to fasten something - Yes, we do often walk around with our coats and jackets undone, but we do need to be able to fasten them comfortably when necessary. It annoys me when these buggers try and persuade us that this doesn't matter, and like you say, those who do follow this dodgy advice will probably hang onto something they've regretted buying, because it's less hassle/cheaper to bung it in the back of the wardrobe and promise to slim down into it than it is to return it - and they bliddy know that! It's so unprofessional. "Tailoring" is another word they like to bandy around quite a lot, which is not a term that should be used to describe mass produced polyester tat from the far east - It also conjures up an image of bespoke items, made to measure and that every last stitch should sit in the right place, the fit is of pinpoint accuracy. To say "The tailoring that has gone into this garment is incredible, but don't worry if your size is no longer available, go up or down a size" is frankly ridiculous!
How is this possible Gok? It isn't - If this jacket fits everybody, then why make it in different sizes?!
Alison looked nice in Gok's black jacket, but she wears practically everything well. However, it was puckering on the hem due to faulty 'tailoring'. 'Tailoring', my elbow ! Gok, himself, looked good in his long black coat and black trousers. If he copied the jacket, I think it would sell well on QVC, because it was long and loose fitting. A very 'arty' look.

Alison looked nice in Gok's black jacket, but she wears practically everything well. However, it was puckering on the hem due to faulty 'tailoring'. 'Tailoring', my elbow ! Gok, himself, looked good in his long black coat and black trousers. If he copied the jacket, I think it would sell well on QVC, because it was long and loose fitting. A very 'arty' look.
I've just had a look at the presentation and if you can see past all the bs that comes out of Gok's mouth, it's quite a nice garment. Loved the way that he said he'd copied the design of another jacket that he used to have and in the same breath implied that he'd designed it himself. It does actually fit the bill of being something that can be dressed up or dressed down, it's transitional and would bridge that gap between autumn and winter, and the shape of the neckline, the length and the cut of garment does appear to be slimming. The problem for me is it's way to expensive for what it is even at the reduced price - I'd never spend over £70 on a lightweight polyester jacket, let alone nearly £90! Worth £40 at a push!

Might keep an eye out on Ebay for Gok's blazer 'cause there's no way I'm paying that sort of money for it. I also liked that it seemed like the sort of thing you could wear outdoors and indoors and would elevate the look of a simple jeans and t shirt combo...God I'm starting to sound like one of them lol!

I live 'off the map' and I wish I had access to these shops. I can buy from QVC Italy, but the quality is lacking. I can also order from M&S Italy and I buy their underwear. Now that Britain is out of the EU, anything I buy online from Britain is subject to tax when it is delivered by the post (person) at my front door. Italian women's clothing is either very cheap or very expensive ... nothing much in the middle.

Huge sympathies Griz ! sounds like there's a gap in the 'market' here. If we were all 'friends' I wonder if it would work where we ordered 'stuff' here, say on QVC for you, and then sent it as a gift onwards to you. Whether you would still pay gift tax I couldn't say.

Its the same over here. I have ordered from an online German fashion store in the past, and now they want around £19 NINETEEN POUNDS delivery PER ITEM !! Didn't realise until I went to check out, then l saw and cancelled.

That arty look more than likely cost "Arty" money lol!

Huge sympathies Griz ! sounds like there's a gap in the 'market' here. If we were all 'friends' I wonder if it would work where we ordered 'stuff' here, say on QVC for you, and then sent it as a gift onwards to you. Whether you would still pay gift tax I couldn't say.

Its the same over here. I have ordered from an online German fashion store in the past, and now they want around £19 NINETEEN POUNDS delivery PER ITEM !! Didn't realise until I went to check out, then l saw and cancelled.
Exorbitant. I doubt if this German store will get much British business.

After reading the Helene Berman thread last week I went on eBay & found the most gorgeous jacket, it was a bargain with free p&p. It arrived this morning; wrapped in tissue, newly cleaned & it whispers quality.

After reading the Helene Berman thread last week I went on eBay & found the most gorgeous jacket, it was a bargain with free p&p. It arrived this morning; wrapped in tissue, newly cleaned & it whispers quality.
Wore my HB Ebay jacket today and was complimented twice...ok, one compliment was from somebody I knew that I bumped into in town, but the other was from a very trendy young assistant in the Kiko make up store I went in - It made my day good and proper!
Googled a description of Gok's jacket and got a few hits but none were quite right, but all tons cheaper. Ambrose Wilson/JD Williams had one I'd have gone for, the only difference is it had small slit pockets, but it didn't spoil the line of the jacket. Unfortunately it was black marl as opposed to true black, so it looked more of a charcoal grey and wasn't that keen. I'll keep searching!

Latest posts

Back