Gem's dishonest sell tactics again!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

lennyboy

Registered Shopper
Mum watching auction on IF diamond ring just now (break from unending shoddy jade) and heard presenter repeatedly say she was goin' to look after buyers with better price than current £699. She kept waffling ring was sold out in all sizes except n-o. After going on for few minutes, she suddenly went on to new pearl items without lowering price for diamond ring!!!!
Thought management must have decided if ring was sold out at £699, they would keep price and profit and not go lower.
She rang up CS to see if price was staying at £699 and found that not only was price same but that auction far from being sold out, all sizes were available!!! So Gems is still using dishonest tactics and inflated prices to move goods.
So glad Mum didn't buy that ring or believe Gems lies.

Mum watching auction on IF diamond ring just now (break from unending shoddy jade) and heard presenter repeatedly say she was goin' to look after buyers with better price than current £699. She kept waffling ring was sold out in all sizes except n-o. After going on for few minutes, she suddenly went on to new pearl items without lowering price for diamond ring!!!!
Thought management must have decided if ring was sold out at £699, they would keep price and profit and not go lower.
She rang up CS to see if price was staying at £699 and found that not only was price same but that auction far from being sold out, all sizes were available!!! So Gems is still using dishonest tactics and inflated prices to move goods.
I used to like watching the diamond shows on Gemporia - and unfortunately have bought a few of their diamonds. I'm sure I heard Angeline (I think) say that they never sell diamonds lower than SI graded (all of mine are I3!!!). Now it may be that she was talking about that particular location of diamond, Argyle or Canadian maybe but one thing I have noticed is that they will tell you the clarity of the diamond but not the colour (other than to say 'white') and vice versa on screen and you have to wait till you get your little plastic certificate to find out the truth.

I've now found Diamond Jewellery United and you can put your own preferences in for the item you want. They don't have much of a selection design wise but you know what you're buying, they're very reasonable prices too and their service is quick and all their diamonds come with a proper certification. So if you mother is looking for something in particular tell her to take a look on their website.

Hello I must admit I thought it was clear that £699 was Angeline's final price, I'm not sure how many were sold though ...

I used to like watching the diamond shows on Gemporia - and unfortunately have bought a few of their diamonds. I'm sure I heard Angeline (I think) say that they never sell diamonds lower than SI graded (all of mine are I3!!!). Now it may be that she was talking about that particular location of diamond, Argyle or Canadian maybe but one thing I have noticed is that they will tell you the clarity of the diamond but not the colour (other than to say 'white') and vice versa on screen and you have to wait till you get your little plastic certificate to find out the truth.

I've now found Diamond Jewellery United and you can put your own preferences in for the item you want. They don't have much of a selection design wise but you know what you're buying, they're very reasonable prices too and their service is quick and all their diamonds come with a proper certification. So if you mother is looking for something in particular tell her to take a look on their website.

It seems that Gemporia is becoming more and more similar to that crappy, Polish-language, Hungarian-owned channel Klejnot TV (aka Biżuteria Lux). A few years ago Klejnot TV (which belongs to Emporia Style Kft. aka Matavit Ltd.) was pretty nice. But look what we have now:

- extremelly inflated prices (silver items as expensive as gold jewellery elsewhere)
- blatant lies about the availability of products
- way too much gold overlays (instead of gold and silver)
- neverending, bizarre investment advices (e.g. advice to invest in gold-plated silver because "gold is a great investment")
- annoying, ignorant presenters who say a lot, but give no specifics ("Uh la la, my dear ladies...")
- confabulating or confused presenters who make up stories (e.g. "Napoleon Bonaparte gave a big pearl to Marie Antoinette")
- presenters who focus on the metaphysical properties of different gemstones, or who discuss random topics (religion, vaccines etc.)

It seems that Gemporia is becoming more and more similar to that crappy, Polish-language, Hungarian-owned channel Klejnot TV (aka Biżuteria Lux). A few years ago Klejnot TV (which belongs to Emporia Style Kft. aka Matavit Ltd.) was pretty nice. But look what we have now:

- extremelly inflated prices (silver items as expensive as gold jewellery elsewhere)
- blatant lies about the availability of products
- way too much gold overlays (instead of gold and silver)
- neverending, bizarre investment advices (e.g. advice to invest in gold-plated silver because "gold is a great investment")
- annoying, ignorant presenters who say a lot, but give no specifics ("Uh la la, my dear ladies...")
- confabulating or confused presenters who make up stories (e.g. "Napoleon Bonaparte gave a big pearl to Marie Antoinette")
- presenters who focus on the metaphysical properties of different gemstones, or who discuss random topics (religion, vaccines etc.)
Gemporia presenters used to refer to the supposed metaphysical properties of gems in passing but didn't ram it down your throat.

Now it's a given that, especially when Jainey's on, many of the presenters will give a totally bonkers lecture and act as if it's all proven fact. Which isn't at all disturbing.

If Gemporia wants to push gemstone woo and quackery, then I suggest they use their copious amounts of jade and dyed/filled gems and heal a few people live on air. If they're going to make random claims about their jewels, then let them prove them

Adina's just "made a mistake", and promised a silver and kunzite locket for under £30.00 instead of the £49.99 it "should" be. Cue a shot of the gallery with the badly acted reactions of the crew. But they're going to honour the slip. Naturally.

I really wish Gemporia would stop all this. We've all seen the presenters genuinely misspeak, and all they do there is quickly correct themselves and move on.

The ruses and bad acting don't make me want to trust a company that seems to think its viewers are idiots.

Gemporia presenters used to refer to the supposed metaphysical properties of gems in passing but didn't ram it down your throat.

