Freebies

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

That’s why I started this thread, so that we could keep a check on who gets what on a weekly basis. Kathryn G has had the Elemis to try, and Catherine H has been given the security camera so far on this weeks blogs
I see your point. Good thinking Clothescloth. Let’s continue doing what you have started because it is simply reporting what they have told us. We can keep this thread going and in that way and we will know what they are doing and they will know what we are doing. They can’t try and take exception to it because we will be sharing what they have shared with us.

Perhaps we need to look at the regularity of these. Does x need to sample every single Elemis TSV, does y need to try out every cookware TSV, does z need to get a shot at every Dyson. How many Sketchers does one presenter need free?

Most of us have our hairdryer/straightners for years so why do certain presenters need replacements on a 6 monthly basis.

Now it's been mentioned here, how long before Q percenters say how important it is for them to try stuff at home so they can talk with authority about their products? Ten ... nine ... eight ...seven ...

Now it's been mentioned here, how long before Q percenters say how important it is for them to try stuff at home so they can talk with authority about their products? Ten ... nine ... eight ...seven ...
If that’s the case then it’s a shame that many of them don’t know what they’re waffling about when presenting an item. I don’t believe that they get samples to try because I doubt they send them back after their “trial.”

Just sticking my head above the parapet to say that I'm just wondering how presenters are supposed to trial things, I'm speaking about skincare, food, and cutting-edge electronics here, and so speak with honesty about recommending them, if they are not given them to try for an extended period? I think we'd be rather cynical if they just told us that everything was wonderful without ever actually trying them, wouldn't we?
Some jobs just come with enormous perks, and most don't. That being said, I think there is never any excuse for boasting about anything you've either been given or have been fortunate enough to afford to buy. That's where I'd, personally, draw the line.

NOTE: BETWEEN ME WRITING THIS AND POSTING IT, THE PRECEDING TWO COMMENTS WERE POSTED. But I do think it's a relevant argument. Again, it may not be equitable, but some jobs just have better perks than others. I just think 'lucky them'.

Does Craig need female perfume or body lotion sets?

Does Julia, after 25 years still need to try out Gatenau?

After 15 years do they still need to get Sketchers go walk

Why could the Dyson not be kept in the dressing room for each to use before going on air (pre Covid) rather than every presenter getting them free.

We aren’t talking something costing a customer a few pounds but hundreds when it is Dyson or Kitchenaid or Samsung TV

Here goes:
I am so happy this month because some qvc presenters have shared the following with us their viewers and customers.
Debbie Flint has been cooking her stir fries in her Le Creuset pans. I wish they would show us how to cook in them when they demonstrate them in the studio. Poor presenters having to do overtime in their own homes.

I can’t wait to see her vlog where she uses the Elemis TSV which she has bought in advance for our benefit so she can show us how she applies it. We are spoilt because have often wondered how to use a cleansing balm and apply a moisturiser because silly QVC doesn’t do that on their live presentations. Would you believe it only last week she stuffed her wardrobe with at least 11 new pairs of Vionics.

Poor Catherine Huntley, she can’t even have a bath in peace. She was filming her cats playing in her lounge on that QVC security camera. I hope she didn’t have to pay for it so that she could use it at home for our benefit. Heaven knows why silly QVC can’t demonstrate these products for their customers in the studio. More overtime for those poor put upon presenters.

So sorry for Craigie. He had gone to the trouble of buying Dover Sole / Lemon Sole (?) so that we the lucky viewers can see him using his very expensive Le Creuset pans what they couldn’t demonstrate in the studio. Do we think he paid for them? Even worse for the poor man the had him washing his floors with a mop and bucket they are selling. Cheek! I bet he had to buy all that.

It gets worse. Kathy Taylor is off sick but what do QVC do? They send her a range of Joules clothes and the poor woman has to go into her garden in front of
her summer house to model them. I don’t think Kathy should put up with that. I think she should have sent it all back and tell them that the models in the studio should do that. Why should the poor woman on sick leave have to stuff her wardrobes full of QVC samples just for our benefit?

Katy Pullinger’s family life has been disrupted because QVC have given her some security camera to try out because we need to see it at work in her home. Don’t put up with it Kathy. Home time should be your own not for our benefit but when you move on in your career we will remember all the sacrifices you made for your QVC customers.

Finally for now. The lovely Miceal doesn’t want us to realise that he has gone to all that extra trouble for us at home. He cleverly writes his blog without saying he has all those products at home. Clever, isn’t he! I bet the others will copy him and they will all start doing that.

Keep watching!

Last edited:
Just sticking my head above the parapet to say that I'm just wondering how presenters are supposed to trial things, I'm speaking about skincare, food, and cutting-edge electronics here, and so speak with honesty about recommending them, if they are not given them to try for an extended period? I think we'd be rather cynical if they just told us that everything was wonderful without ever actually trying them, wouldn't we?
Some jobs just come with enormous perks, and most don't. That being said, I think there is never any excuse for boasting about anything you've either been given or have been fortunate enough to afford to buy. That's where I'd, personally, draw the line.

