Embellishments

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I dislike them too ONNSA. If I want a bit of sparkle or decoration on something then I`ll wear a brooch or a longer length necklace or dangly earrings. We came back from holiday a few weeks ago and I`d taken a cheap pair of costume earrings which I wore several times in the evening just to add a bit of sparkle to plain chiffon vest tops or lightweight floaty dresses and I honestly lost count of the number of people who asked me where I`d bought them and said how lovely they were.

I'll admit, back in the day of Indigo Moon I WAS a bit of a sucker for a few, ahem, highlights on jackets and Tees. But they've long since been consigned to the charity bin. However, maybe I should have kept them because I see that sort of stuff being snapped up by young hippy types now.

But no, I even hate eyeball burning prints now, can't stand them. Most of my wardrobe are plain colours, and in either linen blend or viscose. Anything with poly/elastene has also gone the way of the charity sack.

I never even thought of zips LATI. I was thinking about sequins, beads, embroidery, lurex etc, all of which I dislike. Zips to me come more under the functional heading.
Ah but I meant zips on the outside and often not working zips! I have a pair of suede pumps with a gold zip from toe to top which doesn’t unzip and today I had a top with a zip (working) each size at the hem.

Ah but I meant zips on the outside and often not working zips! I have a pair of suede pumps with a gold zip from toe to top which doesn’t unzip and today I had a top with a zip (working) each size at the hem.
They sound fine to me LATI, its sparkly fabrics, sparkly stones or beaded in your face embellishments I dislike or big bright embroidery embellishments.

Embellishments. yes or no.

Please tell me that I am not the only person who loathes embellishments on any form of clothing.
You're not alone, I hate them too. I hate to see dresses with plastic cabochons tacked on or sequins that end up falling off and making the garment look cheap and nasty, or should I say even more cheap and nasty!

There`s a stall on Bury market called Bobby`s fashions and you can`t get near it for the number of mobility scooters or shopping trolleys parked alongside it and its embellishment heaven for those who like such things. Almost everything on the stall is aimed towards cough cough the older generation of ladies. It`s all sparkly jumpers and perma pleat skirts, elastic waisted perma press trousers and beaded tops with frills or lace and gaudy floral patterns with rhinestones. I`m not far off 70 so I suppose I fall under the heading of "older generation" but I wouldn`t be seen dead in anything he sells. I bet many of his customers still own silver dancing shoes for Blackpool tower afternoon dances to the Wurlitzer !

My mum used to be horrified at my love of black clothes. Over the years I have allowed some colour but its very very difficult. I hate embellishments but I love jewellery. QVC do some nice diamonique pieces and I have some Lola Rose.

I remember JR giving us a snippet of news about an upcoming Christmas party her daughter was planning. 'Everyone MUST wear a Christmas jumper' was the rule. Julia thought this was such a fun and clever idea. And about clothing with embellishments, isn't it expected for evening wear on a cruise ship? I've never been on a cruise, but this is what I've heard.

I think whoever thought wearing Christmas jumpers was 'fun' also needs certifying.
I’m with you on that. Apart from being bliddy naff they are a terrible waste going straight to landfill. If absolutely necessary buy one, wear or adapt it every year and give the full purchase price of one to charity rather than the 20p the retailer gives over.

I remember JR giving us a snippet of news about an upcoming Christmas party her daughter was planning. 'Everyone MUST wear a Christmas jumper' was the rule. Julia thought this was such a fun and clever idea. And about clothing with embellishments, isn't it expected for evening wear on a cruise ship? I've never been on a cruise, but this is what I've heard.

I'm a 'cruiser' and have stuck to one shipping line - Cunard. 'Dressing up' for evening dinner is part of the experience, and l've found that generally its very much understated. Lots and lots of black with very sparkly jewellery, yes there are sequins, again mostly black, however there are usually a lot of Americans so the evening wear is expensive and not prone to market stall embellishments. Younger ladies with legs up to their armpits might wear short dresses but are clearly 'designer' and are a million miles away from Quaker Factory 😂
Strangely enough in the early days - about 17 years ago I was on the QE2 and one of the onboard shops were stocking Frank Usher !!! - bit more upmarket than what our Juney offers though.

I can't comment on the dress code for other shipping lines which are more family orientated, some I understand have an 'anything goes' policy, but I prefer a mostly child free environment.

Latest posts

Back