Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Season's Greetings one and all.

I hope whatever you are doing, wherever you are that you are healthy and contented. I am working all over Christmas but have a nice break coming up from New Year. I like working in the unit at Christmas, it's a good atmosphere. We sing to our patients, even those who are asleep, probably just as well given my singing voice!

Love to you all xx

Happy Christmas to everyone from Torchbuddy - - - EDIT- - - I'd forgotten my name ;)

I am hoping to go to OH's next week, if not locked down.

Just got some Covid tests as I have cold-like symptoms, which could now be an indication of omicron apparently. But I won't take a test until I am about to go to OH.

If I take a test now, and it is positive, I will have to isolate BY LAW until after xmas, not even allowed outside the door. But I've had the symptoms for over a week, so hopefully just a cold, but if it is covid, a test should be clear by next week. Obviously, I would not visit OH if positive.

By the way, re turkeygate (I bought turkey slices for xmas day, but OH wasn't pleased) so she's ordered a fresh turkey crown from her local butchers (and now they are back in stock at Lidl!!). I ate 12 of the turkey slices myself and they were delicious.

BTW the tests are a real pain to get now. You used to just ask the pharmacy for them, now you have to go online and go through lots of palaver (including them texting and emailing you codes you have to type in) to get a long complicated code, which you have to take to the pharmacy to collect a test. There are none available to order by

I got tests from the local pharmacy yesterday. Just walked in and asked and was given two boxes.

Ps - the logic of your not wanting to do a covid test in case its positive is kind of evading me if i’m honest - I’m hoping that as you clearly have a concern it could be covid, you’re not going out in public and risking passing whatever it is on, just in case. 🤨

I got a box of tests from my chemist, I was expecting to be given a single test?

Just asked and given a box, they did ask my age how many in my household and put it on a spreadsheet. So far not used any.

I got tests from the local pharmacy yesterday. Just walked in and asked and was given two boxes.

Ps - the logic of your not wanting to do a covid test in case its positive is kind of evading me if i’m honest - I’m hoping that as you clearly have a concern it could be covid, you’re not going out in public and risking passing whatever it is on, just in case. 🤨
I got a box of tests from my chemist, I was expecting to be given a single test?

Just asked and given a box, they did ask my age how many in my household and put it on a spreadsheet. So far not used any.
In my pharmacy, they entered my long code onto a form before giving me one box of 7 tests. A woman also wanted a box, but they refused to give her one without the code.

As she had a smartphone, they suggested she went outside to get a good signal, filled in all the info to get the code on her phone, then came back for the tests ASAP as they only had a few left.

Re the tests, I hadn't been going out except I had to get an urgent scrip and collect the box of tests at the same time. The pharmacy will NOT deliver :(

I took a test about 2 days later, and it was negative. I will take another one before going to OH's.

Someone somewhere doesn`t like my family at Christmas. Last year my oldest son was rushed into hospital on Christmas morning with covid. He was seriously ill and fighting for his life. Almost a year later he`s still suffering the effects of long covid.
This year my youngest son and his partner were coming to us for Christmas and lo and behold, he had to have a pcr test yesterday because 2 of the kids he works with had tested positive and now he`s positive too. It`s his birthday tomorrow and they had plans and they were due here on Christmas Day to spend some time with us. Thankfully unlike his older brother last year, he doesn`t feel ill so at least that`s a blessing.
My middle son called in yesterday and he`s working Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year`s eve and New Year`s day because that`s how his shift pattern has fallen. His Partner is a Doctor and has Christmas off but they will get next to no time together because he`ll either be working or in bed after a night shift.
I think we should all scrap Christmas (again) and hold it in July !

Anyone see the final final portrait artist of the year with Nicola Benedetti? Pure genius both artist and sitter. I’ve got to admit Andre Rieu isn’t my cup of tea too middle of the road lift musak .
Yes we watched it. That lad was definitely the best painter. Though sometimes we just can't weigh up how the judges pick the winner each week. Certainly the best one usually doesn't win.
The painting was not what you'd expect. A lot of yellow in it, seemingly sunshine coming through a pretty window on to her playing her violin. We couldn't decide if we liked it or not.

The ones he did of the emergency services were wonderful, possibly not in your home but in large public places would be stunning.

Perhaps it’s like cooking shows they look/taste different in the flesh, plus the judges on PAOTY are arty farty types and will always be inclined to the slightly different even though the likeness is not there .

Christian Hook was fantastic and has made a few TV programmes since added to the fact he seems a really nice person.

Although I watch it I’m not keen on landscape ones as I like a portrait or still life where you notice something different every time you look at it.

Yes we watched it. That lad was definitely the best painter. Though sometimes we just can't weigh up how the judges pick the winner each week. Certainly the best one usually doesn't win.
The painting was not what you'd expect. A lot of yellow in it, seemingly sunshine coming through a pretty window on to her playing her violin. We couldn't decide if we liked it or not.
Love love the series. He really took a risk but what a stunning painting. Kathleen looked a bit unsure, think we were all expecting the luminous quality of his work in the heats but good on him.

