Help please

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

S

SparklyBarbs

Guest Shopper
Think we all need a laugh after all thats been going on these last few days, so here goes.

I put a bid in for a Lulu Bag on e bay, and put £10570.00, obviously by mistake, meaning it to be £105.70. (maybe bit tipsy)
So suprise suprise i've got the bag, but it sold for £312.00 and i do not have that sort of money. I have e
mailed the girl and explained the mistake and apologised , and i feel for her that she thought it was sold
for that amount. I suppose we have to go to resolution, and i've told her that, is there anything else i can do,
besides laying of the drink to sort this out. Any help welcome xx

Barbs ask the buyer to offer it to the bidder below you as a "second chance offer". Chances are the bids would have got close to what she got even if your bid stopped at £105.

Think we all need a laugh after all thats been going on these last few days, so here goes.

I put a bid in for a Lulu Bag on e bay, and put £10570.00, obviously by mistake, meaning it to be £105.70. (maybe bit tipsy)
So suprise suprise i've got the bag, but it sold for £312.00 and i do not have that sort of money. I have e
mailed the girl and explained the mistake and apologised , and i feel for her that she thought it was sold
for that amount. I suppose we have to go to resolution, and i've told her that, is there anything else i can do,
besides laying of the drink to sort this out. Any help welcome xx

Oh Bugger Barb, ooops! Now you haven't been taking a liking to the Grey Goose voddie I told you about have you lol? I guess if you just tell them it was an honest mistake Ebay will be ok about it. She'll probably sell it to the person who bid just before you. I've had a few second chance offers whereby that has happened. There must have been loads of people who really wanted it for that for it to reach that much money. No point in worrying luvvie, as no point in crying over spilt milk as they say. She;ll prob write back to you & say it's fine. I had someone who bought my table & chairs by mistake. I didn't report them, just told ebay that someone had made a mistake & could I have my fees refunded. They did so without any problem. Hope that helps xx.

You've done the right thing. You've explained your mistake immediately. The seller should get in contact with the person who got the second place bid. I'm sure they will be delighted.

Let us know how it goes.

No i've not been on the wherthers vodka since christmas, and i know whats happened. I put a bid in for £105.70 and when it asked me to confirm maximum bid, by mistake i put in £10570.00. See i wasnt drunk, innnocent of all charges. So i won it. he he Have e mailed her twice and no answer yet, and the bid below was only £5.00 less , so hopefully she'll be okay about it. Phew i knew i hadnt gone near e bay since the other night, so DD explained, and we realised my silly mistake. Thanks girls, will let you know what happens.x

:mysmilie_466:
I don't know whether to laugh or cry Barbs....I have only used Fleabay for the 'Buy it now' option - I was always too wary about doing anything else .... You've done the best thing admitting an honest mistake as soon as you realised.
I hope you get it resolved soon ... On the bright side it could have sold at £10,570!!

I met one of my dearest friends about 7 years ago when she bid £300 for a Nick Chavez shampoo (intending to bid £3). In those days buyers couldn't cancel a bid but had to appeal to the seller to do it if the auction was still running. She sent me such a funny email asking to cancel her bid and I replied in a similar vein we hit it off and have been mates ever since.

As a seller I'd be okay with sending the next highest bidder a 2nd chance offer. I'd probably look at your feedback to see of you're a habitual NPB. I had a buyer ask me to change a BiN to an auction (wtf) but looked at her FB and she's a habitual NPB so I replied politely and added her name to my blocked bidder list.

Jude xx

I'm sure it'll be fine too Barbs. I've done something similar myself but did notice before the auction ended and, it was easy just to cancel the bid. Good luck hun and let us know when you hear from the seller.

Despite e mailing and being totally upfront and upset i;ve not heard a word from her. I've not sold much on e bay, but i have all good reviews and have never never done anything like this before, and i think i need to get my glasses checked or go slowly, not put £10,570 without realsing it. I totally forgot all about the handbag and wouldn't have bid beyond the £105.70, but you live and learn

Just don't pay, and cover yourself by emailing ebay about it. If she dares to give you bad feedback repay in kind about her bad communication.

