Fitness with Davina TSV 16/06/21

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

3 stone in 3 months is too fast. Crash diets and rapid weight loss can wreck your metabolism... plus your body has a weight it likes to return to: homeostasis. The body creates a set point, and when you are under, your body will FIGHT you to get back to that level. Sadly it seems happy to adjust UPWARDS without a fight 🤬
Also with rapid weight loss the tendency is to lose muscle... so when you jump off the diet train your higher percentage of fat will make it easier than ever to put weight on.
As we age it just becomes so much harder to change, so we need to be prepared for permanent changes to our lifestyle and habits to have a chance of losing the weight and keeping it off...and to be permanently vigilant about weight change.
Even then, genetics can be against us. It's recently been discovered that there are genetic markers that program people to become, and remain, obese.
I've stayed the same weight since a teenager, but these days I do control the calorie intake, whereas previously I ate twice as much.

Your body does 'change shape' as we get older. I'm 5'7 and was a size 14/16 on leaving school - sounds big but I was heavily into sports like tennis, hockey, swimming, and a lifetime of tap dancing. My 'weight' was around my bum and tum - due to the genetics on my Mum's side, but I inherited my Dad's slim legs - which gave the illusion of me being slimmer than I actually was.

Fast forward almost 60 years, and I'm a 20/22, legs have thickened a bit, BUT the biggest factor of looking bigger, is around the upper arms, shoulders and bust, which can be described as 'matronly' as we get older - giving the Les Dawson look. Why this happens is a mystery. I wear a good fitting bra and cover the upper arms with self tan (they do look better), and wear elbow or kimono length sleeves, but we have to 'get clever' with dressing as we age, as it can be so easy to fall into the brogues and pleated skirt Miss Marple look but with a Hatti Jacques bust !

Chatting with a friend at the weekend, she is 70 next month. Loves the longer length dresses and saying she is either going to have to give them to the charity shop or pay to get them turned up. She was always 5.4" and last year wore her favourite black one without problems tried it on at the weekend, and it's trailing the ground. Now she has said to me, she thinks she was getting shorter for a while.

I dread that happening to me. I was measured in the hospital in 2019 and still 5' one and half! All the other women there had shrunk!

Your body does 'change shape' as we get older. I'm 5'7 and was a size 14/16 on leaving school - sounds big but I was heavily into sports like tennis, hockey, swimming, and a lifetime of tap dancing. My 'weight' was around my bum and tum - due to the genetics on my Mum's side, but I inherited my Dad's slim legs - which gave the illusion of me being slimmer than I actually was.

Fast forward almost 60 years, and I'm a 20/22, legs have thickened a bit, BUT the biggest factor of looking bigger, is around the upper arms, shoulders and bust, which can be described as 'matronly' as we get older - giving the Les Dawson look. Why this happens is a mystery. I wear a good fitting bra and cover the upper arms with self tan (they do look better), and wear elbow or kimono length sleeves, but we have to 'get clever' with dressing as we age, as it can be so easy to fall into the brogues and pleated skirt Miss Marple look but with a Hatti Jacques bust !
Brilliantly described. And spot on!

Does anyone really care what size Catherine is? She's a very pretty lady and the fact that she has to wear size 18 trousers is really no big deal is it? Jilly said she (Jilly) was a size 16 and CH looks smaller in the hips than Jilly. Someone's not giving their true size and I would put my money on CH. Is it that "oh poor me I'm huge" thing?

The obvious answer to Catherine's angst about her weight gain is that she needs to eat less. Nothing in life is easy. Just bite the bullet and do it or shut up and be bigger.

CC
Defo fewer calories & probably more minerals in a bullet

Chatting with a friend at the weekend, she is 70 next month. Loves the longer length dresses and saying she is either going to have to give them to the charity shop or pay to get them turned up. She was always 5.4" and last year wore her favourite black one without problems tried it on at the weekend, and it's trailing the ground. Now she has said to me, she thinks she was getting shorter for a while.

I dread that happening to me. I was measured in the hospital in 2019 and still 5' one and half! All the other women there had shrunk!
I was 5'6" at 18, I'm now one inch shorter.

Looks familiar… but much much cheaper (Aldi )

Attachments

• FD644FC3-0965-490B-8301-2DC2B0D21403.jpeg
    FD644FC3-0965-490B-8301-2DC2B0D21403.jpeg
    16 KB · Views: 77

Latest posts

Back