Garden Pick of the Month

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Sadly I’ve had to stop feeding the little birds because it caused a rat problem. We got so much pleasure from watching them come down to the feeders, we even gave some of the familiar ones names! It was so sad to see them come down looking for their food, but the rat problem became quite bad. We have allotments at the back of our garden, and school playing fields at the side, and the rats were coming over from there. (Yes, we also have two cats!! But it became too much even for them!)

Would it be worth trying the Nutpecker jars because they apparently don’t spill anything and they’re for small birds?

Would it be worth trying the Nutpecker jars because they apparently don’t spill anything and they’re for small birds?
I tried the jars, would you believe it, the rats managed to climb up the pole onto the jar! I then greased the pole,so they then climbed up the nearby fence, and after many attempts , perfected a giant onto the jars. That’s when I gave up!

Rats stole all my nutpecker jars and we found them empty underneath the shed when we demolished it. I knew there was a rat's nest under there (shudder). Don't ask me how they got them out the tree but maybe Clothescloth's post has explained it.

CC

I’ve kept quite a few pet rats in the past but they never attempted to climb anywhere when they were let out. My 4’ 6” iguana was totally different though. He’d climb anywhere, including up to the top of the Christmas tree. Mind you, he was arboreal, but I didn’t realise rats would shin up a tree, but I guess hunger will drive them to do anything.

It’s such a shame that you can’t feed the birds now without encouraging unwelcome visitors. 😕

I live in the country next to a farm and often see rats the size of small ponies. I also have a pond and looked out one day to see a wet rat laid next to the pond not moving and another one trying to get it to move. It was very sad to watch the live rat shaking and pulling the dead one trying to get it away to safety.

I live in the country next to a farm and often see rats the size of small ponies. I also have a pond and looked out one day to see a wet rat laid next to the pond not moving and another one trying to get it to move. It was very sad to watch the live rat shaking and pulling the dead one trying to get it away to safety.
I don't like rats or mice but thats still very very sad.We are all gods creatures.

We have rats out the back of our offices so nothing on this earth would entice me out there, however we have new cleaners and as I was getting ready to leave for the day I saw that they had left the back doors wide to the world to get air in to dry wet floors so I’m not convinced one won’t have got in to the offices and will poke it’s nose out under my desk!

You'll see the evidence first if they are there LATI. I worked in an office with building works going on out the back and you could see the rat droppings inside everywhere, especially where people had left half eaten biscuits/half drunk coffee/half eaten food in the bins etc. You could also hear them scrabbling around behind the cistern boarding in the ladies loos. I left lol.

CC

During covid I started taking my own mug and glass and bringing them back each day which I have continued to do so thankfully I know they can’t have been near them but i’m sorry to say most of my colleagues leave food everywhere and don’t clean up after themselves when they cook their breakfast or lunch. Why do people bring the making of a breakfast and cook it in work rather than have it at their own home?

I find the prices for most garden related stuff on QVC to be really overpriced. I have just bought two lovely pots from my local garden centre for £9 the two. They have a great selection of sizes and lovely colours, really sturdy 35 cm pots. The plants are on a par with QVC prices but are much larger, better established imo. When the p and p is added it starts to get ridiculous.

I bought 2 planters from AldI £6:99 each.I have had 2 of the same before but 1 now has some of the top finish peeling off but nothing drastic & still usable.I saw some at a local garden centre & was nearly prepared to pay over £30 each.The Aldi ones look like ceramic, no fancy patterns on them just what I want.Cheers for Aldi!!

Latest posts

Back