Have you ever left a show in the interval?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

One in particular that I can remember was the late Jake Thackray, who was playing The Stables in MK in the mid-1990s. Fantastic lyricist and a great observer of the human species, which of course, was so imprinted upon those said lyrics, backed up by his skilled and quirky guitar playing. Unfortunately, I got to see him about twenty years too late, and on the night, pre show, he was standing in the reception area with a pint in his hand, talking to Cleo Laine, and I was about ten feet away perhaps. He had a sports jacket and cream slacks on as I recall. Sadly, the cream slacks had changed to a watery colour around the flies area, and my suspicion was he hadn’t quite emptied himself fully on the return of his Hampton Wick to the underpants depot. A worrying sight, both in the sense of drinking publicly before a performance, and the aforementioned stained trousers issue. Nonetheless, we sat down in the small auditorium and waited for him to start. which after an embarrassingly long wait, he did. After an inordinate amount of posturing on a chair, coughing, spluttering, looking extremely uncomfortable with some equally uneasy repartee, he cranked up his instrument and finally began to perform. Half an hour later, at half time, we got up and left. It must have been clear we had gone as there were probably only about fifty people or so there, and our two empty chairs, near the front, would have stood out like bulldog’s boll….But very sadly, at least on this particular night, he was terrible, and just couldn’t do it any longer. It was painful to watch, and I had to go.

One in particular that I can remember was the late Jake Thackray, who was playing The Stables in MK in the mid-1990s. Fantastic lyricist and a great observer of the human species, which of course, was so imprinted upon those said lyrics, backed up by his skilled and quirky guitar playing. Unfortunately, I got to see him about twenty years too late, and on the night, pre show, he was standing in the reception area with a pint in his hand, talking to Cleo Laine, and I was about ten feet away perhaps. He had a sports jacket and cream slacks on as I recall. Sadly, the cream slacks had changed to a watery colour around the flies area, and my suspicion was he hadn’t quite emptied himself fully on the return of his Hampton Wick to the underpants depot. A worrying sight, both in the sense of drinking publicly before a performance, and the aforementioned stained trousers issue. Nonetheless, we sat down in the small auditorium and waited for him to start. which after an embarrassingly long wait, he did. After an inordinate amount of posturing on a chair, coughing, spluttering, looking extremely uncomfortable with some equally uneasy repartee, he cranked up his instrument and finally began to perform. Half an hour later, at half time, we got up and left. It must have been clear we had gone as there were probably only about fifty people or so there, and our two empty chairs, near the front, would have stood out like bulldog’s boll….But very sadly, at least on this particular night, he was terrible, and just couldn’t do it any longer. It was painful to watch, and I had to go.
That's really sad, but I don't blame you for going, I think I would've done too. I've said before that I've sat through performances that I've not been enjoying simply because I'm in company. If you're with your partner or a family member I think it's a lot easier to be honest and broach the subject of shall we stay or shall we go? In company, you feel obliged to grin and bear it for the sake of the other person, (even though they could be grinning and bearing it because of you). Many years ago, Gaby Roslin on the Big Breakfast staged a one woman campaign to bring Dean Friedman back into limelight. Now I loved his stuff when I was a teenager. He actually contacted the programme and told Gabby that he's stopped making records but was working on other musical projects, however after some cajoling he actually came over to the uk and appeared on the show and did a few gigs around the country. Brighton was on the list - I was very excited. I asked some of my friends if they'd like to go and they weren't keen, asked my now ex husband, he gave a resounding no. I didn't really want to go on my own. Cut a long story short hubby's mate agreed to go with me as he said he liked his stuff, so tickets bought and I couldn't wait.
Concert again was in a very intimate venue and thankfully mostly full and we were in the second row back - we could see the whites of his eyes. Jim (hubby's mate) was smiling, tapping his feet and applauding rapturously throughout the first half, I was loving it. Then came the interval, Dean said right grab yourself a drink i'll be back in 20 minutes and he left the stage. With that Jim got up from his seat and said "Right, I'm off now, see you later" "eh?" I said and he replied "Not really my scene I'm afraid, see you soon" and off he went! I was flabberghasted and quite upset that he was prepared to leave me on my own, the least he could've done is buy me a ****** drink and discussed his reasons in a civilised manner or just stuck it out! I got myself a drink and sat awkwardly waiting for the second half, which was brilliant. At the end of the concert he said feel free to come and meet me after the show for a chat and I'll sign your programmes and my new cassette if you would like to purchase it, but if you just wanna say Hi feel free. I did actually buy the cassette, I met Dean but it felt awkward especially when he asked "Hey, what happened to your mate?" I told him he had diarrhoea! First thing I could think of OMG!!!! I was pretty miffed with his unchivalrous behaviour and so was hubby as not only had he left me in the lurch I had to make my own way home on a dark night, ok not a big problem well lit town near bus stop etc but very unchivalrous behaviour. This is why I grin and bear stuff!