Now it's a given that, especially when Jainey's on, many of the presenters will give a totally bonkers lecture and act as if it's all proven fact. Which isn't at all disturbing.

If Gemporia wants to push gemstone woo and quackery, then I suggest they use their copious amounts of jade and dyed/filled gems and heal a few people live on air. If they're going to make random claims about their jewels, then let them prove them[QUOTE="VapidStoat, post: 1085364, member:
I'm not really comfortable with the increased pushing of meditation stones, affirmation sets etc.from Jainey and Lynn in particular. I know it will be of interest/comfort to some folk, but it seems to play on peoples' insecurities, or even sadness, to make sales. These days there are far less caveats from presenters and much more active encouragement to believe that a set of meditation candles can lead to greater fulfilment and happiness 🙄

I'm not really comfortable with the increased pushing of meditation stones, affirmation sets etc.from Jainey and Lynn in particular. I know it will be of interest/comfort to some folk, but it seems to play on peoples' insecurities, or even sadness, to make sales. These days there are far less caveats from presenters and much more active encouragement to believe that a set of meditation candles can lead to greater fulfilment and happiness 🙄
I wonder how people would feel if they wandered into their local supermarket to pick up a few basic essentials, then got harangued by a staff member on the till desperate to share their beliefs with a captive audience.

Me? I would dump my basket and leave. Personal beliefs are exactly that: personal. And really shouldn't be inflicted upon uninterested strangers just wanting to shop.

Though at the same time Gemporia has monetised this stuff, which to me is worse. It's just more emotionally preying on people on a par with the "heirloom jewellery", but even more personal.

I saw Ellis talking about the supposed "metaphysical" properties of gems in a candle she was flogging. She started off by saying that she wasn't a believer, then went straight into a very biased lecture that Jainey would have been proud of.

I wonder how people would feel if they wandered into their local supermarket to pick up a few basic essentials, then got harangued by a staff member on the till desperate to share their beliefs with a captive audience.

Me? I would dump my basket and leave. Personal beliefs are exactly that: personal. And really shouldn't be inflicted upon uninterested strangers just wanting to shop.

Though at the same time Gemporia has monetised this stuff, which to me is worse. It's just more emotionally preying on people on a par with the "heirloom jewellery", but even more personal.

I saw Ellis talking about the supposed "metaphysical" properties of gems in a candle she was flogging. She started off by saying that she wasn't a believer, then went straight into a very biased lecture that Jainey would have been proud of.
A while ago I remember Ellis describing how reading a book recommended by Jainey 'changed her life' and there were viewers messaging in to ask whether it could help them through certain personal difficulties. Needless to say it was all very uncomfortable and without the understanding and 'wraparound' support I assume you would get from seeing a practitioner in person, sadly I can only see the impact for Gemporia remote customers being on the bank balance. Just another income stream for Gemporia which exploits it's customers' trust/loyalty, particularly those who may be vulnerable or distressed.

Well, it seems as if TJC is prepared to broadcast b*llocks to sell jewellery as well. Lynn & Ellis may be pushing chakras, affirmations etc but Marina has just been spouting absolute rubbish about seeking answers from the universe and that a plated silver ring, shaped like a star, is the answer to all your questions. Good grief.

Well, it seems as if TJC is prepared to broadcast b*llocks to sell jewellery as well. Lynn & Ellis may be pushing chakras, affirmations etc but Marina has just been spouting absolute rubbish about seeking answers from the universe and that a plated silver ring, shaped like a star, is the answer to all your questions. Good grief.
You can take the girl out of Bid.tv, but you can't take the Bid.tv out of the girl.

The sit-up channels were disgraceful. Peter Simon waxing lyrical over crappy ornaments called "worry angels", put Hong them directly at the poor, elderly and vulnerable, and behaving like they're the answer to a sad person's issues. And did the same thing with those horrific Thomas Kinkade prints

Quick confession. I am a Wiccan of 35 plus years standing. So I am into a lot of the stuff you call "bollocks". (Incidentally, I have no problem with you calling it that, each to their own and each to their own opinion.) However, it irks me a bit because often what they say is incorrect and it's obvious they haven't even bothered to do any research, just parrot - incorrectly - what they think might increase sales. It's all very surface-level and twee. To be frank, it comes across, even to me, as naff and "for the tourists". Anything for a sale I guess.

Has Ellis left ?
Just had a look at her Facebook page and the last time she posted anything was 16th March! It could be she's just having a month or so off to gather herself together. If, as I've seen on another thread, she has split from her husband she possibly needs time for herself.

Quick confession. I am a Wiccan of 35 plus years standing. So I am into a lot of the stuff you call "bollocks". (Incidentally, I have no problem with you calling it that, each to their own and each to their own opinion.) However, it irks me a bit because often what they say is incorrect and it's obvious they haven't even bothered to do any research, just parrot - incorrectly - what they think might increase sales. It's all very surface-level and twee. To be frank, it comes across, even to me, as naff and "for the tourists". Anything for a sale I guess.
Honestly? I really, really don't have any issues with belief systems that have a grounding in at least something - like Wicca. (Quick aside, my mother converted from Anglicanism to Catholicism and then started saying that Enya was "devil music". My first moment I thought that something was wrong.) I'm glad you haven't taken offence - none meant whatsoever. I don't actually think I'd call Wicca b*llocks anyway. Saying that "answers to questions you have can be found in the stars", now that is tosh in my opinion but saying it to sell a product is not on (as you & VapidStoat have said).

Just had a look at her Facebook page and the last time she posted anything was 16th March! It could be she's just having a month or so off to gather herself together. If, as I've seen on another thread, she has split from her husband she possibly needs time for herself.
I heard she has lost her voice, but she's been off for a while now, not like her to be off sick for this long

Latest posts

Back