Embellishments

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm absolutely convinced I will love it! Just got to lose some weight as I hear the food is rather goodšŸ˜‹...
Here's a 'tip' that I was told on my first ever cruise by a regular cruiser.

I don't know which cruise line you are going with, but don't be fooled in having the 'tips' included in your onboard account. It can run into quite a lot of money as its calculated on a daily basis. So, on the first full day go to the Pursers Office and say you will be sorting out your own tips, and then they should deduct their set amount from your bill. I give those who have given me good service amounts I want to give, not those that are dictated to me by the cruise line.

Here's a 'tip' that I was told on my first ever cruise by a regular cruiser.

I don't know which cruise line you are going with, but don't be fooled in having the 'tips' included in your onboard account. It can run into quite a lot of money as its calculated on a daily basis. So, on the first full day go to the Pursers Office and say you will be sorting out your own tips, and then they should deduct their set amount from your bill. I give those who have given me good service amounts I want to give, not those that are dictated to me by the cruise line.
It's a Marella cruise with TUI and they say that tips are included in the cost, but if I travel with another cruise company I will take your advice. There's so much to think about and I appreciate the advice!

I would still double check when you get on board. Just ask at the Pursers if you are already charged for tipping, just to make sure, because although you might be told its included - it might be 'included' in other ways. So no harm in asking.

Also some cruise lines do soft drinks packages. These can work out cheaper than buying individual drinks everyday - depending on how much you consume. I'm not a great alcohol drinker, so I always get it, because there are drinks at lunch or dinner, or in the bar, then the mixers if you do have a gin or two. So it can be beneficial.

Christmas jumpers can be fun. I currently have 2 which I enjoy wearing at the right time if the year.
I have a couple of patterned tops with a bead here and a sequin there... but they aren't what I'd call bling-tastic.
If you are single, not going on holiday alone would be ridiculous. Sometimes couples and families can be quite silly being surprised that singles can function perfectly well without familial appendages!
Yes, it's more expensive sometimes, but waiting until you are coupled up or for fellow single friends who want to/are able to go on holiday could be a frustratingly long wait. Better to suit yourself and have the experiences you choose when you fancy.
I have done solo coach holidays and the only issue is travel sickness if I sit too far back. I've done short breaks to learn to do dance or exercise. The biggest hazard as a single woman is the chancers who put their wedding ring back on on the flight home, having worked through hitting on all the women on the holiday! I am sure it must happen the other way around too.
I've not yet done a cruise but want to. I just need to do the homework on where I'd like to visit.

Christmas jumpers can be fun. I currently have 2 which I enjoy wearing at the right time if the year.
I have a couple of patterned tops with a bead here and a sequin there... but they aren't what I'd call bling-tastic.
If you are single, not going on holiday alone would be ridiculous. Sometimes couples and families can be quite silly being surprised that singles can function perfectly well without familial appendages!
Yes, it's more expensive sometimes, but waiting until you are coupled up or for fellow single friends who want to/are able to go on holiday could be a frustratingly long wait. Better to suit yourself and have the experiences you choose when you fancy.
I have done solo coach holidays and the only issue is travel sickness if I sit too far back. I've done short breaks to learn to do dance or exercise. The biggest hazard as a single woman is the chancers who put their wedding ring back on on the flight home, having worked through hitting on all the women on the holiday! I am sure it must happen the other way around too.
I've not yet done a cruise but want to. I just need to do the homework on where I'd like to visit.
I totally agree. I was at the Formula One Grand Prix at the weekend, on an organised coach trip. šŸŽ I was on my own which didnā€™t bother me as I usually go away on my own. What annoyed me were the comments about it being unusual for a woman on her own being interested in motor racing. I didnā€™t know how to respond !

There were several elderly couple on the trip and it never occurred to me to say I was surprised that people of their age were interested in motor racing. Ditto with the women who werenā€™t at all interested but who were there just to keep their husbands company.