I remember her campaign, merryone. I saw the BB interview and then him, possibly on that very comeback tour in the mid-1990s. I went with my first wife, when he played Woughton Campus in Milton Keynes. A cosy little venue, it was. With plastic wine bottles with some sort of fake candle burning inside them on the two person tables instead of rows of seats. My wife had gone along somewhat pleasantly grudgingly, as he wasn’t her cup of tea, and however much an unwilling participate fakes it, at in this case, a concert, it always puts a dampener on things. Still, that was the story of our entire relationship- not just for Dean Friedman concerts!

As for the concert itself - brilliant. He did all the great stuff, including my personal favourite, Lydia, and a spellbinding acoustic guitar and him version of Woman of Mine. As an aside, these were the long before the days of finding virtually any song recorded online in a couple of clicks. This was when if you wanted a long deleted single, you had get on your ‘bike’ and look for it. As I did, driving to Croydon to the much missed Beanos Records to find a copy there.

The thing about Dean was and is he is such a personable and warm approachable guy. Not just a superbly intuitive, clever lyricist, and skilled musician. Somebody who would actually contact you directly if you made some enquiry via his website. Have never forgotten seeing him play.

I remember her campaign, merryone. I saw the BB interview and then him, possibly on that very comeback tour in the mid-1990s. I went with my first wife, when he played Woughton Campus in Milton Keynes. A cosy little venue, it was. With plastic wine bottles with some sort of fake candle burning inside them on the two person tables instead of rows of seats. My wife had gone along somewhat pleasantly grudgingly, as he wasn’t her cup of tea, and however much an unwilling participate fakes it, at in this case, a concert, it always puts a dampener on things. Still, that was the story of our entire relationship- not just for Dean Friedman concerts!

As for the concert itself - brilliant. He did all the great stuff, including my personal favourite, Lydia, and a spellbinding acoustic guitar and him version of Woman of Mine. As an aside, these were the long before the days of finding virtually any song recorded online in a couple of clicks. This was when if you wanted a long deleted single, you had get on your ‘bike’ and look for it. As I did, driving to Croydon to the much missed Beanos Records to find a copy there.

The thing about Dean was and is he is such a personable and warm approachable guy. Not just a superbly intuitive, clever lyricist, and skilled musician. Somebody who would actually contact you directly if you made some enquiry via his website. Have never forgotten seeing him play.
Thanks Duke of Cheese, you've really brought back some music memories, and it's great to find someone who loved the same music as I did back in the day. It was my friend Jen who got me into Dean Friedman originally, I loved the song Lucky stars and I bought the single. Jen however, bought the album which made me realise that his other songs were pretty damned good too, especially "well well said the rocking chair" managed to tape it thanks to some outdated tech from the good old 1970's. She fell in love with the music of Gordon Giltrap when he released an instrumental in the late 70's and persuaded me to go to a concert with her at the Brighton Dome, I enjoyed it ok, but she was utterly smitten. Fast forward a year or two when we attended the Greenbelt music festival with the youth club we belonged to. We were walking around the stalls when all of a sudden she said look isn't that Gordon Giltrap over there? I said yeah...lets go an talk to him, she said no I look a right state, so I said I don't care I'll talk to him. Jenny had been banging on about his new album which I thought she said was called Phoenix party. So I approached him and said "Hi, are you Gordon Giltrap" he said yes, so I told him my mate over there absolutely loves you, she's got all your records and she loves your new album Phoenix party, she plays it all the time- He told me it's called peacocks party and it's not actually been released yet! Then somebody came along and distracted him so off he went. I told Jen about our exchange and she was mortified. She still loves him to this day and is in his fanclub and posts on his facebook page..oh happy days!

