Found this interesting article about QVC...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Interesting it says that presenters, when selling an item,

"You have to be credible," she said. "You can't keep saying 'I love it' and 'I would wear it' when the viewers know that you wouldn't. But you always have to remember that someone out there will think it's perfect for them."

Maybe someone should make Jill franks read the article!!!

I think they have past their sell by date, they are no longer that competitive and would hazard a guess that the sales figures are well down over the past year. The recession has to have hot them too.

Good grief, over 13 million items a day!

Must admit I've never heard of some of the brands on the best sellers list.

wonder what the top ten best sellers list would read like now????

Probably

Liz Earle,
Kim N Co
Butler & Wilson
Northern Nights
Ojon
Decleor
Gatineau
Elemis
Yankee Candles
Diamonique

Not in that order though

.... whilst trawling for info on what part of the country a certain presenter lives in!!

Bear in mind it was written 2 years ago but, they make a MILLION a day??!!? Holy moly!!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/r...ping-as-qvc-marks-anniversary-86908-20763799/

They might sell £1,000,000 a day, but that won't be profit. I would be interested to see what sort of margins they work to. I reckon the recession will have seen those figures take a bit of a nosedive

I think they have past their sell by date, they are no longer that competitive and would hazard a guess that the sales figures are well down over the past year. The recession has to have hot them too.

Not judging by the price of tomorrow's TSV!! (KitchenAid)!

Not judging by the price of tomorrow's TSV!! (KitchenAid)!

Perhaps not. When times are bad financially some people might be more inclined to save and invest in a "quality" item rather than "waste" dosh on stuff perceived as cheap and disposable. The quotation marks are because I don't personally buy into the brand name mythology, yeah some are fab and some are no better than stuff from cheapo places.:coffee:

Perhaps not. When times are bad financially some people might be more inclined to save and invest in a "quality" item rather than "waste" dosh on stuff perceived as cheap and disposable. The quotation marks are because I don't personally buy into the brand name mythology, yeah some are fab and some are no better than stuff from cheapo places.:coffee:

I wanted a mixer, got it from M&S direct last week, cost me £35! Obviously doesn't do all the stuff the KitchenAid does, but should be OK for cakes/dough. Got a 2 year guarantee (which I was surprised at), so if it goes wrong, I don't feel too bad. I wonder how long the guarantee for the KitchenAid is.

They might sell £1,000,000 a day, but that won't be profit. I would be interested to see what sort of margins they work to. I reckon the recession will have seen those figures take a bit of a nosedive

I found some information and QVC's turnover for y/e 2008 was £360 million, pre-tax profit was £19.9 million so by my calculations 5.5% profit margin. The previous 2 years they had a better years when the margin appeared to be 7.7% - 8% so the margin has gone down based on my information. Their results for 2009 should be filed at Companies House any day unless they are late.

Perhaps not. When times are bad financially some people might be more inclined to save and invest in a "quality" item rather than "waste" dosh on stuff perceived as cheap and disposable.

This is so true. Sales of luxury products - good diamonds, fine art and so on - always go up in an economic downturn. Not that I'm suggesting QVC could be understood to retail any of those...:giggle: But I do think they are increasingly trying to place themselves in the realm of 'everyday luxury' as they might term it. I know someone who opened a QVC account recently and their introduction pack had a series of cards in it, all images of the most luxurious products sold by QVC with comments about treating ourselves and devilish purchases. When I joined in 2004 all I got was a letter on cheap paper telling me how to use QCut and a plastic ring sizer :dull:

When I joined back in the nineties I got nothing. Not even a QVC card !! Just a bit of paper with my membership number on.

Latest posts

Back