Hate, hate, hate uneven hems

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Hate, hate, hate uneven hems

I agree, and imo the cold shoulder is just as bad. The other thing I abhor is the harem trousers,all that material wafting around your legs look clown like to me.

Uneven ,shark bite ,asymmetrical ,I dislike them all.
It annoys me when they go on about how they cover up and disguise all the bits we don't like.In my opinion they accentuate them.

I've got a fabulous photo taken in the early 80s of dear friend Phoebe in a glam handkerchief hem vintage dress she found in a charity shop and it's beautiful. So why are the current batch of shark bites so wide of the mark? Maybe the hankie hem only works at calf level and worn by a 20 something?

I was at a birthday party on Saturday night and there was a lady there who dressed a la QVC style. She wasn`t very tall , in her late 40`s I`d say, quite chubby and she was wearing a black baggy shapeless top with an asymetric hem, baggy trouser things kind of harem style also in black and high silver shoes she was obviously struggling to walk in. I daresay she`s a lovely lady but when she was dancing she resembled a black crow in full flight with her top and baggy trousers flapping around her. The whole outfit simply made her look as wide as she was tall and sadly did her no favours. When will q realise not everybody is 5ft 10 and slim and if something looks dire on a model then it`s going to look 10 times worse on a regular person ?

Laziness on QVC's part. They don't need to ensure hems are straight or the 'correct' length for the garment style and the customer. Also as I keep saying, they don't cut flare on the bias which is needed to give a proper 'drape' and hang. Cutting on the bias uses far more fabric than cutting any which way in order to squeeze as many garments as poss from a piece of fabric. This also means garments have seams where you wouldn't expect them.

Ditto with dolman sleeves - removes the need to get shoulders and upper arms to fit properly and means sleeve length is not so important.

I've got a fabulous photo taken in the early 80s of dear friend Phoebe in a glam handkerchief hem vintage dress she found in a charity shop and it's beautiful. So why are the current batch of shark bites so wide of the mark? Maybe the hankie hem only works at calf level and worn by a 20 something?

I remember the handkerchief hem .I wasn't a great fan but they were mid calf length and the best one i ever saw was at a wedding ,a young lady was wearing the dress with spaghetti straps and a beautiful beaded bodice. The whole thing looked good on her.

I remember I was newly married and my husband remarked how much he liked it and I was a bit miffed because it wasn't my style. She looked good though.

I see on arsebook they are complaining about the price of the average "fashion" item and one poster sang the praises of M Hope - couldn't get enough of them!

I see on arsebook they are complaining about the price of the average "fashion" item and one poster sang the praises of M Hope - couldn't get enough of them!

Can't get enough of M Hope?! :mysmilie_15:

They complain about the prices yet still hang around, why?! why?!. why?!. :mysmilie_13:

Laziness on QVC's part. They don't need to ensure hems are straight or the 'correct' length for the garment style and the customer. Also as I keep saying, they don't cut flare on the bias which is needed to give a proper 'drape' and hang. Cutting on the bias uses far more fabric than cutting any which way in order to squeeze as many garments as poss from a piece of fabric. This also means garments have seams where you wouldn't expect them.

Ditto with dolman sleeves - removes the need to get shoulders and upper arms to fit properly and means sleeve length is not so important.

Perhaps the reason why the vintage dresses do hang so much better(in my opinion )is that they are cut on the bias when necessary to provide the correct hang and swing to the garment .Also,the bottom hems are sewn unlike many which are just overlocked nowadays. They don't have weight to hang properly .Sewn hems only seem to be found on more expensive clothes.I do agree that a lot of clothes are cut for quantity -unfortunately not quality.

Last edited:
Perhaps the reason why the vintage dresses do hang so much better(in my opinion )is that they are cut on the bias when necessary to provide the correct hang and swing to the garment .Also,the bottom hems are sewn unlike many which are just overlocked nowadays. They don't have weight to hang properly .Sewn hems only seem to be found on more expensive clothes.I do agree that a lot of clothes are cut for quantity -unfortunately not quality.

It's not as if these cheaply made clothes are cheap on QVC. I can get a decent top in John Lewis for less than the price of one from QVC's prestigious ranges !

Latest posts

Back