Yes, Lucky Stars - great track. I got hold of that and two other of his singles at Beanos Records years later. Also got his Best Of CD. Lucky Stars was what he sung with Gaby on The Big Breakfast. As I said, such an accommodating and gracious guy. We went to see Adam Ant in Nottingham last year. Musically, in terms of the quality of his performance, he was fantastic - particularly for a guy who’s pushing 70. But he has so little conversation in him. Very little audience interaction at all and essentially you felt he just wanted to rattle through the songs, get paid and go home. Whereas, with Dean, he included the audience throughout and spoke at length between songs. Donny Osmond is another person who interacts so well and so warmly with his audience. Giving his all when me and my late wife (her idol) saw him at the Motorpoint Arena in Nottingham back in 2019. Was so glad she got her chance to see him then, because in less than two years after that she was dead at 57.

Great guitarist, Gordon Giltrap. Still around and still playing today, I believe. He did the theme to the BBC Holiday programme during the late ‘70s. Heartsong, I think it was called. He had a chart hit with it, too - in 77 or 78?

Yes, Lucky Stars - great track. I got hold of that and two other of his singles at Beanos Records years later. Also got his Best Of CD. Lucky Stars was what he sung with Gaby on The Big Breakfast. As I said, such an accommodating and gracious guy. We went to see Adam Ant in Nottingham last year. Musically, in terms of the quality of his performance, he was fantastic - particularly for a guy who’s pushing 70. But he has so little conversation in him. Very little audience interaction at all and essentially you felt he just wanted to rattle through the songs, get paid and go home. Whereas, with Dean, he included the audience throughout and spoke at length between songs. Donny Osmond is another person who interacts so well and so warmly with his audience. Giving his all when me and my late wife (her idol) saw him at the Motorpoint Arena in Nottingham back in 2019. Was so glad she got her chance to see him then, because in less than two years after that she was dead at 57.

Great guitarist, Gordon Giltrap. Still around and still playing today, I believe. He did the theme to the BBC Holiday programme during the late ‘70s. Heartsong, I think it was called. He had a chart hit with it, too - in 77 or 78?
So glad that your wife got to see her idol. My idol(s) were the Bay City Rollers and I was about 54 when I finally got to see them, obviously not the full line up but with Les McKeown so that was good enough for me. My record buying years/dance hall days were the 80's but if I'm honest it was the music of the 1970's that did it for me. I liked Adam and the Ants, Culture club, Spandau ballet (probably my favourite from the 80s), Duran Duran etc, but to me nothing beats the disco sounds of Earth Wind and Fire, Donna Summer, I loved ELO, Blondie, so many! The 70's had so much more going for it, the glam rock, the punk, prog rock & the metal . I go to an 80's festival every year with friends and wish I could wave a magic wand and turn it into a 70's festival. I think it's generally agreed that the 80's was the best for music, hence all the festivals, but I really have to disagree!
Some of my music tastes were a bit out there, not now 'cause I'm nearly 60 so nobody bats an eyelid, but at as a teenager I loved folk music as much as anything else, I also had an album of church organ music I used play eg Bach toccata and fugue and my friends used to think I was nuts!
I pretty much stopped buying records in the 90s and nowadays I haven't a clue what's what. I appreciate Adele's a good singer but her stuff leaves me cold, like most of today's stuff. I like the odd thing I hear on the radio at work, but couldn't tell you who was singing it!