I would love to have a talent like that (even just a tweeny bit) but I’m useless at art.

I love, especially on holidays, visiting galleries and more often than not find little out of the way ones are much more enjoyable than the famous ones where it so busy it’s difficult to see anything especially if you are a short arse or standing in a queue for hours to see one painting.

Someone somewhere doesn`t like my family at Christmas. Last year my oldest son was rushed into hospital on Christmas morning with covid. He was seriously ill and fighting for his life. Almost a year later he`s still suffering the effects of long covid.
This year my youngest son and his partner were coming to us for Christmas and lo and behold, he had to have a pcr test yesterday because 2 of the kids he works with had tested positive and now he`s positive too. It`s his birthday tomorrow and they had plans and they were due here on Christmas Day to spend some time with us. Thankfully unlike his older brother last year, he doesn`t feel ill so at least that`s a blessing.
My middle son called in yesterday and he`s working Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year`s eve and New Year`s day because that`s how his shift pattern has fallen. His Partner is a Doctor and has Christmas off but they will get next to no time together because he`ll either be working or in bed after a night shift.
I think we should all scrap Christmas (again) and hold it in July !
Covid is going to be like Ebenezer Scrooge for a few more years to come imo. Until vaccines are available worldwide and taken by enough people, we will get it raging through the population, sadly.
I have a friend who caught covid in the very first wave in February, admitted to hospital in March. They are now into doubke figure on the number of operations they've had to have as a direct consequence. Young, healthy, but with underlying conditions... and no end in sight.
I am not surprised your son is still suffering.
I hope you find a special day for your real family celebration.

Agree, until all the people in 3rd world countries get vaccinated New variants will keep coming.

Omicron is sweeping the US at the moment, who so have 800,000 dead from Covid. Old Trump was booed by his followers because he admitted getting his booster.

BoJo as usual dithers with his wait and see.

Agree, until all the people in 3rd world countries get vaccinated New variants will keep coming.

Omicron is sweeping the US at the moment, who so have 800,000 dead from Covid. Old Trump was booed by his followers because he admitted getting his booster.

BoJo as usual dithers with his wait and see.
Trump was one of the first to politicise covid, and there are a number of other leaders around the world who have promoted quack solutions, conspiracy theories and dismissed the gravity of the situation. If he didn't like getting booed, he got off lightly. When you sow the wind, be prepared to reap the whirlwind.

We really need to look at people coming into the country especially from countries with very high rates of infection , immediately not a week down the line or at least restricted to those who have a predated return ticket,

Most of those in the covid wards are unvaccinated so when does an individual‘s rights outweigh the rest of the population? Despite refusing to get vaccinated when the end is neigh they are then pleading for the jab so somehow their principles go out the window after putting the rest of the population at risk.

Personally I would have liked a longer period of tests before having the 3 jabs but at my age it was a case of take a risk or become a prisoner in my home seeing no one from the outside world even the postie.

Covid is going to be like Ebenezer Scrooge for a few more years to come imo. Until vaccines are available worldwide and taken by enough people, we will get it raging through the population, sadly.
I have a friend who caught covid in the very first wave in February, admitted to hospital in March. They are now into doubke figure on the number of operations they've had to have as a direct consequence. Young, healthy, but with underlying conditions... and no end in sight.
I am not surprised your son is still suffering.
I hope you find a special day for your real family celebration.
Yes I think the Winter months including Christmas will be tough for a few years to come. At least in Summer we can socially distance outdoors which got me thinking about something. One of my sons has given me some money for Christmas and my birthday which is next week. I`m banning myself from buying any clothes, bags, shoes, perfumes or jewellery for the whole of 2022 so I saw a bench handmade by a husband and wife small company here in the UK. You can have it carved with anything you want and also 3D carvings of animals or birds, in fact anything. I`ve chosen this bench in the photo but I`ll change the word gin to wine. I reckon during Spring and Summer and with this dreaded virus will ensure I get some use out of it !
bench 2.jpg

Vienna the seat is a lovely idea.I hope your family come through the latest onslaught on bad health and have lovely days sitting with you drinking wine or anything else.Christmas is such a significant time of year and so much is made of it, not surprising it brings back lots of memories even the ones we would rather forget.I must admit I say I put my head down and let it go over me! Then breath a sight of relief once more! Not the way to look at things and that is why I used to enjoy going off on holiday, especially Spain where the celebration continued but at a much more relaxed pace.Let’s move the date to mid summer or any time we feel like a celebration without all this hype, Good luck.

I love a nice bench. When a young family member died under tragic circumstances I purchased a hand made bench for the church yard so we and any one else could sit for a while to just think.

It was oak and I wanted it to age naturally but the powers to be in the church committee decided to lather it with dark brown gunge! Still it didn’t stop people using it for the purpose I wanted it for.

There is a National Trust property we go to which has a climb up a very small hill to a fantastic view but nothing to sit on. I keep saying to Mr L when I die to get a bench positioned there but knowing how ****** unmoving NT is there is no chance.

Latest posts

Back