Embellishments

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm a 'cruiser' and have stuck to one shipping line - Cunard. 'Dressing up' for evening dinner is part of the experience, and l've found that generally its very much understated. Lots and lots of black with very sparkly jewellery, yes there are sequins, again mostly black, however there are usually a lot of Americans so the evening wear is expensive and not prone to market stall embellishments. Younger ladies with legs up to their armpits might wear short dresses but are clearly 'designer' and are a million miles away from Quaker Factory 😂
Strangely enough in the early days - about 17 years ago I was on the QE2 and one of the onboard shops were stocking Frank Usher !!! - bit more upmarket than what our Juney offers though.

I can't comment on the dress code for other shipping lines which are more family orientated, some I understand have an 'anything goes' policy, but I prefer a mostly child free environment.
I’m a P&O cruiser myself and have seen some amazing evening gowns. But it’s up to you, how glam you go. Personally I like understated clothing with a nice piece of jewellery, and I’d die before I wore a Christmas jumper…

I would need to go with someone who is 'deaf', as I've been told I snore like a drain, so would hate to inflict myself on some poor soul and ruin their holiday.
Mr L is desperate. I have to wear earplugs every night. If I get off to sleep.wearing them it’s usually not too bad but the past few weeks I go to sleep about 1.30 and suddenly wake at 3.05am (same time within 10 mins) and just can’t get over again with the snoring next to me.

That's a good point. My problem is that when I'm with other people we always end up doing what they want to do, where they want to eat etc. And cabin only luggage for a 2 week cruise😳, even for a weekend trip my small case is pretty full🤔

Lol ! Well, I can take on Joan Collins in the luggage stakes, 1 large, 1 small (for incidentals ie beauty and wash stuff, shoes) and a large carry bag for other 'stuff'. 🤭

Has anyone done any cruises around the British isles and/or the Scottish islands? I’m sort of interested but they arent cheap and perhaps mistakenly I sort of imagine the accommodation and food wouldn't be of a high standard for the price.

Has anyone done any cruises around the British isles and/or the Scottish islands? I’m sort of interested but they arent cheap and perhaps mistakenly I sort of imagine the accommodation and food wouldn't be of a high standard for the price.
No but I also thought this might be a very low hassle toe in the water. Best is to check out some of the YouTube cruise channels for tips. Mainly the British channels are likely to review British Isles cruises.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. Its massively outside my comfort zone but I'm 55 and want to get more out of life!
The P&O cruise I did in 2017 had lots of public seating areas which were busy in the evenings. Some nights I sat in Starbucks, sometimes in one of the several bars and one night in a lounge. Not once did I feel out of place sitting with my cappuccino or gin and tonic. I people-watched, read a book or checked my emails.

I've been looking at coach holidays as well. I live in London, don't drive and have been looking at the Lake District. You are right that some people are quite negative about these types of holidays.
I’ve done lots of solo overseas coach holiday over the years and enjoyed every one. The only thing I worry about is having to sit next to someone for hours on end - eg another singleton or someone travelling in a group of 3. Luckily it’s only happened a few times. Seats are usually allocated.

I forgot to say that every coach trip I’ve done has had a handful of singles which is useful for having a drink in the evening, coffee during a tour stop etc. Most solo travellers want to be solo most of the time, not spending the whole trip with new buddies.

I've only had one cruise and that was around the UK including Orkney.

I found that it was essential to book coach excursions from the ship, which were rather expensive. I recently watched the Edinburgh military tattoo on TV and the arena looks huge, but in real life it looked much smaller.

Also, in Orkney there was a choice of various tours (as there were for most destinations) so you need to decide which one you want, as there is only time for one in each port. We went to an ancient pre-historic? site Skara Brae and it was very interesting.

It was a Fred Olsen cruise, and although the ship seemed huge to me, their ships are much smaller than the large ships you see these days.

We had a tour of Dublin, St Davids (the smallest City) and lots of other interesting places.

I think it lasted 10 days, and I can't fault the ship, the food, service and entertainment. We had only one day that was very rough, and there was a piano recital, and the grand piano started moving around the dance floor, it needed a lot of people to hold it.

I love being at sea, including rough weather, and have never been ill, including in a RN warship during a hurricane in the Bay Of Biscay.

I would like a lot more cruises, but OH is afraid of sea-sickness so not keen.

No but I also thought this might be a very low hassle toe in the water. Best is to check out some of the YouTube cruise channels for tips. Mainly the British channels are likely to review British Isles cruises.
I did my first one solo in 2018 to Norway when I was 60 and had an amazing time. There are always solo travelers and you can choose to dine with other people or not. I met some lovely people, some of whom I’m still in touch with. I am a lazy traveler and I loved the idea of waking up in a different place every day without the effort of having to do anything! I have never had any issues with security and have always felt safe, either going to the theatre, cinema restaurant or shopping alone. People are generally very friendly and you have the option of joining in or not. I’ve done three cruises now, on The Iona and Britannia, the largest ships in the P& O fleet and have the British Isles cruise booked for next year on one of the smaller adults only ships. Give it a go!

I`ve never cruised but Mr V and his late first wife did. She wouldn`t fly so they always sailed from Southampton. On one cruise Norovirus was doing the rounds and lots of people were ill and confined to their cabins. Mr V likes his food and he said that was one area which couldn`t be faulted, you could eat as much as you liked and the food was excellent so he said.
Maybe one day I`ll go on a cruise with him but seeing ships docked at sea for weeks not days during covid put me off. The only ship I`ve ever been on was a ferry to Ireland and even though we had rough seas on the return journey I was fine and wasn`t sick though other passengers were.