So glad that your wife got to see her idol. My idol(s) were the Bay City Rollers and I was about 54 when I finally got to see them, obviously not the full line up but with Les McKeown so that was good enough for me. My record buying years/dance hall days were the 80's but if I'm honest it was the music of the 1970's that did it for me. I liked Adam and the Ants, Culture club, Spandau ballet (probably my favourite from the 80s), Duran Duran etc, but to me nothing beats the disco sounds of Earth Wind and Fire, Donna Summer, I loved ELO, Blondie, so many! The 70's had so much more going for it, the glam rock, the punk, prog rock & the metal . I go to an 80's festival every year with friends and wish I could wave a magic wand and turn it into a 70's festival. I think it's generally agreed that the 80's was the best for music, hence all the festivals, but I really have to disagree!
Some of my music tastes were a bit out there, not now 'cause I'm nearly 60 so nobody bats an eyelid, but at as a teenager I loved folk music as much as anything else, I also had an album of church organ music I used play eg Bach toccata and fugue and my friends used to think I was nuts!
I pretty much stopped buying records in the 90s and nowadays I haven't a clue what's what. I appreciate Adele's a good singer but her stuff leaves me cold, like most of today's stuff. I like the odd thing I hear on the radio at work, but couldn't tell you who was singing it!
I was a teenager in the 70’s and I was taken back there over Christmas. We’d gone away for a few days and were in a pub for lunch one day and the soundtrack was all 70’s music and I was wallowing in nostalgia. I asked the bar staff about the music choice and the very young (to me at least) said she chose itbecause she loved the stuff from then. She said it was a compilation from Spotify.
I was also a Bay City Rollers fan. I loved Alan.
Never had the means or opportunity to see bands when I was younger so making up for it now.
Last year we saw The Stranglers, Dennis Loccoriere (Dr Hook), Queen with Adam, and Robbie Williams.
All excellent shows.
Went to Billy Joel’s shows in Manchester and Wembley pre pandemic and he was so good. After the Wembley show, everyone on the tube was singing the songs he didn’t have time to do. Brilliant uplifting stuff.
OH is keeping an eye out for ELO and hoping they’ll go on tour again.
This Saturday we’re off to a local theatre to see a Meat Loaf/Jim Steinman tribute show. I love a bit of the Loaf.

I saw an excellent ELO tribute, which I vidoed part of it and put an excrpt on my youtube channel, I'll see if I can find it.
I did a whole video of them, but all I could find was the bassist singing falsetto, so most of this excerpt is him - - -

It won't play here, yet it does on other platforms

I did a whole video of them, but all I could find was the bassist singing falsetto, so most of this excerpt is him - - -

It won't play here, yet it does on other platforms
Thanks, Stratobuddy. These were actually at our local theatre last Saturday, but by the time OH had ummed and aahhed it had sold out!.
We shall know for next time.

My favorite decade for music was the 1960s. About ten years behind my time as my growing up years were the '70s to the early 1980s.

Growing up in a two bed claustrophobic small flat in Crouch End, I was an only child stuck with an agoraphobic mum and a drunken, frequently out of work and violent at times dad who was rarely at home. Music was very important for me to try to keep happy and to smile to. Mum loved all types of music from pop, rock and roll, classical and light opera. She was well into her 30s in their moptop phase, but she loved the music of The Beatles, and listening to her worn out 45s playing day in day out was where I first heard and loved them.

Listening to those records she played from the aforementioned Fab Four to Gilbert and Sullivan, Mozart to Adam Faith, to The Seekers, and watching her sing and dance to them was one of the few happy childhood memories I can muster from those uncertain and at times, lonely and frightening periods of my childhood. In more general musical terms the Sixties produced so much innovative and groundbreaking popular music - Motown, Stax, Reggae, Merseybeat, Psychedelic music, and wonderfully melodic and lyrically creative bands like The Kinks, The Hollies, The Moody Blues, and so many more. For me, much as I enjoyed what the 70s and some of the 80s offered, the 1960s brought so much more to the table in quality of songs and awe-inspiring performers who learnt their trade the hard way and could really play.

On this page you will always see multiple posts about Buddy Holly . Not only out of respect for his immense talent, but also because we feel he is the most important influence on both The Beatles and The Beach Boys.

It was Buddy’s influence that showed John Lennon that a kid that wore glasses could be a rock star. That coupled with the fact that he showed John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and George Harrison that an average teenager from a place like Lubbock, Texas could write, perform and play rock and roll music.

As far as The Beach Boys go all you have to do is look at Brian Wilson. One of the main reasons that the executives at Capitol Records allowed him to produced The Beach Boys’ records at such a young age is because Buddy Holly proved it could be done years earlier.

In many ways it’s a shame that Buddy spent most of his short career fighting for the things that would help rock and roll music to thrive in the decades to come.
They told him only producers can produce music, not musicians.
He proved them wrong.

