Has QVC lost its Sparkle...or bigger and better than ever!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Glittergirl

Registered Shopper
I still enjoy the odd show but recently have found myself watching less and less. Has it lost some of its sparkle and become rather mundane and repetitive?

A lot of my friends used to big fans and now they hardly watch it either. Obviously a theme here.

Anyone else agree or disagree? Got me thinking and we would definitely re vamp certain aspects of it :mysmilie_12:

Once upon a time I bought so much that I was embarrassed every time my postie used to say "only a couple of wee parcels for your wife today"

Now I only watch once in a blue moon and shows I am interested are often passed over if the presenter is one of the unbearable ones.

For me it is the reduction in choice, constant TSVs of the same brand, never ending beauty shows and the presenters becoming more awful at each outing.

It lost its sparkle long ago. I rarely watch and used to have it on in the background if working at home. Now I am just bored with the repeat brand TSVs, their fashion is a joke, jewellery overpriced and boring, many of the beauty brands old and tired.

I'm sure for some it's become even more wonderful... but although I "joined" QVC much later than many on here, I would say I've seen a real decline even during my time watching.

It's become narrower, duller, more aggressive, and more arrogant. Alongside that it's become less competitive and their information presented on all platforms is sloppier. Instead of raising their game in the face of more and more sophisticated online retailing, they have sat back on their laurels and repeated statements about the value they offer which no longer stand up well to close scrutiny. It's a shame as to have trustworthy, good value sources of online shopping sources is invaluable for many people who are limited in where they can shop due to illness, disability or carer roles... When I started watching, I was able to discover great brands I'd either never heard of or didn't know much about, and QVC gave me the confidence to try those brands. Nowadays they just don't seem to do that. Their "discoveries" are all either by following zelebs' lives or picking up on the occasional bloggers talent spotting of brands.

It's no longer fun to watch... and far too many presenters who were once a pleasure to watch have degenerated into rude, aggressive, hectoring bores perpetually tethered to an i-pad reading out trivial tweets and twitpix which do nothing to inform any sort of "presentation" of a product that may be happening. It's now become imperative to check the tv guide before switching on QVC for me to avoid nasty surprising when switching on.

QVC now seems to only be interested in the "instant" buyer, rather than the researcher who wants to think about buying later. Previously they seemed to also value those not buying during the next 60 minutes, but no more.

I used to watch alot , and more recently on in background with sound turned down, but now I hardly even with it on!
I have been with them since the beginning!

I hardly ever have it on now, just the occasional, very rare, gadget or DIY shows.

Their decline into sameness has saved me lots of money.

Anything over 23 years that's the same thing day in, day out will lose its sparkle. QVC haven't evolved in all that time, still expensive, slow delivery and even more painfully slow refunds. The new generation of shoppers that have the world of shopping at their finger tips and who've never not known the Internet will shop around first, just as I started doing a few years ago, and let's face it, if you've got a choice between free delivery and cheaper goods, or £5.95 delivery waiting best part of a week to get it, you're going to go with free and cheaper aren't you? well I know I would. QVC are technically QVC USA so any shortfalls will be covered by them, the parent group, if it wasn't and QVCUK had to support themselves I bet they'd soon change eh?

I hardly ever watch a show because I can`t bear many of their presenters and their selling styles. Not to mention the high prices, ridiculous p and p and lack of choice. A beauty expert who can`t do her own makeup properly, a couple of would be authors who are so far up their own backsides they`re wearing it as a hat, stylists who dress people worse than Worzel Gummidge, buyers who must be blind, deaf and dumb to bring some of the Yankee trash they call fashion, smarmy male presenters who are middle aged Lotharios, the same old brands time and time again and the many contradictions from one programme to the next which simply proves they will say anything to sell. I have no faith whatsoever in Q, its presenters nor its goods. I buy far more for my £ elsewhere and far nicer stuff to boot.

I occasionally flick Q on when there's something really irritating on the other channels or the news is in doom and despondency mode. I treat it as something to laugh at. I can't see the point of actually buying much from them when we have Amazon et al. offering much better prices, fast delivery and prepaid returns.

I sometimes think it needs Mary Portas to shake them out of their staid, samey boringness. The obsession with social media is the one thing they need to address - far from being inclusive it is alienating to, I suspect, 99% of the audience.

I have a new appreciation for Q's presenters after landing on IW's moissanite show. I have no idea who the older guy was, but he made me cringe for the younger guy (Tom?), presenting with him - and the rest of the crew. It was embarrassing to watch.

Is this the norm for IW? I don't usually watch, but landed on it while channel surfing, and stayed for the moissanite - as long as I could bear and with the volume off! (Magpie n a former life.)

Peter Simon is the presenter on IW . Was on Bid TV. There are many threads about his awfulness.

Has Q lost its sparkle ?i think if you are a new customer you may be enthused but it has worn off for me and I don't watch very often certainly not whole shows .They have lost their sense of humour and no spontaneity is allowed.

The same items over and over become boring and like most things repetition is not very stimulating.I don't know what they can do about it because there are too many other good shopping outlets online. as they keep saying thousands of new customers join each week so we on here are probably not representative as a whole.

Never watch even if I am buying something. I have bought 9 items in the last 12 months so still a regular shopper

image.jpg
Just found this old image of QVC presenters before the days of the iPad :mysmilie_17:

I used to love watching QVC and would often chat with a work colleague about the shows,products and presenters. We both admit we hardly ever watch now because of unbearable presenters, shows and too much hard sell. I know at the end of the day selling is what they are there to do but it used to feel like you were watching old friends rather than a shopping channel, l suppose more of a lifestyle channel. The presenters are just appalling now and some I cannot watch at all no matter what they are presenting.

I used to enjoy watching but now only do so when there's nothing else on tv that takes my fancy. I find the constant plugging of presenters' latest books, blogs etc a complete turn off. I really don't want to be part of their life anywhere other than on tv and why would anyone want to tweet them while they're live on air, just to get their name mentioned, is beyond me. They couldn't care less about any of the buyers other than to boost their sales so why some viewers regard a telly selly person as someone who could be their friend in real life is quite sad really. I don't care about their life beyond Q and don't need to know anything about it.

It's the presenters that put me off too. Even most of the 'long termers' get on my wick now. I used to really enjoy Julia Roberts but she's changed her presenting style in some way, not for the better. Ali K is so shouty and mile-a-minute now that it's impossible to understand what's being said about the product. Simon Biagi and Dale have become more and more cheesy and insincere - clearly the producers have created them as the alpha males of the channel !

To be honest, I like only Charlie for his laid-back style and how he lets the guests get on with their presentations. Debbie Flint I have to watch because I'm fascinated by her awfulness. If anyone wanted to see a charicature of a market stall holder look no further.

I like Jackie, she's not shouty and asks useful questions.

As for the range of products and brands, I think they've definitely got worse. I discovered QVC when I was on long term sick leave and I remember clearly that it was 3 months before the same items came round again. Nowadays they never seem to go away.

Shame about crafts, presumably they weren't profitable. Beauty is understandable as it must be the most profitable.

Thing is, it's impossible for us to judge because we can't see their balance sheet - the current ranges, personalities etc might be the most profitable combo/formula.

(Sorry that was long, précis never was my strong point !).

The answer to the first part of your question is a resounding YES..... I used to watch loads of Q but now I rarely watch at all. I tend to look at the website to see if there is anything I want to buy and then I may put the channel on TV to watch a demo etc. I rarely turn the sound on and usually check prices elsewhere before I buy anything.

Latest posts

Back