I did my first one solo in 2018 to Norway when I was 60 and had an amazing time. There are always solo travelers and you can choose to dine with other people or not. I met some lovely people, some of whom I’m still in touch with. I am a lazy traveler and I loved the idea of waking up in a different place every day without the effort of having to do anything! I have never had any issues with security and have always felt safe, either going to the theatre, cinema restaurant or shopping alone. People are generally very friendly and you have the option of joining in or not. I’ve done three cruises now, on The Iona and Britannia, the largest ships in the P& O fleet and have the British Isles cruise booked for next year on one of the smaller adults only ships. Give it a go!
Thank you! Definitely will check out P&O ships.
There are a few lines which are a bit off-putting, but P&O are one of the possibilities

V, I think if there was even the slightest hint of Covid being aboard any of the current cruise liners (all have undergone thorough deep cleaning as is the case if Novovirus gets aboard), then I'm sure the media would have been all over it.
For my November cruise I have never had so much paperwork to fill in. All pertaining to Covid testing beforehand, and having the necessary vaccine certificates, as well as having written travel insurance to produce. So short of us all wearing hazmat suits on board then its now down to the passengers to be 'sensible'. I certainly wont be whispering in anyone's ear or getting up close and personal with strangers - I don't anyway, but personal space will be my priority.

V, I think if there was even the slightest hint of Covid being aboard any of the current cruise liners (all have undergone thorough deep cleaning as is the case if Novovirus gets aboard), then I'm sure the media would have been all over it.
For my November cruise I have never had so much paperwork to fill in. All pertaining to Covid testing beforehand, and having the necessary vaccine certificates, as well as having written travel insurance to produce. So short of us all wearing hazmat suits on board then its now down to the passengers to be 'sensible'. I certainly wont be whispering in anyone's ear or getting up close and personal with strangers - I don't anyway, but personal space will be my priority.
On my cruise, there was always a member of staff at the entrance to all the restaurants who squirted everybody's hands with a foamy hand cleanser / disinfectant before you could go in, and this was many years before covid.

I'm a 'cruiser' and have stuck to one shipping line - Cunard. 'Dressing up' for evening dinner is part of the experience, and l've found that generally its very much understated. Lots and lots of black with very sparkly jewellery, yes there are sequins, again mostly black, however there are usually a lot of Americans so the evening wear is expensive and not prone to market stall embellishments. Younger ladies with legs up to their armpits might wear short dresses but are clearly 'designer' and are a million miles away from Quaker Factory 😂
Strangely enough in the early days - about 17 years ago I was on the QE2 and one of the onboard shops were stocking Frank Usher !!! - bit more upmarket than what our Juney offers though.

I can't comment on the dress code for other shipping lines which are more family orientated, some I understand have an 'anything goes' policy, but I prefer a mostly child free environment.
We are P & O cruisers but only go on adult only or out of school cruises. They still have black tie nights on a few nights and the rest are smart casual.
I have a Klass long red dress a black dress from Kaleidoscope with black sparkles and do like this dress up.
We don't like freedom dining either.

Can you spend time alone on a cruise or are you expected to be a 'joiner'? And if you decide to be more of a people watcher than a joiner, are you pressured to be part of a group because someone will want you under their wing?
No not unless you want to but we have found the majority of people are friendly.

I wish I had a £ for the number of times people have said to me "on your OWN ???" Its akin to admitting taking sugar in your tea, not wanting children, or admitting to having smoked when younger.

Its funny how folk react when solo holidays are mentioned, particularly when part of a couple. But what are we to do ? sit at home with a goldfish for the rest of our lives ? In reality its not easy to find someone else to go away with. Some can't afford it, others don't fancy cruising, and other friends are married and don't want to leave the old man ! so its bite the bullet and go !

MUTTLEY you enjoy your cruise. If you don't "get the bug " and book another one, then I'll eat my hat !
Our first one was in 2009 for our Ruby Wedding Anniversary. I was at work and hubby went to book it. He booked a 17 night one!!! I asked him what if we didn't like it,he said tough. We haven't looked back never do any other holiday. Can't imagine stopping in one place for a week or two.

Thank you! Definitely will check out P&O ships.
There are a few lines which are a bit off-putting, but P&O are one of the possibilities
We've been on Marella once ,Royal Caribbean twice,MSC once but most have been P&O which we think are the best for us
Marella was the Thomson Spirit lovely cruise to the Fjords and lovely staff.
Royal Caribbean tips added plus 18% on top of everything purchased.
MSC on MSC Opera,lovely ship food was lovely. They pick up at lots of ports so made for interesting groups of Europeans.

The P&O cruise I did in 2017 had lots of public seating areas which were busy in the evenings. Some nights I sat in Starbucks, sometimes in one of the several bars and one night in a lounge. Not once did I feel out of place sitting with my cappuccino or gin and tonic. I people-watched, read a book or checked my emails.
Thanks for that, I'd like that. I used to find it difficult eating on my own, but I now have a Kindle and a small stand so it's easier to read and not flat on the table. So much easier having something to focus on while I'm waiting for my food.

Ah yes, the good old book/newspaper/iPad - anything to use as a distraction for the single woman waiting on her own. I know what you mean Mutty, as probably thousands of other women do. I generally take a whole batch of mags with me, so even if I sit alone at the buffet I don't have to sit gazing around when I'm eating. Bit different in the waiter restaurant (I normally book the table with the greatest number of people) as there is always someone to talk to.

Latest posts

Back