Garden Pick of the Month

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Rats! Ugh.....

Obie retrieved a dead one 2 days ago from parkland. He had to have his chops thoroughly cleaned, & chew a parsley denta stick....

You could have washed his mouth with 50/50 water/Dew (yes, I know. I'm a walking ad for them... but it IS good stuff).

Seriously, I hope he's okay. I'm always wary of a dead rat as they could have been poisoned which could contaminate our dogs.

Talking of rats (or squirrels in a cute outfit), beware of having squirrels in the garden. If they decide your attic looks like a new home for them, they can chew through any electrics and cause a problem (not to mention the mess they make gnawing through everything else).

I love the Apricot trailing Begonias as well. Had mine years. Just take them in November time, wrap in newspaper and put in a cupboard until March/ April. Year before last I left some out still in one of the hanging baskets and amazingly they started sprouting in April. I was quite amazed as I thought the cold might do them in, as I am in West Yorkshire. But they turned out even better than the ones I brought in. Excellent buy all those years ago.

Not about gardening or QVC, but about our garden. Our pond has been frozen over a lot these past weeks and last night I spotted a frog sitting on top of the ice, bet he/she had a cold bum, so had to lay a pan of hot water on top of the ice in the corner to melt a bit of it, and in he/she popped. Actually may have been a pregnant girl, it was rather large. So maybe the weather is set to improve if the frogs are about. We have a few males overwinter at the bottom of the pond. When the females arrive, we (and the neighbours) can hear them from the kitchen. Randy little beggars!!. :LOL: Roll on Spring.
My mum always put a ball in the pond to stop it freezing over completely & would take it out every day to release any gas build up. She said that a pond should never ice over completely because breaking the ice sent vibrations through the water that harm wildlife.

My mum always put a ball in the pond to stop it freezing over completely & would take it out every day to release any gas build up. She said that a pond should never ice over completely because breaking the ice sent vibrations through the water that harm wildlife.
That's right Twilight, breaking the ice causes shockwaves through the pond. Not good for the wildlife at the bottom, especially when they are hibernating. Most of the time it doesn't freeze up, but I watch for it happening. I have used a tennis ball before, but sometimes I can't get the flipping thing out. Then I am back to a pan of water just to release the ball. When it freezes over I sit a pan of boiling water on the top and let the ice melt slowly.

Garden Pick of the Month April

Luxform Kensington Solar Lamppost & Pot
Item Number: 715273

Attachments

• gdczgsd.jpg
    gdczgsd.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 106
Gill Gauntlet has two on her patio, Pipa also said she has hers at home and survived last nights winds ok. She had a picture taken of hers lit up during the night.

Reviews from last year said the pole snapped in the wind. I'd be peeved at that price. I've still got my flame torch lights I got a few years ago from IW and they are still going strong. Not sure a lamp post would suit my tiny garden. Gill Gauntlett has a nice patio but I'm sure she doesn't have all that carp on there usually - just for the telly I would think.

CC

Reviews from last year said the pole snapped in the wind. I'd be peeved at that price. I've still got my flame torch lights I got a few years ago from IW and they are still going strong. Not sure a lamp post would suit my tiny garden. Gill Gauntlett has a nice patio but I'm sure she doesn't have all that carp on there usually - just for the telly I would think.

CC
She has a big garage by the looks of it and she spoke today about lights at a storage facility she uses near QVC

I've been in sales but I couldn't hack it. If I think something's rubbish then I can't try and flog it to someone more gullible than me. Everyone's got to make a buck though. I suspect if you opened GG's garage you would have the same experience as when you open my Lock n Lock cupboard.

CC

I had one of these years ago half the price but: it was top heavy cast iron top and plastic bucket. so it had to be wieghted with bricks to stop it toppling. Then the lights started falling off exposing the wires that were quite good at holidng onto the top heavy glass shades. what a mess!

I've still got my flame torch lights I got a few years ago from IW and they are still going strong.
I bought those as well when they were on offer - £40 for a set of 4. They’re brilliant and even light up for several hours during the winter. My neighbour thought there was a fire when I first installed the one by the front door because they are so bright and realistic.

In my opinion, compared to those ones, the flame torch lights that QVC sold pale into insignificance for two reasons - they aren’t solar and need batteries and they were also far more expensive than the IW ones.

I have learned a lot this year by doing my own seeds. Lots of mistakes so I know what to do better next time (labels got mixed up so I’m not sure which of varieties are which), some i had far too many of and others didn’t do so well but it’s been an experience.

Latest posts

Back