Expensive hair products.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I recorded it so haven't watched yet. So they don't name brands? That's a pity.
I'm always on the lookout for good hair care that is gentle & doesn't strip the condition out of hair. Not just for me but for my bunch of mutts who all have long coats, the ones like her ladyship on my avatar plus I have little Yorkies who's long flowing, ground length locks are very fine & silky, much more like human hair than dog hair.
I often buy nasty free, gentle American brands from TKMaxx or online groomer supplies & been tempted to use them myself they're so good! But you can't always repeat buy good ones you find.

What works for some does not always work for all a couple of you mentioned Aussie one my friend and I both tried a few years ago and we both found it was ok first few uses then it was awful. I have another friend who used to be a chemist for Yardley and only ever used cheap shampoo and shower products as basically they are all the same.

I agree with the comments about what suits one not suiting another. Cheap 'high street' shampoo and conditioner strip the colour out of my hair and leave it frizzy, whereas the professional brand I buy from my hairdresser keeps it in much better condition and the colour doesn't fade. So for me there clearly is a difference between high street and professional brands. If I didn't colour and heat style my hair then I would use a cheaper brand as it would probably do the job.

What professional brand do you use Elaaa?

I tried Kerastase in the past, it was awful for my hair.

i have dry hair and need quality haircare to get superb results. i am trying to grow my hair after many years of having it short. i buy philip kingsley everything for my hair and it lasts a long long time so pennies each use. i dont spend lots on skincare generally (apart from some of my fav perricone items a real treat) so i splash out on my hair. its horses for courses. though if they specified the top brands and a good dupe i would try it but they dont ever do that lol

What professional brand do you use Elaaa?

I tried Kerastase in the past, it was awful for my hair.

Hi China Girl, I use Angel Professional range - this is their site http://www.angel-haircare.com/index.php
Unfortunately I've not been able to find it online to buy, I think they only sell in bulk wholesale to hairdressers. However, because of that it's very reasonable, my hairdresser charges £12.50 for a litre of shampoo and £14 for a litre of conditioner. They have a fabulous leave in conditioner also, which I swear by.

It's a shame they don't seem to sell online direct to the public, but I guess prices would be much more expensive, so if your hairdresser stocks it then it's a good bargain to be had.

Last edited:
i have dry hair and need quality haircare to get superb results. i am trying to grow my hair after many years of having it short. i buy philip kingsley everything for my hair and it lasts a long long time so pennies each use. i dont spend lots on skincare generally (apart from some of my fav perricone items a real treat) so i splash out on my hair. its horses for courses. though if they specified the top brands and a good dupe i would try it but they dont ever do that lol

I agree, I much prefer to put my money into haircare than skincare. It's a a corny saying but you "wear your hair every day", and no matter what clothes I put on, if my hair doesn't look good then I don't feel good.

I use 3 shampoos.

I do a first wash with Australian Bodycare shampoo, it's a new one, I got recently, I love it for getting the dirt out!

Then I do a follow up wash, with either Fudge violet or Phillip Kingsley.

I used to use Wen, but since it's gone I'm using a few different types of conditioner wash. I'm currently liking Palmer's coconut (smells lovely) and my most recent find, L'Oreal's version of a co-wash, Low wash. My hair seems to prefer the colour version to the curl one - strange as I have curly, dry hair.

I used to use the SLS-free Everpure, but my hair is in much better condition with the co-wash.

My favourites at the mo are Kerastase Nutritive and Nexxus Nutritive (which smells amazing). I, too, can get a sensitive / itchy scalp, so I use the Body Shop Ginger Anti Dandruff shampoo every 2-3 washes, and that seems to keep it at bay. Also quite liked a Christophe Robin (always makes me think of Winnie the Pooh!) one I tried recently. I love Philip Kingsley's Elasticizer (the Neroli and Geranium one), Percy and Reed products, and Mythic Oil protective styling cream, too.

Will watch the program on catch up, thanks for highlighting. :happy:

I watched the programme, very interesting. But it was more about how styling products worked on the hair and damaged caused etc. The shampoo brands they tested did not get named just the prices. SLS mentioned of course but nothing about drying the scalp out etc.

Aussie did not work for me though loads sweat by it. I have some Kevin Murphy products(bought when a local salon stopped selling the brand. I got them for £2 a bottle), Angel Wash and strangely about 4 different conditioners from the brand.

Went off Aussie Shampoo too, although some friends use and swear by it!

I used Alberto the one with oil and smells like coconut! It's really good and leaves hair shiny and soft!

Pity the programme didn't name more brands as it was bit wishy washy! :mysmilie_5:

people advocating not using heat protection are misled. you have to make sure its dry before you apply the heat or it will fry your hair

Latest posts

Back