Right spent all morning trying to sort out on the web but finally had to phone e bay, waited ages and ages, and finally got through and explained and she gave me a phone number, as i'd still no reply from the e mail. Phoned and got the man's dad who said he could help, so i explained the situation, about how i'd meant to put 105.70 NOT 10570.00. I put it in too quick and didn;t realise the decimal point was in the wrong place. he he Well the father laughed and i said obviously i wasn't willing to pay 10.570 for the bag, and i offerred to pay the e bay fees, and the bid below was only £5.00 less and i offerred to pay that as well. He said it was okay, but this is him, not his son, so hopefully it will be okay, rather than going to resolution, and they have my number to phone me. Oh im is exhausted, must be the age, and my fast chubby fingers :)

Bless you Barbs. I think you've done everything you can. Hopefully the son will be as understanding as his dad ... and quite rightly so. It was a genuine mistake and if the next best bid was only a fiver short then he's lost very little. Hope he gets back to you soon.

Update, things are not looking good. Got a sharp e mail asking why i wanted his phone number and address. I explained e bay gave it to me to try and resolve the situation, i didnt ask, (and no address), and seeing as i hadnt heard i phoned. He then said he hasn't got a dad and doesn't want me talking to random people about him.
He said he was at work, so i explained again, offered to pay the difference in the lower bid and his sellers fees would he just let me know please, and he's totally ignoring me again.
Checked and its the right number e bay gave me, they flipping told me to do it. Im never going near it again, tell you that

Well I think you leave it at that Barbs. You made a mistake nothing more and if he is going to be a miserable toad then so be it. You've been honest and totally reasonable ... more than reasonable actually.

He can't bully you into buying the bag. Given the solution you've offered he is actually better off than he would be if you bought the bag!

So you leave it for buggerlugs to contact you now. If he wants to escalate it then you're in a good position.

I sell a few bits on ebay every now and then and sometimes people just don't pay. Its irritating but its just how it is.

Totally agree with Tinks, Barbs. You've already contacted ebay and explained so don't even consider paying. It may be worth you sending an email to ebay confirming your telephone conversation with them and telling them the outcome. They always come down on the side of the buyers so don't worry about anything, you've made an honest mistake and done your utmost to correct it. Rest easy hun.

Hopefully the seller will realise his best bet is to start a "mutual cancellation" thru the resolution centre. He'll get his seller fees back from ebay for the cancelled sale. If he's a regular seller he'll know the best time to offer a 2nd chance is as soon as possible after the end of the original auction so faffing around isn't in his best interest. Maybe when he gets home from work he'll see that you've been trying to email him.

He can't leave you negative feedback and imo leaving him a low DRS score for communication would be unfair. Personally I never leave feedback for a cancelled sale, whatever the reason.

If you get an unpaid item strike, don't take it to heart. It's still better than paying for the bag. An isolated strike won't affect your ability to bid and buy in the future. For instance my seller preferences are set to exclude buyers who have received 2 or more Unpaid Item Strikes in the past 30 days, and you'll find few sellers would exclude for an isolated strike. There are buyers who bid willy nilly never intending to buy, we used to be able to leave neutral or negative FB but they seem to carry on with impunity

I hope this helps, I'm just trying to explain how I'd handle it as a seller, not trying to be an apologist for this bloke, although I had a buyer ring me once and it was a little disconcerting. Surely his "dad" must have contacted him to let him know someone rang his home number. I hope he helps you get it sorted soon, it's horrible being in limbo.

Jude xx

I only rang because e bay told me to do it, why i don't know. I tried to sort it on the web but it wasn;t possible, easier for him to start, so e bay took me through what i had to do, and to try that first and if not go to resolution. Not had much to do with e bay, sold a bit of my QVC goodies last year, but thats the first time ever ive sold, and ive bought things, but not much, and always paid. Will wait and see

Latest posts

Back