Iā€™m not a massive fan of F1 - I watch the races and take notice of the winners tables over the season but Iā€™m not a ā€˜geekā€™. Itā€™s just something I wanted to experience and Iā€™m glad I did - thoroughly enjoy it. šŸŽ

My next ā€˜experienceā€™ is a short cruise to Iceland in March to hopefully see the Northern Lights.

We stayed in a hotel in Jamaica and we decided it was just a knocking shop as my late Mother would say. There were a number of single females staying there and they ranged from their 20`s to 60`s plus. We were fascinated watching the Jamaican male staff home in for the kill. These guys would be suited and booted when off duty, mainly at night and they approach the ladies, dance with them, get them to buy drinks and by the end of the evening the lady plus her new friend would have disappeared.
The day after you`d see the Jamaican Romeo hanging around his new conquest, fussing over her and on his day off they`d head out of the hotel and into the nearby town. We were there for a fortnight and saw several tearful women being kissed goodbye as they boarded their coach for the airport and then a short while later a new coach would arrive and the whole thing would begin again. The hotel must have been aware what was going on and just turned a blind eye to it.
I`m going back about 9 or 10 years and I hated Jamaica. We had money stolen from our accommodation which was a circular kind of hut, Mr V had a guy on a boat pull up at the side of him whilst he was swimming in the sea and offer him drugs. we didn`t feel safe when we went into Ocho Rios and were pestered non stop and one guy became quite aggressive when we wouldn`t give him money and the security staff at the airport were taking things out of hand luggage and saying it was confiscated or not allowed. One woman tried to take Mr V`s duty free off him, he`d bought some perfume for his daughter and he`d to kick up a right fuss with her. They were literally just robbing folk.
Awful awful place and I`ll never return. I know I shouldn`t tar all of Jamaica with my experience in just one small part of it but it was the people who spoiled it for me. As one guy told us, they are poor and they think visitors are rich so they home in on them.

I feel the same V. I "did" the West Indies a few years ago, and its amazing how the series Death in Paradise carefully edit out the state of the roads, deep open drains, and ramshackle shops which are the reality. The women would be trying to make a living selling their wares to cruise day trippers, while the men were propping up the nearest bar. Glad I experienced it, but not somewhere I would want to return to. Japan on the other hand..................... (somewhere I could live ! )

I totally agree. I was at the Formula One Grand Prix at the weekend, on an organised coach trip. šŸŽ I was on my own which didnā€™t bother me as I usually go away on my own. What annoyed me were the comments about it being unusual for a woman on her own being interested in motor racing. I didnā€™t know how to respond !

There were several elderly couple on the trip and it never occurred to me to say I was surprised that people of their age were interested in motor racing. Ditto with the women who werenā€™t at all interested but who were there just to keep their husbands company.

Iā€™m not a massive fan of F1 - I watch the races and take notice of the winners tables over the season but Iā€™m not a ā€˜geekā€™. Itā€™s just something I wanted to experience and Iā€™m glad I did - thoroughly enjoy it. šŸŽ

My next ā€˜experienceā€™ is a short cruise to Iceland in March to hopefully see the Northern Lights.
Iā€™m very jealous love Formula 1 never miss a race watching practice nowšŸ˜Š
I certainly would never make a comment about a woman on her own wherever it was.šŸ˜Š

Iā€™ve been to the British Grand Prix at Silverstone twice, but only because the OH was given entry tickets by Renault. Donā€™t ask me why we got given those though. šŸ¤”

We did enjoy it because, as well as watching the races, we both got some excellent photos as thatā€™s one of our hobbies. His were better than mine. šŸ˜‰ The atmosphere was brilliant and the sound of the cars, as they went past, was phenomenal.

Iā€™ve been to the British Grand Prix at Silverstone twice, but only because the OH was given entry tickets by Renault. Donā€™t ask me why we got given those though. šŸ¤”

We did enjoy it because, as well as watching the races, we both got some excellent photos as thatā€™s one of our hobbies. His were better than mine. šŸ˜‰ The atmosphere was brilliant and the sound of the cars, as they went past, was phenomenal.
Oh thatā€™s fantastic,I went to Silverstone many years ago and it took us 4 hours to get out of the car park but it was an incredible experience šŸ˜Š

I would still double check when you get on board. Just ask at the Pursers if you are already charged for tipping, just to make sure, because although you might be told its included - it might be 'included' in other ways. So no harm in asking.

