Fish and chips from my new chippie

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
I've just been up to our brand new chippie (completely refurbished since the previous one closed).

But I was amazed at the prices, a large cod £10-25 and chips £3-75 = £14 !!!!!

Anyway, I put my order in, then they asked if I would like a plastic bag.

I asked if that cost extra, and they said 10P. The previous chippie did not charge, neither does the Indian next door, nor the Chinese 2 doors away.

I said I didn't want to get the inside of my insulated bag greasy (as I have a 20 minute walk home) but I said I would not pay an extra 10P on a £14 fish and chips.

So I walked out and had a Chinese curry chicken instead, and I doubt if I will ever go there again.

I believe that takeaways are not supposed to charge for bags, I will look it up later.

I've just been up to our brand new chippie (completely refurbished since the previous one closed).

I asked if that cost extra, and they said 10P. The previous chippie did not charge, neither does the Indian next door, nor the Chinese 2 doors away.

I said I didn't want to get the inside of my insulated bag greasy (as I have a 20 minute walk home) but I said I would not pay an extra 10P on a £14 fish and chips.

So I walked out and had a Chinese curry chicken instead, and I doubt if I will ever go there again.

I believe that takeaways are not supposed to charge for bags, I will look it up later.
I not sure it's not allowed but they're jumping on the bandwagon from when free carrier bags were vetoed in supermarkets. A fast food business is not required to charge for carrier bags, but a lot of them do because they think people don't know, and I think it's a bit of ****** cheek, especially when it's being delivered to you. I get that if you're going to a take away to collect it then you can take your own bag along with you. Some of the fast food outlets on just eat/deliveroo, will charge 50p for a service charge, another few quid for delivery unless you're spending £30+ and then another 10p for a bag and it all adds up. I'd say have a look at getting a delivery because you can "shop around for good deals" Some places are quite reasonable and they do special deals like "Cheeky Tuesday" where you can get 20% off. Fish and chips is not a cheap take away any more

You’re not required to charge for plastic bags that are solely used for:

• uncooked fish and fish products
  • uncooked meat, poultry and their products
  • unwrapped food for animal or human consumption - such as chips, or food in containers that aren’t secure enough to prevent leakage during handling
  • unwrapped loose seeds
  • flowers
  • bulbs, corms or rhizomes (roots, stems and shoots, such as ginger).
  • goods contaminated by soil (like potatoes or plants)
As the fish and chips are sold in cardboard boxes and the cooking oil goes straight through, this is LEAKAGE so the bags should be free.

I was charged for a paper carrier bag just after the plastic bag charge was introduced!!

I was charged for a paper carrier bag just after the plastic bag charge was introduced!!
It is the principle really, having just spent £14 on one helping of fish and chips and then they want to charge 10P for a bag to carry it home.

Just looked up the price chippies pay for them, it is a fraction of a penny each, so they are making a huge profit just on the bags.

My local chippie puts orders in brown paper bags, if it is a big order you get a free plastic bag.

I know the fish supper is now £8.50 and a pastie supper £5.20. I prefer Haddock to cod, so never get a fish supper.

Latest posts

Back