NOTE: BETWEEN ME WRITING THIS AND POSTING IT, THE PRECEDING TWO COMMENTS WERE POSTED. But I do think it's a relevant argument. Again, it may not be equitable, but some jobs just have better perks than others. I just think 'lucky them'.

They can have a sample that each presenter presenting can try in the building before going on air, but that would take preparation, so instead of gabbing in their dressing room, prepare for your hour and trial the sample. they don’t all need their own. Also, if they’ve tried a certain beauty product in a TSV before, they don’t all need a new TSV.

I had a look to see who was doing the TSV midnight show to see if that was the presenter who received the freebie to try out.

Camera jobbie is launched by Miceal and yes he gives the technical details on his blog but unless I missed it he didn’t say he had one given to try out (Could be economical with the truth but give him the benefit of the doubt)

On the other hand Chunts who is presenting a mid afternoon show despite having “bought one a few months ago” has been given a new one . Why? Q explain this?

I had a look to see who was doing the TSV midnight show to see if that was the presenter who received the freebie to try out.

Camera jobbie is launched by Miceal and yes he gives the technical details on his blog but unless I missed it he didn’t say he had one given to try out (Could be economical with the truth but give him the benefit of the doubt)

On the other hand Chunts who is presenting a mid afternoon show despite having “bought one a few months ago” has been given a new one . Why? Q explain this?
I am not as generous as you. The next stage will be them writing about their freebies omitting the I tried it at home. Their photos will be close ups so their home will not be recognised which makes all the more calculated, grabbing and greedy. That is what Miceal has done in his latest blog. We know what you are doing and is that how you want to be perceived. Most viewers are very savvy.
Personally I don’t think lucky them. I am offended by their greed whist at the same time trying to sell themselves as caring and charitable.

Last edited:

BUT... are they gonna admit if they think the product is crap? Ok paying for stuff would make one more honest in their appraisals but even so , they know and we know that we can’t be sure whether they genuinely like something or not.. so a pointless exercise really. A shopping channel’s ups is the live demonstration mattters a damn whether the presenters been given one to take home. It is unnecessary. Nowt wrong with perks but don’t rub it in customer’s faces. I wouldn’t brag to my customers at work that I get 25% discount!!

Ok, so I suppose QVC will justify the freebies by the cop out of the presenters need to test the product. So then WHY are the ‘celebs’ given them too? I’ve heard Ruth comment that she has been given skin care, and also Amanda Holden said once she had received a hamper full of skin care products. Some time ago when Elemis did a ‘big’ TSV ( it may have been a Christmas one or something) everyone and their dog seemed to get one, and were filmed opening theirs, including AH! Why on earth did she get one? Now it’s highly unlikely that Amanda or Ruth or any of the other celebs are going to be hosting a skincare show is it?

I work, when not furloughed, in a book and toy store.

My colleagues and I are regularly asked for advice about which book or toy we would recommend for someone, we are expected to be able to do that without reading the all books or playing with the all the toys because we are meant to have knowledge not only of the stock on shop floor but what's in the stock room too.

I have worked in an electrical store where we were able to advise on appliances, cookers, washing machines, TVs etc because we took the trouble to learn about what we were selling.

We didn't need freebies to be able to sell merchandise, which is just as well because we never got any!

I work, when not furloughed, in a book and toy store.

My colleagues and I are regularly asked for advice about which book or toy we would recommend for someone, we are expected to be able to do that without reading the all books or playing with the all the toys because we are meant to have knowledge not only of the stock on shop floor but what's in the stock room too.

I have worked in an electrical store where we were able to advise on appliances, cookers, washing machines, TVs etc because we took the trouble to learn about what we were selling.

We didn't need freebies to be able to sell merchandise, which is just as well because we never got any!
Yip that the point. Training and preparation which are 2 words not in Qk’s vocabulary.

I bet you are able to see which books and toys the children are drawn to and which in a series are the sellers.

Ofcourse we have to remember Q isn’t a proper job it’s money for old rope, it’s a self promotion platform for people who couldn’t cut it out anywhere on the DHS

It wouldn`t be so bad if the feedback from presenters or guests was honest feedback but it never is. None of them are going to say the pies were shite, the vacuum cleaner didn`t pick up the dog hairs, the skin cream brought them out in a rash or the shampoo made their scalp itch etc etc etc. Praise where praise is due but only if it`s honest praise and that`s something we never get. Those of us who know how it all works just take whatever they say with a huge pinch of salt. Yes if something is new to Q then by all means let someone test it but the world and it`s dog don`t need to be involved but brands think the more people who can either influence or praise an item is worth the cost of giving it to as many people as possible. People read their blogs and listen to their every word or follow them on social media and just swallow the hype.

Latest posts

Back