Find me a fragrance!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
Been using SJP Lovely for a while, love the fragrance, but it has little or no staying power (sadly my skin doesn't carry fragrance very well unless the perfume is headachingly strong). Got lots of SJP in stock at home as I've bought and received a fair few bottles as presents, so I can afford to top it up regularly, especially as it's not a pricey one - This is my evening/non workday fragrance. Eventually I'd like to find myself a signature scent that obviously I like, and has staying power.

What I am looking for at the moment is a perfume for daytime/work days. Have been using Tommy Girl, but again the fragrance doesn't last on my skin. I'll spray it on in the morning and by the time I get to work I can't smell it at all unless I put my wrist right up to my nose, I can smell a very small trace..later in the day...absolutely nothing. The bottle has all but run out so I'm looking to replace it with a preferably floral fragrance which is light but also has staying power - Is there such a thing?

Became "nose blind" in Boots and Debenhams last week, but decided I liked Lacoste Elegant for women..actually sprayed it on my skin but again the scent didn't last very long...better than the TG, but it was fairly pricey so wouldn't be able to afford to spray it willy nilly. Don't mind a more costly one if it lasts better. Any ideas folks? Not keen on fruity fragrances as I find them a bit sickly. Thanks folks.

Okay, if you wear the same fragrances all the time your nose starts to block them out. Others might still smell them on you no problem, so I would ask someone else if they can smell the ones you use all the time?

Some swear by putting a little vaseline on their pulse points to make the fragrance last longer. Or even spraying a cotton wool ball and pulling in your bra to hold the fragrance. I admit I have no problems I get at least 5 hours usually from everything. But I exfoliate every bath and use body lotion so don't have dry skin. It sounds like you have dry skin and the fragrance just soaks in and disappears. I actually use the scrub gloves you get cheap to exfoliate and any body lotion will do though I prefer unscented.

Fragrance is so personal I don't think I'd be able to find someone their perfect perfume, however, someone who knows their stuff would so I suggest a visit to a perfumery. If you look back through recent threads you'll find one, I'm sure it was about the Shay & Blue TSV, where we all go off on a tangent & there are many perfumes discussed. If you do find your signature fragrance just hope that it doesn't get discontinued.

Perfume society sounds like a good idea..might try one of the boxes, though I suspect you can probably get a lot of these sample sizes for nothing if you have the savvy, but nevertheless it is one way of trying out plenty of fragrances and hope to God, if you find one you really like it's doesn't cost "silly money" for the full sized version...Will probably indulge when payday comes. I have got very dry skin so will try exfoliating and adding vaseline to my skin. As for signature scent, there's a few at work who have them..one's been wearing Estee Lauder Beautiful since she was 16, she's now 50...It's definitely a "stayer" but sadly I find it cloying and sickly smelling, another Jimmy Choo Flash...smells like flyspray to me, but again a stayer, the other lady wears Calvin Klein's Eternity, and it's absolutely lovely...tempted to go for that one, however, I've had CK perfumes before and they've had very poor staying power on me. Could try the vaseline trick if I don't find anything else I like!

If you like a light floral, the L'Occitane Terre De Lumiere L'Eau is very enjoyable to wear. Because it's a light fragrance, though, you can only get it in an EDT, not an EDP, so it won't have the same staying power.

I always see advice that if you are wearing fragrance, it's better if you are not putting it on places that you expose to the sun. I'm sure it's because of potential skin damage, but I imagine it may also be because the sun can damage the scent.

Nadine Baggott's most recent YouTube video on summer fragrances: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwaoxeJM7v4
The rest of her playlist on fragrances: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeACZyWIzqQ&list=PLheYCOazM2JTILgedqKu3PyxWSuiCRe6e

She is rather good at her descriptions of fragrances, I think.

Good luck!

Well I found me a fragrance! Quite unexpectedly too. I'd pretty much resigned myself to going back and buying the Lacoste one I liked, despite its staying power not being up to much, however I was rooting round a drawer and I found an unopened perfume sample of Missguided babe power, I was on my way to a festival that weekend and thought great...That'll be ideal just to wear there, probably too young a fragrance but anything will do at a festival. Cut a long story short, I sprayed it, really liked it, it was floral and fruity, though I'm not a great lover of fruity scents as a rule ...staying power? Amazing lasted all day and all night and could still smell traces in the morning! Not hideously expensive either, but not a cheapy either. Went and bought a bottle...very happy!!!

Glad you found something merryone.

I was in Boots last week and spotted L'Aimant by Coty which my Mum used to wear had a quick spray. I was shocked at how lovely it was on me. So bought a little 15mls for £7.09 a number of women I know not knowing what I was wearing raved about it.

I was in Boots last week and spotted L'Aimant by Coty which my Mum used to wear had a quick spray. I was shocked at how lovely it was on me. So bought a little 15mls for £7.09 a number of women I know not knowing what I was wearing raved about it.

My mum word this too! City seems almost invisible now, at least over this side of the pond...but I know they own several brands.

L`Aimant was one of the first perfumes I ever owned along with Aqua Manda and Alysha Ashley Musk. They brought back Aqua Manda a few years ago but it smells nothing like the original. I haven`t smelled Alysha Ashley musk these days, no doubt that`s changed too. My Mum used to buy the L`Aimant cream perfume in a tiny black bottle with a plastic dabber and you rubbed the cream into your pulse points. At that time Avon did lots of cream perfumes in jars and they were very popular.

Crikey...I loved the 70's and 80's perfumes. My mum used to wear Rive Gauche for special occasions but also had Aqua Manda, and Blase. I used to like Odyssey by Avon and Yardley Chique..and of course Impulse body sprays!

This was my mum’s go to fragrance, occasionally 4711 and patchouli.

I loved L'Aimant too recently bought the cream stuff lol. My all time favourite is YSL's Paris.

Latest posts

Back