Gold prices?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

TopazTrish

Registered Shopper
Looking for some advice or recommendations on selling gold pieces. Was recently trawling through my jewellery box and decided I'd more than enough rings (most of which gem set and bought from Gems TV) and some which I no longer like or wear particularly often, and most of them matching sets- rings, pendants and earrings. I approached a couple of jewellers and gold buyers in my area and was astonished at what they were offering for 9 carat gold. Whilst I realise they are not interested in the gems particularly, they all told me gold prices have fallen dramatically and I would be better taking the stones out and just weigh in the gold. I'm not prepared to do that and spoil what are essentially nice sets. I'm wondering why Gemporia.com are continuing to tell us gold is at an all time high price and that's why they are making a lot more jewellery in silver?
Do any of you peeps on this forum know what would be a fair price per gram for 9 carat gold to accept/expect and the best place or area to sell it? Or should I just hang on to it for a while and see if prices improve in the near future? It's only about 4 months ago they were offering double what they are now. Thanks in advance for any help
TopazTrish

If your pieces are really nice and you think that people will want them, you could try eBay as you'd get a better price than just scrap gold. This said, I made an absolute killing selling my gold diamonique after I'd popped the stones out - enough to buy me an ipad, which is what I wanted. NEVER use those gold envelopes - the prices are RUBBISH! Go online and look locally at what's being offered. Gold prices have only suffered a fall lately - its still a good price and I'd avoid any jeweller who said otherwise as it sounds like they want to pay you very little indeed. It's not true to say that gold prices are half of what they were 3 months ago - http://www.goldseek.com/quotes/charts/quarterlygoldchart.php dunno who's telling you that one.

9ct gold is around £8.30 - but my local jeweller offers £8.60 per gram. If you still have your Gems TV cards, it does show the gold weight of the item on the cards. A good weight of gold for a ring will probably be around 3-4 grams, could be more depending on design. Gems are not that heavy at all, so you could take a reasonable guess after weighing a bag on digital scales.

I know this was posted last month, but ditto what Dolly said. I tried to sell an Iliana 1 carat tanzanite + diamond ring (for which I'd paid £379 a few years ago) in Birmingham Jewellery Quarter and NO ONE wanted it, except for scrap gold. Only offer I got was £100 from a jewellers in the town centre. I wanted to sell it because I'd acquired a 4 carat tanz ring and didn't wear the 1ct any more. Finally I sold it on eBay for £400, so - minus their fees - I got back nearly what I paid for it. But this was when TJC's price for a similar ring had gone up to around £800!!

I really wonder what jewellery is actually "WORTH". They charge you a fortune to buy it, but if you want to sell - forget it! I mean what is gold actually "WORTH" when it's impossible to find anyone who will buy it off you at the supposed highest price???

Looking for some advice or recommendations on selling gold pieces. Was recently trawling through my jewellery box and decided I'd more than enough rings (most of which gem set and bought from Gems TV) and some which I no longer like or wear particularly often, and most of them matching sets- rings, pendants and earrings. I approached a couple of jewellers and gold buyers in my area and was astonished at what they were offering for 9 carat gold. Whilst I realise they are not interested in the gems particularly, they all told me gold prices have fallen dramatically and I would be better taking the stones out and just weigh in the gold. I'm not prepared to do that and spoil what are essentially nice sets. I'm wondering why Gemporia.com are continuing to tell us gold is at an all time high price and that's why they are making a lot more jewellery in silver?
Do any of you peeps on this forum know what would be a fair price per gram for 9 carat gold to accept/expect and the best place or area to sell it? Or should I just hang on to it for a while and see if prices improve in the near future? It's only about 4 months ago they were offering double what they are now. Thanks in advance for any help
TopazTrish

The price you receive for your gold will change daily depending on gold prices but you could try a few places before deciding.Unfortunately the majority of Gemporia items have little to no resale value apart from some higher end pieces and even then I would never,ever recommend spending much on anything from there due to constant reports of gems dropping out of settings and gold bands breaking due to lack of gold weight.I will always remember seeing Steve Bennett stating in an interview exactly how his business works,he stated that"Its not actual value that's important but perceived value" which is why they refer constantly to auction house prices and then compare themselves to those,lol!My advice to you for the future is to buy secondhand jewellery and that way you can be sure of good quality.

I have a number of rings brought early to the middle of this century when the gold weight was really good, 2+ up to 4+ grams of gold in rings. Now you are lucky to get 1.50 in a ring. A number of my rings bought second hand on eBay when 2008 crash happened and people selling stuff to get the money I have the guarantee cards that go with them. The thing is if you sell your gold for money in jewellers etc they only want the gold for scrap not interested in the gemstones so you need to discount the stones. Hence people selling on eBay at that time.

gold prices are so much high and most of the people are not be able to purchase it i refer you artificial than gold.

Latest posts

Back