They told him that a four piece band consisting of two guitars (rhythm and lead), a stand up bass, and drums wasn’t enough instrumentation to create a hit record.
He proved them wrong

They told him that songwriters only wrote songs, and musicians only played music. You can’t do both.
He proved them wrong.

They told him he would never become a rock and roll star because you had to be good looking like Elvis Presley. Plus he could never make it by wearing glasses.
He proved them wrong.

They told him orchestral arrangements and double tracking vocals in rock music could never work.
He proved them wrong.

They told him that no one from a one horse town by the name of Lubbock, Texas could ever become famous. You had to be from a big city like Los Angeles or New York.
He proved them wrong.

They told him that no musician had the right to question a record label about copyrights, promotion, or ownership of one’s music.
He proved them wrong.

It took only 22 years on this earth for a young man from the town of Lubbock, Texas by the name of Charles Hardin Holley, who would become known as the now legendary Buddy Holly to become the most important creative force in early Rock And Roll music.
Hard to believe that we are coming up on the tragic 64th (yes it’s almost been 64 years) anniversary of his death in a plane crash, which would become known as Rock And Roll music’s first tragedy.

The blueprint that Buddy (the first rock and roll musician to write, arrange, produce, and perform his own music) left behind is probably the most important reason that rock music has survived as long as it has. As Buddy proved the genre needed innovation, and artists willing to take creative risks.

On behalf of every fan of Rock And Roll music we thank you for everything Buddy.
YOU ARE THE TRUE KING OF ROCK AND ROLL MUSIC !

BH with Ed Sullivan.jpg

Another "beam me up Scotty" moment last night (wish it was only a moment) Friend treated me and hubby to tickets to their local pantomime. We've been a few times, first time it was ****** brilliant, hubby didn't go that time but I thought he'd have enjoyed it so I suggested him came along the following year. We went last year, and despite it not being so good, I enjoyed it, but I could tell that hubby was hating it, this was putting me on edge and I was becoming aware that it was long winded and I couldn't wait for it to finish. At the end of the show friend asked hubby "well what did you think?" Of course he said "brilliant, really enjoyable" just to keep the peace. I'm sure he could've said something along the lines of "Sorry, it wasn't really for me, but it was great seeing you enjoying yourselves so much" without offending anybody. In doing this my friend believed that buying us tickets for this year's panto for Christmas was a great present. Unfortunately this years production was terrible, and hubby was clearly hating it sitting with his head in his hands for most of the performance, thankfully my mate didn't notice, but it made me feel really on edge. The performance started at 7.30 and at 9.15 we were still enduring the first half. Unfortunately they padded out the show with literally every character singing a solo, and some of the singers were appalling, truly appalling, though to be fair one girl was so good, she could've been in the West end. The slapstick was minimal that's what panto's all about to me. Hopefully next year they won't buy us tickets. I'll be happy to go on my own with them, but I'm going to have to be straight up honest and tell them hubby doesn't want to go. It didn't finish till 10.30! Great value for money though I'll give them that but would've been happy to leave in the interval!

I'm not sure why I posted #36 above, but it does explain where my forum name comes from.

For anyone who doesn't play guitar or is too young, that is a Fender STRATOcaster guitar played by BUDDY Holly, on the live TV Ed Sullivan show in the USA.

He was one of the first people to use a Strat, and after seeing it, Cliff Richard ordered one for Hank Marvin, the first in the UK. And the rest is history, as they say!

OMG, It happened again. Tuesday cinema club saw a film I liked the sound of though I didn't read the synopsis in any great detail. I went along with a friend and it was the most boring/weird film I have ever seen in my entire life, and I didn't think that was humanly possible. Me and my friend decided that we wouldn't walk out because it was so bad we felt we needed to stick it out to see if anything actually was going to happen. Bloke in the row in front of us fell asleep, his head dropped and you could hear him snoring! You could hear quite a few yawns echoing around, and there was a number of walk outs. My friend an I were actually laughing as the film just got weirder and weirder. There was NO story. It was called "Aftersun" and is critically acclaimed. My friend popped to toilet before we set off home and I asked a lady who came out behind us " Hope you don't mind me asking but what did you think of that film" "Pants" was her reply - Love it!

Latest posts

Back