Also some cruise lines do soft drinks packages. These can work out cheaper than buying individual drinks everyday - depending on how much you consume. I'm not a great alcohol drinker, so I always get it, because there are drinks at lunch or dinner, or in the bar, then the mixers if you do have a gin or two. So it can be beneficial.
Thanks, I'll do that just in case, can't be too careful where money is concerned. As for drinks, I've paid for the drinks package. It is Ā£11 per day and covers premium drinks, soft drinks and premium coffee. You can get unbranded alcohol for free but this sounded a good deal for me. I'm not a big drinker (except on holidayšŸ¤£) but I might as well get the good stuff (and decent cocktails!).

As for the price of being a solo traveller, I just have accept it and save a bit longer. I've got friends and family who all have husbands snd children and aren't often free to travel. I used to go away with my elderly mum who died 5 years ago but we never went further than Spain. I'd never been abroad on my own so I got a hotel recommendation from family and booked it. That was 2020 but Covid cancelled it. Rebooked for 2021 and had a fantastic time in Tenerife, all inclusive. I thought I would feel self conscious but I was fine. I now have so much confidence, and want to get out of my comfort zone. And if I meet any sleezy married men I shall tell them I've just been released from prison for comitting GBH on my married loveršŸ¤£.

We stayed in a hotel in Jamaica and we decided it was just a knocking shop as my late Mother would say. There were a number of single females staying there and they ranged from their 20`s to 60`s plus. We were fascinated watching the Jamaican male staff home in for the kill. These guys would be suited and booted when off duty, mainly at night and they approach the ladies, dance with them, get them to buy drinks and by the end of the evening the lady plus her new friend would have disappeared.
The day after you`d see the Jamaican Romeo hanging around his new conquest, fussing over her and on his day off they`d head out of the hotel and into the nearby town. We were there for a fortnight and saw several tearful women being kissed goodbye as they boarded their coach for the airport and then a short while later a new coach would arrive and the whole thing would begin again. The hotel must have been aware what was going on and just turned a blind eye to it.
I`m going back about 9 or 10 years and I hated Jamaica. We had money stolen from our accommodation which was a circular kind of hut, Mr V had a guy on a boat pull up at the side of him whilst he was swimming in the sea and offer him drugs. we didn`t feel safe when we went into Ocho Rios and were pestered non stop and one guy became quite aggressive when we wouldn`t give him money and the security staff at the airport were taking things out of hand luggage and saying it was confiscated or not allowed. One woman tried to take Mr V`s duty free off him, he`d bought some perfume for his daughter and he`d to kick up a right fuss with her. They were literally just robbing folk.
Awful awful place and I`ll never return. I know I shouldn`t tar all of Jamaica with my experience in just one small part of it but it was the people who spoiled it for me. As one guy told us, they are poor and they think visitors are rich so they home in on them.
I have to admit Jamaica is not on my list of places to go. I was laughing so much at your description of the male staff and the single ladies. The romeos wouldn't get much from me, I know they're only after one thing (or two things if you include my loose changešŸ¤£).

My widowed sister occasionally went on holiday with unattached female friends but found that trying to get somewhere they both wanted to spend the money on meant too many compromises . Once her cheapstake friend went ahead and booked them the smallest available cabin luggage only flight to join a 2 week cruise - that was the final straw for her

My widowed sister occasionally went on holiday with unattached female friends but found that trying to get somewhere they both wanted to spend the money on meant too many compromises . Once her cheapstake friend went ahead and booked them the smallest available cabin luggage only flight to join a 2 week cruise - that was the final straw for her
That's a good point. My problem is that when I'm with other people we always end up doing what they want to do, where they want to eat etc. And cabin only luggage for a 2 week cruisešŸ˜³, even for a weekend trip my small case is pretty fullšŸ¤”

Latest posts

Back