Gower Cottage Brownies

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Shoosh14

Registered Shopper
I was looking at the Fortnum & Mason website (as you do) and saw the “amazing wonderful best ever” brownies for sale. Now I look at the QVC website I see they have suffered from the miraculous disappearing act that other brands have suffered in the past such as Aveda. I messaged Andi Peters who was by far their most avid admirer (who “discovered” the brand for his Food Fest) and stony silence so far.

No doubt gone the same way as Calico Cottage fudge kits. - which I loved, although can still be bought via their site. I wonder if perhaps QVC 'rates' have gone up so its no longer viable for these smaller ventures to sell. Also perhaps the larger long standing firms, aka Dyson, Kim & Co, Michelle Hopeless, Elemis, have much better deals because they're in a position to manufacture huge quantities.

No doubt gone the same way as Calico Cottage fudge kits. - which I loved, although can still be bought via their site. I wonder if perhaps QVC 'rates' have gone up so its no longer viable for these smaller ventures to sell. Also perhaps the larger long standing firms, aka Dyson, Kim & Co, Michelle Hopeless, Elemis, have much better deals because they're in a position to manufacture huge quantities.
I said before in another thread, many small companies use QVC as a starting board until they build up a customer base then move into real stores and drop QVC. Or they are not selling well and QVC no longer want them.

Aveda left because they were bought out by Estee Lauder who did not want the brand on QVC.

I had a peruse on Gower Cottage's own website the other day. It seems that, in common with many foodie producers, their online orders have been manic - and they are having to limit how many orders they can take in a single day. Perhaps that has had an effect on their ability to fulfil QVC orders.

I've followed these Brownies for a long time. She started off doing local shows, then only doing big shows, then the Good Food shows at the NEC, moved to Q. The woman has a good business plan, I can't knock her for it.

I do like the brownies, but can't cope with all the different bits added. Or "messed about with" as some would say.

Why do you expect brands or products to sty at QVC , I decided many years ago not to rely on stuff was only available with them after many disappearing.
Wise advice!
A) Q only stuff disappearing can make quite expensive items useless at a stroke.
B) Q only means you cannot compare to see if you're getting a good deal.

All the people still asking where certain brands are, when are they coming back...years after the brand has left Q, has gone bust, stopped selling in UK... a waste of time and energy, imo.

I don't like chocolate but love brownies & have always baked my own. They are easy to make, can be adapted to include many extras & I've never had a failure so I can't understand why anyone would buy them.

Have you got a good recipe? Can you share? Pretty please?? I've lost mine and desperate for a moist gooey dark choc fix.

You are right they are easy but need a good instruction list.

Double Chocolate Brownies
175g unsalted butter
250g dark chocolate
250g caster sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
150g plain flour
150g walnuts or pecans -toasted & roughly chopped
200g milk chocolate chips or roughly chopped chocolate
or 350g of chocolate for those who don't like or can't eat nuts
Temperature - 180C/160fan/gas 4
30cm x 20cm baking tin lined with baking parchment
Melt butter & dark chocolate together over pan of simmering water or in microwave on low, stir until smooth & leave to cool a little.
Whisk sugar & eggs together until pale & thick.
Mix in vanilla, melted butter & chocolate.
Sift in flour & fold in with nuts & chocolate chips - I dust these with a tiny amount of flour before combining them to prevent sinkage.
Pour batter into tin & bake for 20-25 minutes, depending on the heat of your oven.
Half way through I take the tin out of the oven & tap it down firmly on top of the hob, this tip was from Ina Garten (The Barefoot Contessa) who says it adds to the density of the bake!

Latest posts

Back